Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Supernova (2000)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Supernova (2000)

It will amaze you. It will seduce you. It will blow you away. | guide

Old Jul 11, 2004, 11:03 PM   #1
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
Question Human Molecular Transfer?

Hard to believe what went down in this film regarding the molecular transfer of Bassett and Spader.

I mean, they got in the pod together, and after the transfer, he had one of her eyes, and vice versa! Uhmmmm no. What are the odds of that happening? Can you imagine the scientific results? Just put two things in a pod together and transfer them, and let "nature" take its course?

Furthermore, who has say over what things of yourself that you trade with the other person in the pod? What stopped Spader from comgin out with a vagina????
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 08:58 AM   #2
B Rh POS
Wing Commander
455 flights since Apr 2004
Re: Human Molecular Transfer?

Or coming out with a vagina and a penis. Would that be useful? Maybe not. It would be like having a vagina with a giant clitoris. I don't want to think about it.

Anyway, there'd have to some pretty sophisticated programming involved for successful molecular transference. I can imagine that if such a thing as genital swapation had occured then there must have been a bug floating around somewhere. I mean a glitch. In the programming.

Another movie comes to mind. I suppose we haven't learned everything there is to know since that problem occured in "The fly".
B Rh POS is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 05:17 PM   #3
mack
misanthrope

My point exactly, B. Are you saying that the glitch in the program was "small" since all they swapped were eyes?
Old Aug 10, 2004, 08:58 AM   #4
B Rh POS
Wing Commander

The problem with creating a program that works is that it may not not work correctly. Errors that aren't evident immediately because they rarely occur could become a problem later. Imagine an error occuring in a system controlling a nuclear reactor.

Anyway, human molecular transfer can't afford even the slightest error. Yet to test for every possible error in the software of a HMT module is close to an impossibility. Although, I'm thinking present day standards so I can imagine that future software procedures will be far more refined.

I have to add that the very fact that an error occured during transference must mean that small errors, perhaps hardly noticeable, occur during every transfer. Because of this the ramifications of long-term use of a HMT machine must be damaging.

I can only conclude by saying that the reason James Spader looks like a lesbian is that he's had to much exposure using the machine in conjuction with female passengers.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 09:37 PM   #5
mack
misanthrope

Quote:
Originally posted by B Rh POS
I can only conclude by saying that the reason James Spader looks like a lesbian is that he's had to much exposure using the machine in conjuction with female passengers.

Nope--James Spader is just a homosexual man, right?

Anyway, back to HMT: Why do you say that this one error must that small errors occur all the time? I thought that the error occurred because the HMT machines were meant to transfer one person at a time, and they transferred 2 people.

Cant that "error" be explained as misuse by the end-user? Giving the company protection from liability?
Old Aug 12, 2004, 06:47 AM   #6
Unregistered
n/a flights since

No, I don't think he's a homsexual. I just think that he looks like a lesbian. And if any lesbians find that offensive by any chance then I'm not sorry.

Okay, I haven't seen the movie in years, and the main thing I remember is thinking that Lou Diamond Phillips had really gotten old since La Bamba. But you see, the very fact that a significant error occured during transference, even if the HMT machine is only supposed to accommodate for one person, is evidence that the machine's ability to reassemble the human body at a molecular level is flawed.

If you consider the multitude of bacteria and other organisms proliferating throughout the air we breathe and probably occupying the HMT machine then the probability of an other genetic transposition is significant. And if you consider the multitude of organisms occupying the interior of the human body the probability increases. Finally if you include the possibility of errors occuring during molecular reconstitution, you have a sure case for negligence and breach of duty of care against the offending organisation.

Anyway, I think the channel 9 weather woman is hopeless.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 06:52 AM   #7
B Rh POS
Wing Commander

Goddamnit, I thought I signed in.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 11:16 AM   #8
mack
misanthrope

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
No, I don't think he's a homsexual. I just think that he looks like a lesbian. And if any lesbians find that offensive by any chance then I'm not sorry.

Well, since Im not a lesbian, no need to apologize to me!

Quote:
Lou Diamond Phillips had really gotten old since La Bamba.

Yes, but doesnt he look good for his age? I thought The Big Hit was a great movie. He also did a great job in this flick, although he wasnt too swift.

Quote:
If you consider the multitude of bacteria and other organisms proliferating throughout the air we breathe and probably occupying the HMT machine then the probability of an other genetic transposition is significant. And if you consider the multitude of organisms occupying the interior of the human body the probability increases. Finally if you include the possibility of errors occuring during molecular reconstitution, you have a sure case for negligence and breach of duty of care against the offending organisation.

Very true. It doesnt make sense, and in a way, legitimizes the argument and absurdity of the even using the machines. But I go back to my earlier point---perhaps the machines can purify or handle a certain molecular mass, but when you add additional body mass and molecular breakdown, it overtaxes the machine?

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Supernova (2000)