Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Innerspace (1987)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Innerspace (1987)

An adventure of incredible proportions. | guide

Old Mar 8, 2002, 10:31 AM   #1
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Re: Boozing It Up

Wasn't there a scene where Martin Short drank some kind of liquor and Dennis Quaid caught it going down his gullet in a flask so he could enjoy a drink? I was thinking, since he was microscopic in size, yet the molecules which make up the liquor were normal size, what kind of effect would you think a couple ounces of liquor would have on him. Wouldn't it be like getting the intoxication power of about 500 barrells of booze in just a couple of slugs?
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2002, 10:44 AM   #2
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000

You are right about that. Still speaking in microscopic terms I doubt his digestive system could chemicaly disolve the moleculs since they are not equal in size. I doubt any metabolistic function could interact with substances of diferent physic. Or at least it would not happen as we are used to....

Anyway this looks like a plot hole.
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2002, 01:53 AM   #3
floyd
Libertarian
1,140 flights since Feb 2002

normally, i would be quick to agree with you. And i do, in theory. But this is like that annoying PeeWee's Big Top Advetures movie, orwhatever it was that is always on comedy central early in the morning. The circus leader (lack of better term at the moment) had a wife who was only about 4 inches tall... which caused a subsequent head ache matched only by the ones recieved when reading demolition18's posts, but that's beside the point. She had a really high voice, and drank out of a thimble, and cooked very tiny eggs and bacon. This pisses me off, but the movie is so stupid, science doesn't apply. The same is the case for innerspace.

i hope this made sense, because my desktop clock says: 3:03am...
floyd is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 11:12 AM   #4
ThinWLady
Mrs. Tony Harrison
1,295 flights since Feb 2002

I don't remember this scene from Innerspace. But couldn't it be so that he could get drunk just by smelling the alcohol when he's so tiny?
ThinWLady is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 11:43 AM   #5
Ender
Wing Commander
305 flights since Apr 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by HighWiredSith
Wouldn't it be like getting the intoxication power of about 500 barrells of booze in just a couple of slugs?

i would actually think its the oposite. since he can only down a tiny amount of the unminiturized booze, he is actully drinking only a tiny bit, the real amount actually consumed wouldnt even be enough to make him smile!!
Ender is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 11:47 AM   #6
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

What was the method of miniturization again? It is possible tht he wouldn't be able to actually assimilate the stuff into his system
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2003, 10:59 AM   #7
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

I remember watching this movie (which I loved the first few times I watched it) and thinking "Wait a minute ... ?".

I'll have to be miniaturized, injected into someone's backside, make my way into his throat, persuade him to down a bottle of whiskey or whatvere, catch it in a flask and see what happens when I try to drink it. And then I'll tell you all about it

This movie is about a man inside a ship that is shrunk to molecular level - and you want all the science aspects to make sense?!
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 05:16 AM   #8
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

When I first saw this when I was younger, I always had a problem with that scene; there was something about it that just couldn't be right. And now that I have found this thread, in which the much more intelligent Sith has made, I now know what it is. And there I was, getting worried that poor Dennis Quaid would be getting germs...
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 03:30 PM   #9
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Eh it was a gag - some poor hack even got a bonus for thinking it up (this was Disney right?)

(but yeah I'd go with the alcohol molecules being too large to ingest comfortably)
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Innerspace (1987)