Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Back to the Future [movie series] > Back to the Future Part II (1989)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Back to the Future Part II (1989)

Getting back was only the beginning. | guide

Old Jan 5, 2003, 01:27 PM   #16
damn righto
Pilot
22 flights since Dec 2002
Re: Better Than The Original Movie!

I agree - BTTF2 was better than the BTTF1! I still love the original though.
damn righto is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 02:07 PM   #17
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Re: Better Than The Original Movie!

I've bought the new DVD box set and have just finished the entire series. Wow, it's unbelievable how much I still love them despite watching them so many times when I was younger.

Time travel is probably my favourite SF sub-genre, and I think you have to be the same in order to find the second one the best. The first one is definately a science fiction film, though comedy is arguably it's "primary" genre. I suppose you could look at it as a teen movie with a twist.

However, Part II is, first and foremost, a science fiction film and comedy second - in my opinion. While the first one makes me laugh more, I like Part II better because of all the time paradoxes.

The film's three sections - 2015, Alt. 1985, the Return to 1955 - are all great and the film gets increasingly better. Yes, I do find the futuristic part of the film the weakest (ironically, it's the most famous part of the film).

It's always the part where Marty goes to the alternate 1985 where I decide, "Yup, this truly is the best of the three films." The feeling I get when Marty arrives there is one of those indescribable, amazing feelings you experience whenever you come across one of those rare shocking scenes that still excite you no matter how many times you watch it.

One of my favourite things in time travel stories are when the future changes drastically due to something so little happening in the past, either by accident or on purpose. In all of the BTTF films, the future is improved. A happy ending. Not so with Part II, the odd one out. It's also interesting to see that it was neither Doc or Marty who screwed up, but Biff - who alters history in this way on purpose in order to become rich and powerful. It's Part II where Biff changes from a typical school bully to a true villain.

And then there's the "return to 1955" part of the film. The most fun sequence. The continuity is perfect, you'd think they filmed it at the same time as the first film. It's absolutely genius.

Part II is the point in the series where BTTF changes from a simple, fun story into something much more complex and imaginative, and even more fun. You can tell immediately that the writers are going, "After introducing all the major characters in the first film (which is the longest and slowest of the three), we're now gonna go straight into bigger adventures." Very much like Indiana Jones if you think about it (compare the breakneck pacing of Temple of Doom to the slowness of Raiders of the Lost Ark, which spent a lot of time developing its characters).

Shame the series went downhill with the third one. I like Part III (an 8/10), but after experiencing such an amazing movie like Part II, you wonder why they decided to make it so lite and simple. It has the worst plot - it's just about them trying to get back to the future with a couple of unimportant sub-plots on the way (Doc falling in love, Marty getting into a duel with Tannen). In the first film, the sub-plot about Marty's parents was actually important - it wasn't even a sub-plot actually...anyway, forgive me the for the long post. Bloody love this trilogy.

Part I - 9/10
Part II - 9/10
Part III - 8/10
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Back to the Future [movie series] > Back to the Future Part II (1989)