Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Andromeda Strain, The (1971)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Andromeda Strain, The (1971)

Rated G... But may be too intense for younger children. | guide

Old Oct 10, 2005, 06:16 PM   #1
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,025 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
Original Movie Poster

Personally, with this poster, I like the G rating at the top, but may be TOO intense for younger viewers.

Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:58 AM   #2
stewarde
111 flights since Jan 2005
Re: Original Movie Poster

No this movie definitely is a bit too much for the wee ones.

Nudity (partial) and the very intense subject matter. Now a days they couldn't make this without screwing it up but even if they made it today it would get an "R" rating easily.
stewarde is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 03:04 PM   #3
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor
309 flights since Jan 2001

I disagree. I believe this would get a "PG" rating, possibly "PG-13".

Many films today are released with a lot more objectionable material and still get a "PG-13" rating.
cabalcomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 04:15 PM   #4
stewarde
111 flights since Jan 2005

you must also take into account the fact that today there would be obscenities and and so many other things strewn into the movie.

Now if the movie were made today exactly as it were in 1971 it surely would have gotten a PG at the least.

But if they were to make it according to todays style and standard of filmmaking they'd find a way to juice it up to a "R" rating.

Last edited by Phlub : Jun 1, 2006 at 07:52 PM.
stewarde is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:44 PM   #5
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor
309 flights since Jan 2001

What rating a remake, if any were ever made, would get would depend a lot on the director and screenwriter assigned to the project. People have mentioned their dismay at the rating of this and other films from the early 1970s. One thing to keep in mind is that the movie rating system was new at that time. Films were not rated with the same intensity that they are today. Also, films then did not have as much sex, nudity or blood and gore as in today's films. Also, remember the "PG-13" rating did not exist until it was created in response to the human sacrifice scene (pulling the beating heart out of the victim) in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom". How movies were rated changed after that. Most films before then were rated G or PG only a few films were rated R before the early 1980s. In the 1970s an R rating was undesirable as it usually meant a potentially low boxoffice turnout. So applying today's rating standards to films of the 1970s, especially the early 1970s, does not work.
cabalcomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 07:54 PM   #6
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001

In light of that I guess I could agree with you Cabal. But the subject matter and style of the film really lend itself possibly still to a PG-13 rating.
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 05:36 AM   #7
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

I've not seen the film - but the poster implies dying babies, and dying babies are not generally considered G or U material.

And frankly, I doubt the film's suspence would last quite as long as the poster says it will

EDIT : "NOTE - no one will be seated durting the last 10 minutes" ... who the hell misses 120 minutes of a film and says "You know, I'll just catch the last 10 minutes"?!
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 11:07 PM   #8
Phlub
The Head Hunter

I don't think that it is as much an implication of dying or dead babies as it is one of people are mysteriously suffering or are mysteriously ill.

But either way a "G" rating is not what pops into my mind now.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 05:06 AM   #9
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Although I've just noticed the milk bottle - and suddenly all I can think is "3 Men and a Baby ... IN SPACE!!!"

Could make for a classic straight-to-video sequel
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:34 AM   #10
Phlub
The Head Hunter

Honest to god Splendi how do you come up with this stuff?

I can see the tagline now...

"In space, no one can hear babies scream..."

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Andromeda Strain, The (1971)