Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Thirteenth Floor, The (1999)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Thirteenth Floor, The (1999)

You can go there even though it doesn't exist. | guide

Old Mar 6, 2005, 12:52 PM   #1
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000
Welt am Draht (1973) (TV) - The First version of the Novel that inspired 13th Floor

Welt am Draht (1973) (TV)

Has anyone seen this? It is pretty hard to get is as I've read.

It is supposed to be very good and made in Germany, inspired by the same novel as 13th Floor from Daniel F. Galouye's, Simulacron-3.

IMDB Page
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 01:15 PM   #2
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Re: Welt am Draht (1973) (TV) - The First version of the Novel that inspired 13th Floor

I've seen "Welt am Draht". Personally speaking, I didn't like it very well. Fassbinder is one of the most important producer in Germany, but I don't like his style. "Welt am Draht" is very slowly, dry and even more confusing and complex than "The 13th floor". But, okay, it's from 1973...
Perhaps you find the movie as a copy from the german tv channel WDR or ARD.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 01:31 PM   #3
Ivan
Re: Welt am Draht (1973) (TV) - The First version of the Novel that inspired 13th Floor

Now that I finnaly saw it I must say that it is very good, and storywise much more interesting then 13th Flor adaptation of Simulacron novel.

There are many references that clearly show that Matrix creators used it as a reference in some aspects, like the exit through a phone booth idea. And the Green coloured simulated world.

I would recomend this movie to any fan of VR idea in movies.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 06:52 PM   #4
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Was Simalucron the base for the Matrix?
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 12:32 AM   #5
Ivan

I think it was at least influenced by it, also I think Whackowski brothers most definately saw Welt am Drath.

There are clearly many references but the development is different, the story is also about an individual who starts to doubt the real world is in fact real. He is also a programer that actualy himself creates virtual worlds much like it was shown in 13th flor. And while Matrix spawns into an all out action , this one goes for the Mistery thriller - drama feel. Where the main character notices these strange occurances, like people disapearing and people's memory of events being totally ereased.

He starts to wonder if he is loosing his mind or has the whole world gone mad.

Simulacron promotes the idea of a neverending chain of virtual reality worlds, each on top of another as oposed to the one level simulation of Matrix.

Last edited by Ivan : Aug 13, 2006 at 11:58 PM.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Thirteenth Floor, The (1999)