Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > 2001-2010 [movie series] > 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

The Ultimate Trip. | guide

Old Jun 14, 2004, 07:49 AM   #1
B Rh POS
Wing Commander
455 flights since Apr 2004
Beautiful propaganda

If this movie is Kubrick's masterpiece then it's only a masterpiece for its artistic qualities. Otherwise I believe its plot is lacking, it has little phsychological depth and many of its scenarios are presumptuous. In effect, it appears to be propaganda generated to strengthen American and western pride in the burgeoning space programme.
B Rh POS is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 12:40 PM   #2
narobi foss
Starfighter
73 flights since May 2004
Re: Beautiful propaganda

Quote:
little phsychological depth

i think you must have little psychological depth to come to that conclusion.
narobi foss is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 06:12 PM   #3
Autechre
Sector Marshall
734 flights since Jan 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by B Rh POS
If this movie is Kubrick's masterpiece then it's only a masterpiece for its artistic qualities. Otherwise I believe its plot is lacking, it has little phsychological depth and many of its scenarios are presumptuous. In effect, it appears to be propaganda generated to strengthen American and western pride in the burgeoning space programme.

what sort of propaganda portrays its future technological advances to be ultimately fallible?; to leave its "burgeoning space programme" extremely ****ed
Autechre is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 11:23 PM   #4
Drone
Sector Marshall
587 flights since Jun 2002

Wait a minute, are you talking about the mainframe?
Drone is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 09:57 AM   #5
THX
Recruit Pilot
13 flights since Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Rh POS

What, exactly, is that plot lacking?

It stretches over several thousand years, beginning at the dawn of man and ending at their next evolutionary stage.

Little psychological depth? What about man's violent struggle to survive and prolong its species against all costs, shown first with the bone-wielding ape-man and then the disconnection of HAL by his maker?

I'm not sure if this is the best kind of film to strengthen american and western pride in the space program....It's about a future where a robot controlling a ship goes ape-**** crazy and murders all but one of its human passengers.
THX is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 11:59 AM   #6
steve12553
Recruit Pilot
9 flights since Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Rh POS

I suspect you're confusing it with Eyes Wide Shut.
steve12553 is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > 2001-2010 [movie series] > 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)