Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Galaxy Quest (1999)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Galaxy Quest (1999)

The show has been canceled... but the adventure is just beginning. | guide

Old Jun 15, 2001, 01:52 AM   #1
Spirate
Starfighter
87 flights since Jun 2001
Exclamation Re: psht. Kids.

it was cool, except it turned out to be a kids movie. and I for one am definately not a kid... Even though....I ....Saw...it...?
Spirate is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2001, 05:34 PM   #2
zombie84
Wing Commander
376 flights since Mar 2001
Re: psht. Kids.

most of the films it spoofs are appropriate for kids anyway. i thought it was okay, i wouldnt have expected anything different. would you have prefered blood and guts and hardcore nudity in this lighthearted sci fi spoof? its not neccissarily a kids movie because there is plenty of humour that adults can enjoy, anything else would have seemed out of place.
zombie84 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2001, 05:30 AM   #3
specialbrew
Starfighter
51 flights since Jun 2001

I think GQ started pretty well, but unfortunately it's gradual shift toward plot and action just drained the film of humour. I think I wanted just all-out cynicism and nastiness between the thesps rather than the final tale of triumph and reconcilliation.

In the past, Tim Allen has always vaguely irritated me, but I'd have to admit that his GQ Shatnerisms were eerily spot on... however, I'd say the real Star Trek movie has yet to be made.

sb
specialbrew is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2001, 06:53 PM   #4
ToMo
Pilot
15 flights since Jul 2001

It was tim the tool man taylor in a uniform

but credit where credit's due it wasn't a bad film and neither was spaceballs but i wouldn't expect to see either of them in serious sci-fi collection. kids/comedy maybe.
ToMo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2001, 01:07 PM   #5
Xeno
Sector Marshall
751 flights since Mar 2001

GQ was great, good casts and brilliant balanced humor (although some was lacking in certain areas) Sigourney Weaver, Tim Alan and Alan Rickman is how i would rank the 3 main casts. Although Tim had the main sometimes the supporting will be better at his/her part. Alan Rickman was great as being the arrogant englishmen who thinks that his acting abilities should of made him into something greater then what he was. Brilliantly mocking what Star Trek stands for but also in a way strengthening what it upholds (frontiers, people) Thought GQ was great whther it was a kiddies film or not (i dont really think its only for children either) hehe plus we get to see Sigourney 'leverge' (Ed. um sorry)
Xeno is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2001, 05:01 PM   #6
specialbrew
Starfighter

Hmmm... while it's certainly off beam to consider GQ as a 'kids' movie or whatever, I think this clearly points toward GQ's major lack of satiric teeth; it should've been an out and out over 15s job only, with no redemptive qualities whatsoever. The actors should all have started out as complete, self-loving bastards, and finished as complete, self-loving bastards.

Although I think GQ is riddlelled with problems, it is in a different league to the appalling, laugh-free Spaceballs (aside from 'Yoghurt' - I'll give it that).

sb
Old Jul 13, 2001, 12:42 PM   #7
Xeno
Sector Marshall

lack of satiric teeth? i thought the star trek thing woulda done it! Tim started out self loving but didnt end that way, i agree that it wasnt completely mocking Star Trek but it held enough comedy. It however wasnt just meant to show everything bad bout Star Trek, it probably boosted it actually. Like during the convention when the boys was mocking their 'friend' in the toilets and Tim thinking bout wat GQ really holds and thing. BUT if u dont like this u probably wont like Evolution which could be said to have a parody bigger then the film. But hey they are still funny.
Old Jul 15, 2001, 06:39 AM   #8
specialbrew
Starfighter

I know what you're saying, but if you're going to hire top-line turns like Rickman and Weaver, somehow you expect the film to be far more adult and nasty than it actually turned out to be... I think I just wanted to see a different kind of movie, rather than the Star Trek love-in it ultimately was.

cheers

sb
Old Jul 15, 2001, 08:35 AM   #9
Xeno
Sector Marshall

actually i thought that was a great thing bout the film. and know i dont expect a film to be alot more adult, who cares? i mean top line actors can do small things too, they gotta. I mean would u keep doing big budget works, not even arnie can do that. Take Arnie for example, big top line actor and he goes to do wat um that school kid thingy and um the pregnant thing. (wheres Phlub when u need him!) like i said bout the Star Trek thing, not really the main point hating star trek, if the film was more daring i doubt that i would of liked it. It would be too adult whereas i (babysitting younger cousins) woulda enjoy a bit of childish humor even with the lack of satiric teeth. Its for the family, u wouldnt want death and the questioning of love and ethics u just want comedy that ur kids can barely understand, but comedy that u can understand quite easily.

PS i didnt really find it too Star Trek loving, i mean star trek DOES questions human issues whereas this just 'goes for it'.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 01:50 PM   #10
soviet-terran
Pilot
43 flights since Dec 2004

It was very funny, and while I am not picky I have freinds that would not watch a comedy with anything but, well comedy. While I like somewhat mixed things i can see why they chose this format, and WHO CARES. Its funny and fits the tool man.
soviet-terran is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 06:56 AM   #11
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

It's not just a kids film.
It's a film for anyone who likes Sci-fi, especially certain Original Series.

It's also just a funny film.

My brother dislikes 99% of sci-fi - as it is "unrealistic".
But he loved Galaxy Quest.

Go figure.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 03:20 AM   #12
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Maybe he liked the 'they're only actors' factor of it?

I don't think of it as a children's film either. A family film, certainly, but not exclusively for kids.
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 09:46 AM   #13
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Quote:
Originally posted by Jove
My brother dislikes 99% of sci-fi - as it is "unrealistic".
But he loved Galaxy Quest.

Go figure.
Possibly because part of the satire is directed at lack of realism?

Galaxy Quest is actually quite deceptive, it's dressed up as a 'family' movie, big & dumb when it's actually far more subtle (er..in some places).
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 03:04 PM   #14
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002

There are many priceless moments in this movie I have to say. One of my favourites though is having Sigourney Weaver of all people produce the line "Ducts, why is it always ducts?!"
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Galaxy Quest (1999)