Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Hollow Man (2000)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Hollow Man (2000)

Think You're Alone? Think Again. | guide

Old Mar 11, 2001, 10:30 PM   #1
sphinx
Recruit Pilot
9 flights since Jan 2001
Thumbs down Re: side-effects? or is it just his nature

i would like to know,
after 10 days with the serum in his body,
he was notisibly more violent.
would this be because of the serum,
or is he just a dirty pervert.

>sphinx<
sphinx is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2001, 09:59 PM   #2
>postman<
Apprentice
3 flights since Feb 2001
Talking LOL

Nah it's the serum, I think.
But he does do some rather 'dirty'
things... but hey, what would you do
if you were invisable??

I'd take alook at my friends and what they say when I'm not around...
>postman< is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2001, 04:56 AM   #3
WhiteRabbit
Wing Commander
335 flights since Jan 2001
Re: side-effects? or is it just his nature

I don't think it was the serum at all. Any evil or perverted thoughts that lurked at the back of his mind he could now act out, because his actions didn't have any consequences. After the realisation of what he could do with the invisibility, he didn't want to let the power go.. hence all the killing
WhiteRabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2001, 12:21 PM   #4
Garnet
Apprentice
3 flights since Dec 2000
Re: side-effects? or is it just his nature

I agree with WhiteRabbit. The only side effect was that he was quicker to resort to violence. But all the rest of the psychosis was his own.
Garnet is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 09:56 PM   #5
Unregistered
n/a flights since
The Ring of Gyges

This movie borrows a very great deal from Plato's "Republic", specifically the conversation between Plato and Glaucon about the story of the ring of Gyges. It goes something like this:

A guy, a humble, honest, hardworking guy, finds a ring in a big hole after an earthquake. he finds out that when he wears it and turns it in toward his palm, he turns invisible (Tolkien, anyone?). Not just invisible, but if he's in the company of other people, they don't see him disappear, they act as though he just left the room. He uses his exciting new power to steal, kill, and have sex with a lot of women (Not sure how that works, but...).

Glaucon then proposes that if the ring were given to a wicked man, then he would behave as Gyges did. Furthermore, he asserts that if the ring were given to a good man, he would do exactly the same thing! Such power would corrupt even the most upright of men, because we only do the "right" thing because we are afraid of the consequences that would be brought upon us if we didn't.

Plato spends a lot of time building up the definition of the good man, the good life, and the Good, and finally refutes Glaucon, proving that a truly good person does good because it is good, not because he is afraid of what will happen to him if he does wrong.

This is, of course, a horrifically simplified version of a very impressive argument that everyone should read for themselves. Also, read Plato's Allegory of the Cave, also in the Republic, and watch The Matrix again. Then watch Pi. It's all about ancient philosophy.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Hollow Man (2000)