Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Spider-Man (2002, 2004) [movie series]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Spider-Man (2002, 2004) [movie series]

With great power comes great responsibility. | I guide

Old Jun 30, 2006, 03:45 PM   #1
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
The Church Tower and the Symbionic Suit

There's probably a movie spoiler or two here, so tread with care.

Okay, watched the trailer a couple dozen times, even went through it frame by frame before recoiling with the shock a normal human being receives when he realizes he moving into the land of obsessed fandom. One of the first sequences shows Spidey in a very gothic setting, a stone tower or castle. I remember well the entire story arc of the symbiotic suit, Spidey found it during the Secret Wars, thought it was great for about 14 issues, then started to realize every time he woke up he had less and less control over it. Then, in one of my favorite issues, the suit and Spidey have out in the church. Spidey finally gets rid of it and guess who should come along...fellow Bugle reporter Eddie Brock...and Venom is born.

Amazing what an obsessed fan can glean from 120 seconds of film clips.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 04:24 PM   #2
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Re: The Church Tower and the Symbionic Suit

That's quite scary.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 04:52 PM   #3
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Here's what I got:
1. Spiderman in the symbiotic black suit which is not quite the suit we saw in the comics but something that just turns his regular Spidey costume black. In the comics it was solid black with the single spider emblem. I could also dissapear in seconds and morph into regular clothing.
2. Spiderman fighting the symbiotic suit (which is an alien lifeform - a parasite) in the church.
3. Eddie Brock looking up and saying "Parker." Looking a the floor and relative position, I am guessing this is during the same sequence, he walks in and sees Peter Parker fighting with the suit.
4. Short sequences with Dallas Bryce Howard who is playing Gwen, Parkers original love circa the original series, "The Amazing Spiderman" in the 60's and 70's. Gwen was killed in the sequence used at the climax of the first film, the Brookly bridge fight with Green Goblin, Comic Spidey went for the busload of kids, Gwen went into the river and died.
5. Quickie shot of Sandman, looking to be about 40 feet high and severly pissed off.
6. Also get a shot of Sandman's alter ego, Bill Baker or Barker maybe? Anyway, Thomas Hayden Church has classic bad guy features.
7. Evil shot of Harry at the opera, also a shot of Harry and Mary Jane in a tender moment.
8. Two very brief shots of Green Goblin on the glider, looks to be helmentless, can't tell if it's Harry but that's obvious.
9. An odd shot of Parker losing an engagement ring, a hint as to the current situation of the Mary Jane/Spidey relationship...on the rocks maybe?
10. Another interesting shot is of Harry in the secret room where his father hid all the Green Goblin goodies and what looks like one of those orb weapons from the first film exploding right next to his head. Maybe Daddy's not dead after all and is pressuring Harry into taking over the reigns.
11. The rest is fluff, longing headshots, that kind of stuff.

Again - a spectacular amount of stuff in just the teaser. Still wondering how it can all get crammed in.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 04:57 PM   #4
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005

Thomas Hayden Church has got to be pretty versatile. I can't imagine him being bad at all, though I'm sure he is fully capable of doing it. I'm just saying, he seems to be a relatively unknown, or at underused, actor from what I can tell.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 04:58 PM   #5
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

All sounds very awesome - but, speaking of cramming in, I'm still not sure about the "four villains" idea. I hope it doesn't do an X3 and try and cram in as many characters and sub-plots in one 90-minute film. Then again, the second film was something like 2+ hours, wasn't it?
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 05:54 PM   #6
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Pretty solid bet the fabled 4th baddie will be relegated to epilogue status, showing up right near the end to tie in with a fourth film. In fact, since no one has been cast in this role as of yet it's a good bet the sequences of the 4th baddie won't be shot until the end of production.

My real concern is the Harry/Goblin thing. Harry Osbourne has evolved into a really great character and is, in some ways, more interesting that Peter Parker. I just hope they don't shortchange Harry, turn in into a midless manifestation of daddy and then kill him off. On the flip side, the whole Goblin turning good guy and fighting along Spiderman thing that was rumored about a year and a half ago just turns my stomach. Hate to agree with Phlub...errr Stuart or Stewie or whatever...but I really wish they would have saved Harry for a final film or at least an entry all to himself.

But hey, Sam Rami has yet to dissapoint. I'll withhold judgement until May 07.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Spider-Man (2002, 2004) [movie series]