Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old Mar 13, 2004, 11:00 PM   #16
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001
Re: Great Sci-Fi Authors List

Too bad for you. It was a terrible movie but a great book. It is true that Vonnegut does not translate well to the screen, but this was just a BAD movie. The Slaughterhouse 5 film did not come anywhere near the book, but the film is not bad. Breakfast of Champions though...
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 11:34 PM   #17
becks-orion
Cluster Admiral
1,175 flights since Oct 2003

Yeah, what the hell was that all about? I watched that film and remembed thinking, ok, it's been a while since I've read the book, but I'm pretty sure it was a lot better than this.

I read that when I was about 14. Maybe not 100% appreciated itthen, but did when I re-read it later. Funny though, the images that stick with you.

At least BOC had Bruce Willis. The butchery my favourite author underwent by Willis's GODDAMN wife, still makes me weep bitter tears and wishes of painful death upon all involved.

And yes mack, you should read the Rama cycle. It's quite breathtaking.
becks-orion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 01:48 AM   #18
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by SF_not_Sci-Fi
Too bad for you.

Wow. The venom. The vitriol.

At least Brucie is a hottie! So becks-orion, which book did Demi decapitate?
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 02:09 AM   #19
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally posted by mack
Wow. The venom. The vitriol.
All that from 'too bad for you?'
I'm honored. It isn't every day that my posts serve as a canvas for a delusional mind of such great proportions.

I was just expressing my sympathy.

"Don't judge a book by it's movie."
Old Mar 14, 2004, 07:57 AM   #20
becks-orion
Cluster Admiral
1,175 flights since Oct 2003

Quote:
Originally posted by mack
So becks-orion, which book did Demi decapitate?

Striptease.

The character of Erin is funny, clever, beautiful and tough. And she could pole dance. Demi was utter ****e. In every aspect.

PLUS! They completely changed the second half of the film so that it no longer resembled the book at all. To desecrate Carl Hiaasen in such a way deserves punishment.

One better though- I once turned on the tv to an episode of Colombo where they TOTALLY RIPPED OFF a book by my second favourite author Ed McBain (Evan Hunter). His 87th Precinct detective novels are the best thing ever. He's been writing them for about 40 odd years and I've got about 30 of them. True they did acknowledge using his novel as the source of the story in the credits, but the damage was already done. THEY OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED.
becks-orion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 11:28 AM   #21
broken tusk
Wing Commander
461 flights since Jul 2003

I like

Timothy Zahn
Kevin J. Anderson
Michael A. Stackpole
Aaron Allston

all for Star Wars

for sci-fi fantasy
Like Barb & J.C. Hendee for "Dhampir" and "Thief of Lives"
And I like Laurell K. Hamilton for her Anita Black Vampire Hunter series and for her Meredith Gentry series.
broken tusk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 12:11 PM   #22
Autechre
Sector Marshall
734 flights since Jan 2002

Though technically a non-fiction writer, Malcolm MacPherson's "Black Box" series of books do more for evoking science fiction imagery than any genre abiding novels could. Its basically transcripts of black box flight recordings of airline pilots' last words before they die, and how they react.

Ive always been a fan and assimilator of the "invisible literature" of technical manuals, company reports, journals, etc. and i think they **** on the standard SF "rocket and planet" storys from a great height; same with devices like time travel and telepathy; which actually prevent writers from using their imaginations at all. SF writers treat time like a glorified scenic railway, when it should really be treated as some sort of perspective of the personality, i think.

Ballard stands out, and Philip K. ****
Autechre is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 11:59 PM   #23
Drone
Sector Marshall
584 flights since Jun 2002

There's not too many good sci-fi authors. I can read Clarke and Asimov, I guess. I wish I still had time to read, but I've gone from about 7-10 books a month to about...maybe 1/2 chapter every two weeks. I already feel like I'm losing my vocabulary, but I was willing to give up all that for something else...Most of what I read was non-fiction too. I do remember reading a scifi book about this alien race that is being observed by humans in synchronous orbit. The gravity of the planet's about sixty-seven billion times that of Earth. All sorts of normal chemical reactions are replaced by neutron reactions. The cheela - an alien race I remeber - are the inhabitants. Eventually contact is established between the two...

Last edited by Drone : Apr 27, 2004 at 08:30 PM.
Drone is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 07:06 AM   #24
Vorlon
Pilot
43 flights since Oct 2003

Probably my favourite is Ian m Bainks. truly some evil $hit.
Vorlon is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 07:46 AM   #25
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

My sci-fi library consists primarily of:
AC Clarke - good story-teller, though more about the science than the plot.
Asmiov - great ideas - just not very good at dialogue. Better at short stories / novellas than the full novel. (The Foundation series was originally novellas).
AE van Vogt - a fun author to read if you want weird 50s/60s visions of the future!
Ian M Banks - some of the best modern SF you will read.
Heinlein - some great books but I get tired of his preaching style and his insistence on always going on about polygamy / multiple-adult families.
Frank Herbert - Dune is still my favourite single SF book. I like the entire series and even liked the latest mini-series.
David Brin - his Uplift universe is really quite imaginative and his books are usually quite pleasant and thought-provoking. And he has some great ideas, such as in his novel "The Practice Effect" - where things physically improve the more you use them!
Harry Harrison - his Stainless Steel Rat books are an eminently readable series.

These are the authors I seem to have most of, although they make up only a small fraction of my SF & Fantasy library.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 09:20 AM   #26
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally posted by Jove
Asmiov - great ideas - just not very good at dialogue. Better at short stories / novellas than the full novel. (The Foundation series was originally novellas).
[/b]
That's the 1940-1960 Asimov. The Asimov of the 70's 80's and early 90's is a more mature and well rounded writer.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 03:09 PM   #27
Drone
Sector Marshall
584 flights since Jun 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by SF_not_Sci-Fi
That's the 1940-1960 Asimov. The Asimov of the 70's 80's and early 90's is a more mature and well rounded writer.

I agree!

Last edited by Drone : Apr 27, 2004 at 08:41 PM.
Drone is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 05:17 AM   #28
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

A fair point. Most of my collection of his is indeed from his earlier period, so this has probably tainted my view. Any particular books you recommend from his later period?
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 03:04 PM   #29
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by broken tusk
And I like Laurell K. Hamilton for her Anita Black Vampire Hunter series and for her Meredith Gentry series.

Riiiiiiight! I gotta say--I would describe Laurell in one word: potent. For anyone into the vampiric erotic, she really captures the continuum between good girl/bad girl, or the transformation from innocent girl to sexually conscious seductress (and all the inner conflict between). I don't think I have read anyone as detailed, or as emotionally intense as her in long while---->although Rusch is doing a semi-good job, minus the vampires and eroticism.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 03:20 PM   #30
broken tusk
Wing Commander
461 flights since Jul 2003

Hay mack have you read all of the Anita Blake books? She's really not the same charactor anymore is she?
broken tusk is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room