Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Old May 25, 2006, 06:06 AM   #46
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Re: Rebuilding main sciflicks site, can users help Ramses?

Rightyo.

Finally, I can get off my computer and revise.

Last edited by Nexus : May 25, 2006 at 08:14 AM.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 06:19 AM   #47
Ramses
Administrator
209 flights since Jul 2000

I am open to suggestions regarding the 5 components; Ramses doesn't have infinite wisdom (yet), so I'm definitely relying on your input to make this a GREAT feature!

As some of you described, the goal is both to provide a more refined analysis and to prevent obsessive fans from rating all-or-nothing as seen on many, many sites. (ie Vin Diesel appeals to many women, but that doesn't mean his films should deserve a 10.)

About the science bit, SciFlicks has often had a bias towards sci-fi a lot more than fantasy. Star Trek, Aliens, Total Recall, Gorgo... while not being hard science do make the viewer feel like it could be technically possible, they're the movies that interest kids into becoming engineers and scientists (or software developers ). Weird Science, Flash Gordon (1980)... well... the science does seem feeble and weak. It's debatable whether this rating criteria should stay or be replaced, as I said above I'm open to modifications.

Tilt -> Overall satisfaction. Seems reasonable as there should be at least one criteria for sheer appreciation, despite technical flaws. If tilt isn't precise enough, we'll go with your definition instead.

Effects are included in audio/visual/cinematography. I was just juggling with words in different places, sorry for the confusion.

Oh, and just to make sure, the scale is currently from 0-10, not from 1-10 as IMDB/amazon does: no free points for effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus
While I don't like biased reviews, it would seem a bit weird - blasphemy, even - that, say, a non-prequel Star Wars film got a mediocre rating just because of the occasional dodgy acting and dialogue.

You are referring to the Star Wars Holiday Special (1978), right? Ah!, a fine piece of forgotten entertainment history!

We could indeed have 2 ratings for each movie: one analytical and serene (from reviewing pilots), another quick and dirty 1-scale rating (w/o review). I'll add it to the TODO list. Both systems probably won't be online together at first, but I'll add the second one shortly.

Great stuff!
Ramses is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 06:28 AM   #48
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

(Pitch Black does, ok maybe an 8.5)

So films are to be judged on realism - the more potential they have to appear real (science) the better they are? Some people like things that aren't grounded. I do think it's a good part of the ratings, because you do get irritated when films get unbelievably stupid, but there's a whole big fuzzy area there too. It's like saying 10 = banana, 1 = pear, but 10 is better than 1.

We have 0s? Oh this is gonna get interesting.

edit:

Quote=Nex? Ramses has been playing on other VB boards. By the way are we gonna see this version upgraded (so we get the streamlined quotes etc), or new stuff 'plugged in'?
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 07:50 AM   #49
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

0s, eh? Well, that could be useful for SF films that don't really explain their science...
Old May 26, 2006, 08:14 AM   #50
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000

It would be best if he had both of "two worlds"

But just an observation. Isn't it that "Tilt " as overal satisfaction would actualy represent a single "dirty rating" as you describe it?

Then what is the sense in having a category for "tilt" that would go into a statistical mark and then have another one that basicaly represents the same thing as subjective dirty rating .

I think that 99% of users would give the same mark for these two.

Also I quite like the "Brain food" and "Popcorn fun" category idea since ideally a movie should have both. Like for example the first Matrix.
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 08:22 AM   #51
Seraph

I'm now torn between popcorn/bran food and just using existing tilts/overall satisfaction stats for a popularity field.

If there's giong to be all these different ratings fields, does this mean we can sort them by rank on invidival ratings? ie most sciencey, best script etc? You wouldn't need to pull out tilt then as people could look at that too. Be a fun way to delve deeper into the site.

With Cast - does that encompass direction, casting and acting? Just checked it is.
Old May 26, 2006, 04:05 PM   #52
Quintessa
Sector Marshall
875 flights since Jul 2004

It would be cool to list what donut awards movies get as well on the movie profile pages, I think.

Edit: Oh, and I'm not sure I like the faded color. It might just be me.
Quintessa is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 04:08 PM   #53
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

Yes!

The SciFlicks Golden Donut Movie Awards was one of the funnest threads we ever did, it'd be great if we listed under Movie Info what awards the film got.
Old May 27, 2006, 05:04 AM   #54
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

For those who have forgotten (or were otherwise not in the know) ...

The Sciflicks Golden Donut Awards 2005!
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 05:17 AM   #55
Seraph

Hell yes on the Donuts - er please?
Old May 27, 2006, 05:18 AM   #56
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Come to think if it ... I want a real donut

I'll have to settle for toast

Are the Sciflicks Golden Donuts going to be a regular annu8al occurence, Nex?
Old May 27, 2006, 05:23 AM   #57
Seraph

He will if he knows what's good for him...

I like the fade Quint it lightens the place, but I doubt it will be here in a few weeks as the forums are also going more towards this: http://go.sciflicks.com/demo/SciFlicks_V_beta2.jpg
Old May 27, 2006, 05:26 AM   #58
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

Yup.
Old May 27, 2006, 05:27 AM   #59
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

hope I'll be able to get used to the whitness of it all

I'm a little thrown by change, sometimes
Old May 27, 2006, 07:01 PM   #60
Oscar
Sector Marshall
756 flights since Feb 2002
Thumbs up Re: Rebuilding main sciflicks site, can users help Ramses?

I really like the new slightly lighter and fading background.
Oscar is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems