Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Old May 30, 2006, 06:21 PM   #1
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001
Adding all of these forums...

In light of Ramses recent appearances to the squad, it seems to have had a "whiney" effect on some.

The calls for new movie forums are always constant at the squad and it is completely fair of us to ask for new forums, but one thing I believe that we must all consider when asking for new forums is are we really going to use these forums or are we just asking for luxury forums that are there when we want them to be?

Because as I have begun to sort through all the requests for new forums, one thing that has stood out too me is all of the forums for miniscule movies, and I will not name those requests to spare those who requested said forums any embarassment.

But still we need to look at our requests and there are many forums that would see a steady amount of traffic like a Batman or Superman forum.

So what I think should be considered when we are asking for new forums, is how much is a <insert movie title here> forum going to be used?

These forums by no means have to be frequented as much as the highly busy forums like Matrix, X-Men, Predator, etc, etc.

But a steady stream of conversation would be good, that way we don't waste the prescious space and money of Ramses.
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 06:57 PM   #2
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Re: Adding all of these forums...

Most standalone, sequelless, non-TV films just don't often get that much discussion. Most of us agree that Dark City is a superb film, but we eventually ran out of things to talk about. However, maybe one day, in a year or two, someone will make a very interesting and thought-provoking thread in that forum that might get popular. Which forums will be big "hits" is too unpredictable. Besides, we don't want to be like, for example, ASciFi and attract one-post-only members with usernames like "iluvriddick" forever. Forums for films like La Jetee can attract a more diverse group of SF fans, even if there's very little to talk about for that movie...
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 07:02 PM   #3
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

As a completist, I tend to be on the side of "the more the merrier".

Naturally, though, this takes a toll on Ramses' wallet.

It's a conundrum.
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 07:03 PM   #4
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Surely you're not suggesting we have to get rid of the forum for The Bamboo Saucer!
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 02:22 AM   #5
homeworldrelic
Starfighter
104 flights since May 2004

Luxury forums?
homeworldrelic is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 02:40 AM   #6
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001

Well I just want to know what is the point in making a forum for a movie that nobody will discuss or use?

There are 2 or 3 forums on these boards with zero posts.

That is the whole point nex of us not becoming like ascifi. Because ascifi makes forums at the whim of members and they get all sorts of 1 post members. If you look here at SciFlicks nex, SciFlicks has obviously managed to build a solid community that keeps people coming back time after time.

Look for example at Ivan, Sith, Iwata, Yourself, and Splendi as the best examples. You have all been coming here for years. That is in part due to the rich discussion that SciFlicks has to offer everyone. Now save forums like the infamous and now dead Predator forum in which some were more like the wild west than a civilized message board, many forums such as the Alien forum, Dark City forum, Terminator, X-Men, 2001, etc offer many rich discussions.

Though it is a requirement for any Sci-Fi movie board, the Alien forum here has become my favorite forum to visit here because of all the fantastic Alien discussion that members like Sonny (no not that Sonny, a different Sonny who happened to pick the name), Seraph, Splendi, and others have contributed to on a daily basis make it intensely interesting.

I think that the more QUALITY boards we have, even at the expense of quantity, the better off we are, because that way Nex we are able to attract QUALITY members such as yourself or Iwata who contribute to the discussions of Sci-Fi movies as productively as anyone on the internet.
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 02:50 AM   #7
homeworldrelic
Starfighter

Quote:
Now save forums like the infamous and now dead Predator forum in which some were more like the wild west than a civilized message board,

And whos fault would that be?

Now why you ask would I post this here...well I'm suggesting that all problems on this site are your fault.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 07:55 PM   #8
Dajistano
326 flights since Jun 2002
Post Re: Adding all of these forums...

I'm still for having one general forum for all the questions.

And homeworldrelic- Your signature is too big...
Dajistano is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 04:41 PM   #9
homeworldrelic
Starfighter

indeed

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems