Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old Jul 5, 2007, 05:06 AM   #31
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002
Re: Can We Discuss Fantasy Literature?

Hmmm, I shall have to seek out (and destroy) this 'Damnation Game' you speak of ...
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 02:56 PM   #32
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
Lol a thread me for! I love fantasy type books, shame there isn't much mention of DragonLance (unless I need to put on me glasses) the but sort of authors I go for are:
*Anne McCaffry
*Maggie Fury
*Terry Brookes
*Weiss and Hickman
*Tolkein (I prefer the Hobbit)

That's all I can think of ATM. I'm having tea so I can'y say too much lol! *^_^* lml

I hear they are going to make Terry Brooks' Sword of Shanarra series into a series of films. I've read several but it's been years and they kind of blend in to other Fantasy series' I've read.

My current obsession is getting through Robert Jordan's hefty fantasy tour de force.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 01:54 AM   #33
Sharky
Cluster Admiral
1,670 flights since Nov 2001

[whisper] Shhhh! You're not supposed to tell people that you have the Dungeons and Dragons DVD and went to see it when it came out! [/whisper]
Sharky is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 08:25 AM   #34
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
But one thing I was grateful for in the Harry Potter filums was I never knew how to pronounce Hermione and because me mate was also dyslexic nor could she!

That's always an irritation for me when reading fantasy and sometime Science Fiction - how does the author pronounce the names he/she creates. That is one reason I enjoy books with glossary's in the back, like Wheel of Time or Dune which include pronunciations of the names.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 01:40 AM   #35
Sharky
Cluster Admiral
1,670 flights since Nov 2001

I remember the BBC had to ask Christopher Tolkein some of the pronounciations when they did the LOTR on the radio. I still love the radio version. Ian Holm as Frodo gives the century's greatest vocal performance ever.
Sharky is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 02:38 PM   #36
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Speaking of D&D the movie.

Rules for making fantasy films:

Rule Number One: All characters should speak in classic British accent. There's something wholesale unbelievable and downright silly about hearing American accents in a fantasy film. This rule can be expanded to include all modern, popular venacular, phrases, cliche's, slang, etc.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 01:19 PM   #37
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Yeah, techincially (if you really want to get technical), I suppose fantasy, if it is indeed intended to be set around the fabled time of King Arthur (around what, the 10th century maybe) - would nearly always predate The Battle of Hastings and the infection of Norman Culture upon the existing English culture of the day (those damn French again). Soooo, any fantasy type fairy tale creatures great and small would in fact speak in uncomprehensible Celtic babble or at the very lest an ancient form of Old English (something akin to the language that Beouwulf was written in) which is also incomprehsible babble. Even if we were to post date said fantasy type epics into the 13th too 14th century, around say the time of Chaucer, then still we would be dealing with Middle English, better than old, but still quite archaic and difficult to understand.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room