Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old Oct 24, 2006, 01:03 PM   #16
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Re: What Are You Reading Now?

Completed Fires of Heaven and started The Final Reflection last night and already I am wondering how this amazing little book escaped my notice for so many years.

HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 09:06 PM   #17
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWiredSith
Completed Fires of Heaven and started The Final Reflection last night and already I am wondering how this amazing little book escaped my notice for so many years.

For some reason I could never get into TV or movie-based novels. The only exceptions were Star Wars' "Shadows of the Empire" and the Thrawn Trilogy.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 09:14 PM   #18
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005

Alongside Moby D!ck, I'm reading The Butlerian Jihad and I think it's pretty good. They seem to be using updated astronomy knowledge, which is pretty cool.

But I think the writing is decent as well, but so far not really much more than brain candy (though not drivel, I'm enjoying the machines and the cymeks (machines with human brains).

I'm only about 70 pages into the 700-page novel, so I don't know whether I'll end up feeling inspired by it in some way or not. I think I'll probably find a way to like it, but I am curious to see how I'll compare Brian H. & Kevin A. with Frank when I get back to the original trilogy.

Last edited by toomuchcoffee : Oct 25, 2006 at 07:55 PM.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 06:09 PM   #19
Sonny
Wing Commander
444 flights since May 2006

Umm well If Im being honest my current reading material is "Inside SQL Server 2005: T-SQL Programming". However, I'm also trying to find time to read "Pyramids" by Terry Pratchett, part of the Discworld series.
Sonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 09:32 AM   #20
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny
Umm well If Im being honest my current reading material is "Inside SQL Server 2005: T-SQL Programming". However, I'm also trying to find time to read "Pyramids" by Terry Pratchett, part of the Discworld series.

Nobody ever reads that. I am in class right now learning all about Active Directory 2003 DNS Management. Yesterday was Group Policy Managment, that was kind of fun. Nice to know that Microsoft gives us the ability to become vicious network dictators (like Hitler - oops, I guess this discussion is now over, whatever the hell that rule was...). But, otherwise a snore. I am ready to go home (in Oregon this week).
Old Nov 2, 2006, 09:35 AM   #21
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

BTW - The Final Reflection was pretty good - not classic or timeless by any means, but a solid novel with some great characterization. Also enjoyed the hefty doses of Klingon lore.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 06:15 PM   #22
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005

I just started Black Robe by Brian Moore. One reviewer somewhere thought that its depiction of culture-clash rivals that of the culture clashes of different species in most science fiction novels. I don't know about that yet, but I love the movie. It is known (and also disregarded, I think) because it did not attempt to be politically correct in the way Dances With Wolves was (though I do like that movie).

Black Robe (Novel)

Black Robe (Movie)

I'm also finished The Butlerian Jihad and will get around to starting The Machine Crusade soon. I'm not sure what to say about these books. The writing is actually pretty good, but I have trouble wanting to finish them because I know there are better books to read and, given how brief life is, I should be picky about what I read. I would be able to enjoy these books more if I had all of the history and other important readings behind me, but being as unwell-read I am with regard to subjects that I OUGHT to be familiar with, I felt while reading The Butlerian Jihad that I should be reading something else. TBJ is fine for leisure, but I don't feel that I've earned the right to be leisurely with my reading. (I started reading them mainly because my boss at work has read them, so I decided to read them just to be able to talk about something.) Actually, they're not bad, and even pretty good, but I just feel as though I should read something else (Blood Meridian looks REALLY good).

Last edited by toomuchcoffee : Nov 5, 2006 at 08:27 AM.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 09:02 AM   #23
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendiferous
I've just started Plato's Republic. I may very swiftly move back to Sharpe

make sure you read the chapter on The Cave; it's very interesting.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 09:21 PM   #24
Iwata
Autarch

Reading Enemy of God.

Thanks again, Splend.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 03:20 AM   #25
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

I've read The Cave before, seperately, it's very interesting. Candles and shadows and whatnot. Anyway, I've not been reading that for ages, I've been too busy trying to finish Sharpe's Waterloo

I think Enemy of God is my favourite in that trilogy, Iwata. There's a bit with a chicken bone that had me shouting at the book

Incidentally, regarding Enemy of God ... HAH! MADE YOU LOOK!
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 03:51 PM   #26
Iwata
Autarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendiferous
I think Enemy of God is my favourite in that trilogy, Iwata. There's a bit with a chicken bone that had me shouting at the book

I was grinning on that bit. I really despise Lancelot, and I was almost begging the Gods not to let her marry him.

And no you didn't.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:11 PM   #27
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

AHA! I knew you couldn't resist saying it! Which means that you saw it! Which means I DID! I WIN! I WIN!

And yes, Lancelot is a villain in the true boo-hiss sense. It's not so much that you want him dead, it's more that you want the main character to cut out his organs and roast them over a fire.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 09:18 AM   #28
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

I just started reading Asada, the autobiography of the American freedomfighter Asada Shakur. Very powerful. The first chapter made me want to smash something. Preferebly a pig.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 09:38 PM   #29
Caleb2k4
Recruit Pilot
13 flights since Jul 2003

I'm reading The Thing by Alan Dean Foster, based on a slightly different script by Bill Lancaster, only picked it up a day ago or so, pretty much follows the movie but with more insight into the lives and daily routine of the men etc, theres a few chapters in the book that never made it into the movie due to time, money constrains and technical limitations.

So far a really good read.
Caleb2k4 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 03:56 AM   #30
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Alan Dean Foster novelised the Thing as well? Is there no good script this man can't improve?! (By which I mean - yay, I must find this book)

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room