Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

This is the forum to get to know your fellow pilots and the ONLY place to talk about everything else not really relevant to sci-fi movies, including your personal loves and interests. A true pilot doesn't discuss these issues while on duty.

View Poll Results: What are you? (Insert joke here)
Buddhist 1 2.94%
Hindu 0 0%
(Christian) Roman Catholic 2 5.88%
(Christian) Presbyterian 0 0%
(Christian) Variation 5 14.71%
Jewish 1 2.94%
Muslim 0 0%
Athiest (Militant) 4 11.76%
Athiest (Live and let live) 12 35.29%
Other (RELIGIONS YOU HAVE NAMED AFTER YOURSELF DON'T COUNT!) 9 26.47%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 30, 2003, 01:46 PM   #16
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002
Re: Caution! Religion!

Militant Christians and Militant Athiests are almost as bad as each other. It's like they follow each other round just to fight. Christianity is like 3000 years old, its not gonna die just cuz you say so! And "Love_The_Lord_2000", Athiesm is even older, so stop condemning me ta hell!

On a more serious note, I like to know what drives people. Religion is one of the biggest factors in that, along with race. I was also curious, you know, just what sort of community we have here. So far, it seems to be mainly from a Christian background. I find that interesting, but I haven't figured out just why yet.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 01:56 PM   #17
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Don't mean to nitpick, but Christianity is only 2000 years old. I also find it interesting that you speak of athiesm as a religion. I would think athiesm is the absence of religion if religion is defined as the belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 02:00 PM   #18
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

oops. My religion teacher will be heartbroken. I would consider Athiesm a Religion. It has its own system of beliefs and ways to explain things just like any other religion.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 03:24 PM   #19
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

I wouldn't agree that those two points alone define a religion. Atheism, at least in every instance in which I have encountered it, has always been about disbelief in the unseen or unexplalained, an absence of faith in preference to fact and/or the observable. Athiests (at least those I have known) immerse themselves in science to the point where science becomes their religion, their way of explaining everything. Yet science is not a religion. Religion is about the belief in the unseen, faith in things not observed or proven in scientific terms. But science can only answer some of the questions that have plagued mankind. Religion is an attempt to answer those things that science, logic, and observation cannot effectively answer.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 03:28 PM   #20
3years
Starfighter
70 flights since Jan 2003

Theres only one person I warship and thats SATAN lol Just kidding Religion all good budas seem cool
3years is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 03:33 PM   #21
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Hmm. Perhaps not in he strictest...English sense...errr. Well, no, I suppose you can't define athiesm as a religion. But I would consider it an equivalent. Just as the religious immediatly turn to their faith when they have difficulty in explaining something, Athiests immediatly seek a scientific explanation. Athiests can be as passionate about what they do/do not believe as believers. Just as Islam is incomprehensible to a lot of Christians, Faith is incomprehensible to many Athiests.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 04:14 PM   #22
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

Thtas one of the good things about being open to others religions. I've been studing Islam and some of my friends(I won't say that they are catholic, oops) said that I should stop because its bad. I couldn't belive them. It made me sad to see some of their reasons why too. I do have one good catholic friend though that has alot of the same views as me though. I just keep an open mind about religion and keep it at that.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 04:22 PM   #23
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Aw man! I was in a chatroom the other day, and in came a militant Christian. He starts rowing with EVERYBODY including other Christians, but just to show you the depth of his arguement, when I told him I was an athiest, he told me to"Go to Hell with my Demon God Allah." Just with more capitals, and worse spelling.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 04:25 PM   #24
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle

I wish more people liked history. If only those people liked history. That might change his point of view. Islam is an amazing belive system. I could study it for many years to come.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 04:30 PM   #25
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

It would be stupid of me to ask you to define an ancient and complex religious system like Islam. But I'm going to anyway....
Old Jan 30, 2003, 04:52 PM   #26
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

an intresting quote on releigon

"If God did not exist then it would necessary to invent him
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 05:12 PM   #27
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

I think Douglas Adams hit the nail on the head with his "God Vs. The Babelfish" Arguement.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 07:08 PM   #28
The one......
Sector Marshall
600 flights since Dec 2002

I was baptised into the RC world, but havin the mind that I do, I decided at a young age that I resented being told what I could and couldn't do and the peunishment of hell in ma face.

So athiest I was, until someone close died. Then spiritualism is ma bag baby. I must say that it has helped me through a lot, but it was certain experiences that happened (mentioned these in other posts) and cannot be explained with neither science nor logic. I've had my proof and am wholly satisfied. So think I'm sticking with the latter.

Not that it really matters as Jilly said you should be individual and make your beliefs yours.
The one...... is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 07:59 PM   #29
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle

Quote:
Originally posted by jill_valentine
It would be stupid of me to ask you to define an ancient and complex religious system like Islam. But I'm going to anyway....

Islam started with the same base as christiananity and added the thought to treat cristians and jews as people of the book(Bible/coran). This in mind shows that if Islam is followed like it was then(With no politics) things might just settle down in the middle east and peace might just find its way throughout the world. If Islam and Christianity stopped all this political power bull**** things might just be better in the world.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 09:51 PM   #30
JACKER
The Paradisal Man
1,359 flights since Dec 2001

Religon is horse sh!t! Every religous person I know is angry, bitter, rude, and unhappy. I think back to one of the old threads where Ivanhoe said it best: "God to me is just like a caveman explaining lightning." You can't tell that to anyone who firmly believs in God though.

Religon started with politics (they have been seperated now) where someone or a small group of people found a way to control a society. They told everyone there is a God who gives rules and if you don't obey those rules, you will be tortured for all eternity. They then hired the best writers they could find to go to work. And ladadadadada...we are here now. So religon is and always was a governemnt conspiracy.

It's hard for me to say I don't believe in God anymore. It's hard to stop believing what you've been told everyday since day one and that's why so so many will always believe in God. So so many are afraid not to anyway. No point in me explaining any further of this absolute horse sh!t.
JACKER is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]