Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Abyss, The (1989)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Abyss, The (1989)

A place on earth more awesome than anywhere in space. | guide

Old Oct 13, 1999, 12:28 PM   #1
Pfiffer Vaughn
n/a flights since
Thumbs up Re: A Great Flick!

Why is it that I've only met a handfull of people who've even seen this movie? It is one of the greatest sci-fi movies ever and it baffles me that it doesn't get more recognition. Let's take a minute to compare this film to most others in sci-fi:

1)It has likeable three dimesional characters as apposed to the usual stock characters whose fate as suvivor or victem is easily identified in the first twenty minutes,

2)It boasts an ubelievable cast. All right I know a lot of sci-fi movies have top billed even talented actors but lets face it how often do their performances equal those in their other work?

3)It has a smart and believable script (the comparison is self-explanetory)

4) It is directed by James Cameron, a director who despite Titanic (which wasn't really that bad) is one of the best directors of sci-fi there is.

Based on all these factors I believe The Abyss is way underrated. So come on, watch it with your friends, reccomend it to your relitives, and admit it, this is one great flick!
Old Oct 19, 1999, 03:03 PM   #2
Douglas
n/a flights since
A Great Flick!

Awesome movie! the best i've ever seen!!!
Old Nov 22, 1999, 07:56 AM   #3
Paolo R.
n/a flights since
Re: A Great Flick!

When you look long into an abyss the abyss also looks into you
Old Jan 2, 2000, 08:47 AM   #4
Steven
n/a flights since
Talking Re: A Great Flick!

Hi everybody,

I've just found this site and it's fantastic! For me, The Abyss is my all-time favorite movie and you can say I'm really a fan (owing the normal version, the special edition, the script, the book, soundtrack, etc)I've seen it now a thirty times and it surprises me every time again. Keep up the good work, webmaster, and as for Jim Cameron: when the light disappears, the adventure begins. Congratulations with making such a brilliant pic!
Old Jan 6, 2000, 09:34 AM   #5
Clare
n/a flights since
Smile #1 movie of all time

Excellent movie!!!!!!!

The best movie ever made. Cameron has never made anything as magical as "the abyss". Ed harris was excellent. The 92 release was even better. The best film ever.

It's my #1 movie and a sci-fi classic
Old Jan 9, 2000, 05:09 AM   #6
andreas ingo
n/a flights since
Greatest movie ever

I can't tell you what I feel about this movie. It is my favourite movie of all time. I love scifi, water, good actors, a good story and great special effects and therefore this is THE MOVIE for me.
Old Jan 15, 2000, 10:05 PM   #7
chris
n/a flights since
Thumbs up one of a kind movie (and the special edition was even better)

Forget Titanic, Aliens and Terminator, THIS is James Cameron's unsung masterpiece.

As far as publicity went upon the cinematic release, this film practically sunk down to somewhere near where the NTI's lived - totally unfair.

This film truly has all the things that Cameron has become renowned for in his filmmaking; a good, intelligent story. Believable 'human' characters that are deep and one feels they could get to know as people. Action, suspense, human drama.

AND THE SPECIAL EDITION WAS EVEN BETTER!!!

This truly is one of (if not THE one) my absolute favorite movies of all time, I cannot recommend this film enough. Honestly, folks, do yourselves a favor, see this movie, you will absolutely love it.
Old Jan 17, 2000, 10:55 AM   #8
Roy
n/a flights since
Unhappy Toughest shoot in film history !

Hi! I'm a big fan of mr. Cameron, and agree with him that this must be the most difficult production that he ever faced.

I must say that it basicly just eats me up to see that the studios can crop down such a fine piece of art to the 2h10m limit.

Therefor any reviews of the Abyss in its theatrical release are unfair to the director i.m.o.

The abyss is the most unfair treated movie for me, and i think most people will agree with me when they would just see the special edition release together with 'making the abyss' witch in it's own is 57 minutes.

When you see the making it's like huge respects for the dedication of cast and crew!

C you around!
Old Jan 26, 2000, 02:32 AM   #9
Dom
n/a flights since
Modern Classic

I have loved this film since it's UK theatrical release. The special ed. was amazing on what was already great. 11 years later it remains one of my most watched and most loved films and a web site dedicated to it is superb. (DVD release March 21st 2000 at long last, thanxs 20C Fox )
Old Jan 27, 2000, 05:03 AM   #10
Dafydd Evans
n/a flights since
Lightbulb Brilliant film

This is a very original film, it's brilliant!
Old Jan 30, 2000, 04:49 AM   #11
Tony747
n/a flights since
Cool A Classic

This is a unique and interesting film and unpredictable.

Unlike Star Wars which is driven by inmature adults from the 70' s this movie has got realistic character development, something that is not seen that often.

The Rescucitatin sequence is to date the most intense scene i have ever seen. This has to be in the best five sci-fi movies of all time along with Aliens. both terminator films and planet of the apes.
Old Feb 20, 2000, 02:59 PM   #12
Stan
n/a flights since
The Best

This movie to me shows that sometimes the common man can be right. I have seen this movie too many times to mention. I always come away with a good feeling and a little bit of hope.
Old Feb 24, 2000, 12:55 PM   #13
M. Edwards
n/a flights since
Underrated and Overlooked Masterpiece

I saw this movie in the summer of 1988 and since then it has been my Favorite movie. I was fortunate to be living in a big city when the Special Edition was released years later, and got to witness it on the big screen. I have never felt so good and so moved after a film then that on that day. The performances, friendships, and confilct all melded together against the backdrop of a totaly original sci-fi story. It's too bad Deepstar Six and Leviathon were released around the same time. It took away potential viewers from seeing this materpiece on the big screen.
Old Feb 29, 2000, 11:01 AM   #14
Gustavo Olmos
n/a flights since
Smile Una pelicula genial, increible, original

Esta es una de las mejores peliculas que he visto, con muy buenas actuaciones, buenas imagenes, buena direccion y un argumento que me encanto... En fin geniales todos....
Old Mar 2, 2000, 03:58 PM   #15
Rhye
n/a flights since
Smile I love this movie!!

Eternal cheers to one of my favorite movies of all time and thanks for starting this site! Talk about having all the right ingrediants at the right time in a movie. The actors are all unforgettable. Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio is one of the most unique beauties in cinema I've seen, even though her career didn't get jettisoned into larger roles the way it should have if the movie had been a bigger success, but her performance is more meaningful because of it's rarity. It's great to see the underused Michael Biehen and of course, the superb Ed Harris.

It's also the first and best unveiling of the "morphing" technology to date. Here, it arose out of necessity, since they were trying to create an alien manipulating the water, rather than just a pointless showing off of new technology which is the only reason anyone uses it now.

The scene that really gets me is where Mary drowns in order to preserve Ed Harris's character. It's more moving than anything in the soap opera-like (but good) "Titanic" and is the most touching love scene in a science fiction movie that I've ever seen.

Even though it was 11 years past Star Wars and Close Encounters, it still has the same feel of stark, dedicated originality that we were used to with Blade Runner, Alien, E.T., Indiana Jones, Brazil and other creations during that rich and innovative period. When looking at some of the modern sci-fi flicks they're previewing lately, with the hackneyed plots, expensive effects, 90s spick 'n' span bland photography and other unameable square manifestations that are being pawned as utopian end-points in cinematic evolution, "The Abyss" shines beautifully from a time when there was plenty of new terrain and most things hadn't been tried yet. Why it didn't become a hit, like many lesser quality movies do practically every week, is a mystery. When "Star Wars" came out in 1977, it drew a line in the sand, obliterating all the Logan's Runses, Zardozes and Star Trek reruns in it's path and layed the blueprint for the movies we see today. But maybe by 1988, most people were spoiled or perhaps it was the studios unfair gutting of the plot that confused people. If it was released today, as it is, it would be a big hit in an age where originality and novelty is not as expected.

In short, most movies (old and new) just plain SUCK - you can't go wrong by watching something as heavenly and emotional as this.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Abyss, The (1989)