Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

This is the forum to get to know your fellow pilots and the ONLY place to talk about everything else not really relevant to sci-fi movies, including your personal loves and interests. A true pilot doesn't discuss these issues while on duty.

Old Jan 29, 2005, 07:53 AM   #46
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001
Re: Updated DVD list.

I'll trade you my liver for the Excel Saga collection.

I have it all, but on VHS, and I've been unable to track it here.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:50 AM   #47
Autechre
Sector Marshall
734 flights since Jan 2002

i hate dvd's, long live the crap warm compression of the video cassette
Autechre is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 01:26 PM   #48
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000

Quote:
Originally posted by Kieraganion

Some guy posted the version I have at the Anime newsgroup I frequent (Alt.Binaries.Multimedia.Anime, on Usenet; payed service). The quality is perfect, and the subtitles look to be official.... Since I can turn them off. Plus, they are in the default white color, with the default font, and the translation is pefect.

My conclusion?

That the version I have is a direct rip fromthis.

I'm unsure of the version you have. But if they are crappy subtitles that are poorly translated, it may be the official release from Dreamworks.

Edit: In recent news, it appears that Dreamworks has realized its' "mistake" and is now shipping DVDs with the appropiate subtitles, and not the SDH version.

Edit2: Urrrrrrrrrrghhhh.

Wait a minute , is your version 123 minutes long, like it is shown in thelink you provided? Mine is just 97.
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 03:39 PM   #49
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall
782 flights since Oct 2002

Mine is 138.55 minutes(That includes introduction companies, like the logo for Production I.G, and credits). And it also has chapters, 19 to be precise.
Kieraganion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 04:25 PM   #50
Lt_Johnny_Rico
380 flights since Aug 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Iwata
Pearl Harbor
U-571

You... own... those...?
Lt_Johnny_Rico is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 04:40 PM   #51
Ivan

Quote:
Mine is 138.55 minutes(That includes introduction companies, like the logo for Production I.G, and credits). And it also has chapters, 19 to be precise.

Then I guess I have the shit-cut version. Still it is a great movie regardless. I can only imagine how great it is with more scenes.

Last edited by Ivan : Jan 29, 2005 at 04:45 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 04:44 PM   #52
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall

I plan to cough out the money to get that JP region two verison with English subtitles.

Or I may just wait till Dreamworks releases some type of Special Edition, as you know they will.

I'd send you my copy over the internet, but I doubt you want to download 4.36 gigs from me.

I may be able to to compress it, but it would take time and unless you want lower quailty, it would still be around 2 gigs. I could use Divx... But it would still lose some quality.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 04:50 PM   #53
Ivan

Quote:
I plan to cough out the money to get that JP region two verison with English subtitles.

Or I may just wait till Dreamworks releases some type of Special Edition, as you know they will.

I'd send you my copy over the internet, but I doubt you want to download 4.36 gigs from me.

I may be able to to compress it, but it would take time and unless you want lower quailty, it would still be around 2 gigs.

No need for that my friend I'll survive with this version untill I grab ahold of the special edition .... or ....... you can still burn a copy and mail the DVD to me. Just kidding, I would never expect anyone to be that generous to a person he meet over the internet.

Still thanks for the kind offer.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 05:04 PM   #54
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall

I managd to get Dr. DivX to give me an estimated file size of 876MB, but that's sill around 1 1/2 days of constant filetransfer.

I could .RAR the file into 10-15MB parts, set up an FTP and go from there. . (though probably with third party sofware as WinXP Home doesn't have built in FTP)

Edit: ARghhhhhh! Nevermind.

Ah well. I suggest you wait for the special edition.

Last edited by Kieraganion : Jan 29, 2005 at 05:32 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 05:22 PM   #55
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by Lt_Johnny_Rico

You... own... those...?

Pearl Harbor was a gift, and U-571 is severelly flawed, but it has some good scenes.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 05:35 PM   #56
Ivan

Quote:
I managd to get Dr. DivX to give me an estimated file size of 876MB, but that's sill around 1 1/2 days of constant filetransfer.

I could .RAR the file into 10-15MB parts, set up an FTP and go from there. . (though probably with third party sofware as WinXP Home doesn't have built in FTP)

Edit: ARghhhhhh! Nevermind.

Ah well. I suggest you wait for the special edition.

While we are on the subject. I just checked IMDB and they say that movie lenght is 99min. Also there is no link to any alternate versions.

Do you , by any chance , have the list of added scenes?
Old Jan 29, 2005, 06:12 PM   #57
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall

No, all I got was the movie itself. Not even an .nfo file saying who ripped it.

Edit:

BTW: I got the FTP up an running. I just need to give it a static IP and enable a port for it to use through my wireless router...Damn NAT, nice thing to have, annoying to deal with. I'll have to do that tomorrow as the router is located in my living room, where the baby sleeps. If I don't necessarily use it for this reason, I can think of plenty others. Man, why didn't I ever think of setting one up before.

Last edited by Kieraganion : Jan 29, 2005 at 06:25 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 06:25 PM   #58
Dajistano
326 flights since Jun 2002
Post Re: Updated DVD list.

Someone bought AvP for me. Love the thought, but thank God for scene selection!
Dajistano is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 11:49 AM   #59
videonaut
Starfighter
145 flights since Sep 2003

My list is small and I'm not sure it's going to get any bigger. I've read a few companies aren't even planning to release any more of their libraries on the current DVD format, they're gearing up for either the blue light or HD version.(Is this another Beta vs. VHS?)
videonaut is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 01:38 PM   #60
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by videonaut
(Is this another Beta vs. VHS?)
Basically yes.
Although efforts are being made to make machines capable of reading both formats.

Regardless of which is ultimately adopted by the majority, all machines will be back-compatible with current DVDs - just as DVD players can read CDs.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]