Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Star Trek (1979-2002) [movie series]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Star Trek (1979-2002) [movie series]

The human adventure is just beginning. | TMP guide

Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:20 PM   #1
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005
Joe Haldeman Star Trek Novels

I just found out that Joe Haldeman, the author of Forever War, wrote two Star Trek novels, Planet of Judgment and World Without End:

I was just wondering if they're any good. I read one of his books and thought it was great. I was surprised that he wrote a couple books for the Star Trek universe. I have a lot of other really interesting books I want to read, but there's a part of me that wants to read old Star Trek books for some reason. I also want to watch the entire old series for some reason. I own the first season, but not the rest. I don't know what my fascination with old Star Trek is. I'll have to get over it somehow. I think it has to do with wanting to be a part of that generation who watched that show. I don't know why that is. It's kind of weird. I think it might be because I'm getting older and want to identify with something that I associate with being older than I am. Like I want to be a part of the adult club or something.

Last edited by toomuchcoffee : Jun 24, 2006 at 10:52 PM.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 01:27 PM   #2
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Re: Joe Haldeman Star Trek Novels

I might have read one or both of those, I'll have to check the publication date. I went through a couple of different Trek reading phases, one in college where I read at least 100 Star Trek novels ranging from the very, very good to the "why did I just read that." I picked up on Trek again about six years ago, really focused on TNG and DS9 novelizations, some of the Young Kirk novels, and the Kahn Noonan Sinhg series, The Eugenics War and one other one. Every now and again I'll pick up an old Trek novel at the thrift store. Like yourself, I typically want to gravitate toward the original series. For some reason the novels are better.

I don't own many of my Trek books anymore but you never know, I will check what I have. I loved The Forever War, so digging these up may be worth the effort!
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 01:51 PM   #3
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005

I never thought about reading Star Trek novels until I saw the first season and listened to the author talk about his book Eugenic Wars, about the Kahn in the 1990s, I think, or maybe earlier, which sounds really interesting.

Last edited by toomuchcoffee : Jun 7, 2006 at 02:02 PM.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 02:05 PM   #4
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

The Eugenics War and it's sequel (I think it's Part I and Part II or Volume 1 and Volume 2) are great reads despite being loosely connected to Star Trek. The first book is set entire in the 20th century. The second has a rather unfortunate sub-plot involving Kirk and the Enterprise that doesn't really work, kind of turns the entire thing into a backwards mystery novel. I think there is a third novel now but I am not sure.

I'd love to see a comprehensive count of how many Star Trek novels there have been since the 1970's. I know I've read upwards toward 200 of them. If and when Ramses starts a Science Fiction Literature Forum we shall definately have to have a thread devoted to Star Trek.

EDIT: Great website: http://www.starfleetlibrary.com/
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Star Trek (1979-2002) [movie series]