Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

This is the forum to get to know your fellow pilots and the ONLY place to talk about everything else not really relevant to sci-fi movies, including your personal loves and interests. A true pilot doesn't discuss these issues while on duty.

Old Jun 1, 2009, 09:01 PM   #1
floyd
Libertarian
1,141 flights since Feb 2002
Tiller the Killer

Dr-Tiller.com

Slate

Bill

Thoughts?
floyd is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:04 PM   #2
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001
Re: Tiller the Killer

What else can you expect? Bunch of loonies over there...
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:59 AM   #3
JACKER
The Paradisal Man
1,359 flights since Dec 2001

Murdering is probably not the finest way to advocate a pro life position. Anyway, I thought killing abortion doctors was so 80s and 90s, not something we should have to concern ourselves with anymore. Obviouslly I was wrong. These people are sick. When they can't fight legally, they resort to terrorism because everyone thinks they're irrelevant losers who can't get laid, so they continue to intimidate and harm those who perform what society deems legal.
JACKER is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:12 PM   #4
floyd
Libertarian
1,141 flights since Feb 2002

I guess like anybody who asks a question, the true intent is always just to blab about your own answer, so I'll fill that gap now. I think on one hand it's important to distinguish the one person who actually shot Tiller, from the millions of people who viewed him a murderer. On the other hand, though, it has to be pointed out that many--if not more probably most--of those people (who consider themselves the "culture of life") also support the death penalty for premeditated murder, especially of "children," and hence probably have very little moral objection to the way he met his end, privately if not publicly. It's been whispered in the corners of churches and in the checkout lines at grocers that Tiller's murderer was doing the lord's work.

When I read about this, I pictured a village in the 1800's, town square, a huge crowd gathered with a cowering ugly little woman in the middle. Let's say, maybe this woman's garden flourished while others' died. Everyone chanting "Witch! Witch! Witch!" The crowd inches forward, closing in on the spinster, when finally a man breaks through the crowd carrying above his head a sizable rock, and drops it on the woman's head, crushing it with a wet thud. The crowd lowers their torches, turns and returns to their homes, perhaps even jailing the man who's rock snuffed the witch out, showing how human they are.

Did the mob kill the woman, or did the one man who simply took the whole thing too far? It's an interesting question that may not have a clear black or white answer. It's important to have a dialogue, to have people who say crazy things and then people who refute the crazy things with science, logic and reason. Would George Tiller have died had so many people not shouted that he was a witch? It's a necessary question only in deciding whether he was a casualty of the necessary double edged sword of freedom of speech, where a cause or a movement can sometimes double for a mob, swarming an innocent, because maybe science failed to show the mob the garden of the witch flourished because of the fertility of the soil on her lot in the valley or something. Not to say his death was a failure of the "pro-choice" movements' politics or moral argument.

Tune in next week when I weigh in on Mark David Chapman

This is what happens when I drink coffee instead of whiskey at midnight. I ramble. Sorry to anyone who actually read that.

Last edited by floyd : Jun 3, 2009 at 12:03 AM.
floyd is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 04:52 PM   #5
JACKER
The Paradisal Man
1,359 flights since Dec 2001

It's OK, chief. You know you should stick to coffee on a more permanent basis. Keep yourself stimulated, not inebriated.

Your question is more philosophical than tangible, as I'm sure you're well aware. Whether the mob mentality had anything to do with Tiller's death is an interesting quandary to ponder, one in which thousands of people are doing right now and thus will result in just as many diverse answers, but the fact we can't come to a concrete answer will leave us stranded with nobody to blame but the perpetrator of the crime. Sure, we can point out a couple web sites and drudge up sound bytes of O'reilly calling Tiller a killer, yet those are only circumstantial instances and are nothing solid enough to implicate one or the other in the crime.

As for the psychotic fringe of the antiabortion movement, psychotic is just what they are and they need not be considered anything else. Look at the profiles of all these individuals and you will see there's hardly anything normal about them or the lives they lead before their crimes. These are Ted Kaczynski's and Timothy McVeigh's, who only happen to cloak themselves in religious fanaticism, across the board. To think of these people as anything of greater influence is in my opinion an insult to the millions of people who happen to think abortion is immoral, a hinderance to dialogue and an offense to humanity as a whole.
JACKER is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]