Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Old Jun 18, 2002, 07:34 PM   #1
thegreenknight
Sector Marshall
986 flights since Jan 2002
Sci Flicks Chat Room

correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't it be kinda cool if there were some kind of chatroom for the users on this site? if there already is one please tell me so i can drown myself
thegreenknight is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2002, 08:03 PM   #2
Coronis
Hehe... he said LOG...
296 flights since Feb 2002
Re: Sci Flicks Chat Room

as far as i know right now, there is no chat room.... but the idea would be really cool
Coronis is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2002, 08:58 PM   #3
thegreenknight
Sector Marshall

so what must be done to create one?
Old Jun 18, 2002, 10:05 PM   #4
thegreenknight
Sector Marshall

well, thanks to an anonymous tip , i've decided that a good place to create a chat room would be at www.bravenet.com, that is of course, with your 'go-ahead' ramses.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 02:19 AM   #5
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Well if three people are chatting at once in the Chat thread it's just like a real chat room anyway!
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2002, 01:50 PM   #6
Xeno
Sector Marshall
751 flights since Mar 2001

*cough* the idea was attempted in the days of WR and Nightblade and Yeyinde. It failed miserably with only 4 (thats right: 4!) members chatting. Ofcourse it wasn't connected to the site so members were required to go though a link to the chat site set up by NB. The only members I recall going to it was myself, WhiteRabbit, NightBlade and um... well did I say four? Well, thats to cover me if theres somebody that I don't remember.

PS. Good idea [b]IF[/i] it's connected to the site. Also, since we don't really have that members, I guess in order to make it work, you're gonna need atleast 100 active members on this site. I count about 30 (I'm being generous) active members. The chat link won't survive with just 30.
Xeno is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2002, 04:42 PM   #7
thegreenknight
Sector Marshall

yeah thats what i meant, an official chat room connected to this site that could be accesed in the forums. oh well, it was worth a try.
Old Jun 23, 2002, 02:43 PM   #8
Xeno
Sector Marshall

*sigh* only if we get alot more members to support the site. And frankly, Ramses still has to do alot more stuff before he can even attempt to set up a chat link. Anyways, I don't see too much point in making a chatroom right now or a few months from now. It's hardly ever gonna be used, and this should be just kept a forum. You can use instant messengers to chat to other members anyways.
Old Jul 8, 2002, 09:19 AM   #9
Ender
Wing Commander
305 flights since Apr 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Tinny
[b]*PS. Good idea IF[/i] it's connected to the site. Also, since we don't really have that members, I guess in order to make it work, you're gonna need atleast 100 active members on this site. I count about 30 (I'm being generous) active members. The chat link won't survive with just 30.

that is something i do not understand. why are there not more members. there are not that many good forums on the net like this, and its a shame. i dont on the other hand want to see 10000 people here, but more would be nice.
Ender is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2002, 02:12 PM   #10
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000

A chat room would be very interesting. We could avoid the effect of "empty chat room" by scheduling Talks. For example Friday 20:00 CET for Europe and MIdle Asia and some other time for American Continent.

I bet we could get at least 5-10 members on line this way.
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2002, 02:33 PM   #11
Xeno
Sector Marshall

It is annoying, especially with a good looking site like this. The forum on this site is brilliant and so easy to use. It gives you alot of option and although HTML is denied in posts it's still a good forum to post on. Personally, I am trying to register onto the very few good Halo forums on the net. I can discuss Halo and put a referral link in my sig... I haven't seen a forum that is as good as this one on my quest (even the "good" ones).

Tinny's Guide To Get More Members

START.

Step 1 - Referral Links

This is a great way to get people onto the site, and if they register whilst following this link you raise your referral count.

Example:

Do you enjoy science fiction? If so, head over to SciFlicks SQUAD!

Step 2 - Other Forums

OK. First off, do not spam other forums with referral links. Secondly, do not register onto a forum with the sole objective of promoting SciFlicks SQUAD.

There aren't many great forums out there and it's very likely that members here are also members to other forums out there. Choose where you promote SciFlicks SQUAD carefully because you know we don't like spammers. Once you think a forum has nice people who might be interested in joining the Squad then you should drop those lines and referrals. Perhaps open a thread in their equivelant of The Pilot's Mess and discuss science fiction and drop the lines and referral links there. Alternatively (and less bothersome) put the referral link in your signature so whenever you post you left the SciFlicks SQUAD mark.

REPEAT: Do not spam other forum with SciFlick SQUAD promotions.

Step 3 - Site Links

If you own a site or are part of a site in a important way then you should put a link for SciFlicks SQUAD!
If you don't own a site but do know a site that might be interested in linking SciFlicks then contact them and ask them to link SciFlicks to their site. Again, it's not necessary to spam site hosts to get them to link SciFlicks so don't do it!

IMPORTANT: Follow or internet guidelines when doing this. Ask for permission and the likes. Since Ramses hasn't been in contact for a while, I am not sure whether or not he will allow the links. Try to contact him. If all fails, as the SQUAD members and hopefully we can decide.

Step 4 - Current Unregistered Users

Encourage them to register onto the site.
NOTE: I said ENCOURAGE.

First, keep them in check. Do not tolerate or take part in spam with them. Second, help them. If they have any questions don't bash them or say that the answers has already been said in another thread. Repeat the answer and then tell them that the answer was already present. Try to be polite.
NOTE: The last part is optional.

Step 5 - Current Registered Users

Keep on posting and help strengthen the site.

IMPORTANT: HAVE FUN!

END.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 11:31 PM   #12
darkjedi
Sector Marshall
609 flights since Mar 2002

Can we get one that is attached to the site? I'd like to chat for awhile with you guys.
darkjedi is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 08:12 AM   #13
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Ok I was thinking about a Chatroom but:
Quote:
Originally posted by Xeno

Tinny's Guide To Get More Members

START.

Step 1 - Referral Links

This is a great way to get people onto the site, and if they register whilst following this link you raise your referral count.

Example:

Do you enjoy science fiction? If so, head over to SciFlicks SQUAD!

Step 2 - Other Forums

OK. First off, do not spam other forums with referral links. Secondly, do not register onto a forum with the sole objective of promoting SciFlicks SQUAD.

There aren't many great forums out there and it's very likely that members here are also members to other forums out there. Choose where you promote SciFlicks SQUAD carefully because you know we don't like spammers. Once you think a forum has nice people who might be interested in joining the Squad then you should drop those lines and referrals. Perhaps open a thread in their equivelant of The Pilot's Mess and discuss science fiction and drop the lines and referral links there. Alternatively (and less bothersome) put the referral link in your signature so whenever you post you left the SciFlicks SQUAD mark.

REPEAT: Do not spam other forum with SciFlick SQUAD promotions.

Step 3 - Site Links

If you own a site or are part of a site in a important way then you should put a link for SciFlicks SQUAD!
If you don't own a site but do know a site that might be interested in linking SciFlicks then contact them and ask them to link SciFlicks to their site. Again, it's not necessary to spam site hosts to get them to link SciFlicks so don't do it!

IMPORTANT: Follow or internet guidelines when doing this. Ask for permission and the likes. Since Ramses hasn't been in contact for a while, I am not sure whether or not he will allow the links. Try to contact him. If all fails, as the SQUAD members and hopefully we can decide.

Step 4 - Current Unregistered Users

Encourage them to register onto the site.
NOTE: I said ENCOURAGE.

First, keep them in check. Do not tolerate or take part in spam with them. Second, help them. If they have any questions don't bash them or say that the answers has already been said in another thread. Repeat the answer and then tell them that the answer was already present. Try to be polite.
NOTE: The last part is optional.

Step 5 - Current Registered Users

Keep on posting and help strengthen the site.

IMPORTANT: HAVE FUN!

END.
This deserves pinning somewhere.

edit: For those that don't know, you can find out your Referral link here: http://forums.sciflicks.com/misc.php...ge=2#referrals

(So you will know how many people you have 'referred' )
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 12:34 PM   #14
Oscar
Sector Marshall
756 flights since Feb 2002

Quite an old thread. Still I feel compelled to reply.

If there ever will be an "official" sciflicks chatroom integrated to the site I hope it will be IRC-based and can be accessed through irc-client programs and if possible works in IRCnet or Quakenet.
Oscar is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems