Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

All sci-fi movies which have too many fantasy elements/unexplained phenomenae to classify properly as science fiction.

Old Aug 8, 2006, 05:26 AM   #1
scifi_lover
Trust No One
1,049 flights since Jan 2004
Superman Returns

I thought that Superman could fit quite nicely in here, due to the fact that he isn't anywhere else on the forums

This thread is for the new movie, Superman Returns. IMDB reads the plot outline as After a long visit to the lost remains of the planet Krypton, the Man of Steel returns to earth to become the peoples savior once again and reclaim the love of Lois Lane.

Brandon Routh plays a great Superman and Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane. Kevin Spacey is a pretty decent Lex Luthor and Sam Huntington (someone who usually only plays small roles) plays Jimmy Olsen.

I enjoyed this movie, despite being a very strong believer of old Superman. Not a lot changed from the old series, which is what I loved, although Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane were slightly different. Jimmy didn't get as many of his old one liners and 'poor Jimmy' situations, and Lois had more of a mixed opinion of Superman because of life changes that had occurred when Superman had been gone for five years.
scifi_lover is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 11:23 AM   #2
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Re: Superman Returns

For the record - I don't think Brandon Routh was playing Superman. I think Brandon Routh was playing Christoper Reever playing Superman, and frankly it was a little creepy.

Not a bad movie, had some great, great moments. Take out all the mushy stuff and it would be as good as the original.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 11:31 AM   #3
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

I will never be satisified until the plot hole is explained. see the mess review of it for details.
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 05:53 PM   #4
scifi_lover
Trust No One
1,049 flights since Jan 2004

Hehehe...
Lex's plan:
Phase one: Make big crystal island thing with kryptonite. Destroy USA
Phase two: ???
Phase three: Profit!

Then when the rest of the world attacks, he can hold them off with his alien technology... that he has... uhh... somewhere.

Then the knowledge of Supermans entire civilisation was thrown away into space along with the rock.

Silly Superman...
scifi_lover is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 05:40 PM   #5
xXx
Sector Marshall
760 flights since Mar 2002

Worst movie of the summer. Just plain horrible. Spacey was better as Dr. Evil in "Austinpussy" than he was as Lex Luthor. Routh will never be a movie star. This has to be the biggest waste of a budget I've ever seen. They got no story, no actors, and no memorable action scenes. Bryan Singer cannot direct superhero or action movies. Even with a free ticket, it was a waste of my time.
xXx is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:19 AM   #6
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

You really think Bryan Singer is that bad?

Totally in disagreement there bud. X-Men 2 was outstanding and I thought Superman Returns was redeemed by it's action moments, particularly the first half hour or so. On the contrary, Singer is a great action director, so-so with the touchy-feely drama crap. But hey, he's gay, so what do you expect?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 09:03 PM   #7
xXx
Sector Marshall

I really do think he is that bad. I liked "The Usual Suspects". But when it comes to superheroes, he's awful. I liked "X2" initially, but I every time I watch it I like it less and less. The Nightcrawler opening was the only good thing about it. He didn't make it as good as it could have been. Among a few gripes about the X films:

*Wolverine loses every fight he's in. Against women especially. All he can do is beat up a normal human cage fighter and stab some human soldiers in the feet.
*Sabretooth was wasted and Toad should never have been in the film to begin with.
*For all the years of training that Cyclops, Storm and Jean have, they have no teamwork. Especially at the end of X2. Cyclops could punch a hole in a mountain, so use him blast a path through the water, have Iceman freeze it, Storm bring up some high winds, Nightcrawler to teleport everyone to high ground and Professor X to telepathically strengthen their will. Professor X was a total waste. The Incredibles could take down the X-Men in five minutes.
*Too much Magneto. With all the villains to pick, they shouldn't have had a repeat.
*The only persecution of mutants they showed was a girl sticking her tongue out at one. They made them cool, so the whole stigma of being a mutant wasn't there.
*The fight between Wolverine and Sabretooth on the Statue of Liberty was possibly the worst choreographed scene ever.
*The whole Logan/Jean/Scott thing was horrrrrrrrible. "She chose you". No sh*t.

Superman Returns gripes:

*We see Superman barely be able to stop a plane, but yet he can lift a ginormous rock made of the stuff that can kill him all the way into space.
*I never liked Superman at all until "Smallville". As cheesy as the show is, it makes Clark Kent interesting and shows that it's not easy to be super. In this movie, Clark is just a pair of glasses. He's Superman all the time.
*Lex Luthor is not a threat. He's a buffoon with money. His gang was laughable. Lex Luthor should be the ultimate businessman. Ruthless. He should also have his own company, not some old bag's money. He should hate Superman because he owned Metropolis until he showed up. An alien, worshipped by the people. This would make Lex a more sympathetic villain, doing the wrong things but for a good reason.
*Clark threw away that dog's ball. Prick.
*There was no development at all. Superman learned what we all knew, that he was the last Kryptonian. He has a son, but he's not the father too. That honor belongs to the biggest dupe in the world, James Marsden. First, he loses his wife to Wolverine, then she dies. Then she comes back and kills him, HA! Now he gets to play the lame duck husband to Lois until the sequel. And, in the biggest dig, he saved both Lois and Superman. Sucker.
*Brandon Routh was too young to play a Superman that's been gone for FIVE YEARS. Jim Caviezel would have been better. Plus, he's already played one "savior". That's another thing, they used that word way too much. Howabout calling him a "hero" or "superhero".

Superman is an icon. We had the old movies, and they served their time, but we needed something fresh. Any action director would have been a better choice. Michael Bay, McG, Jan De Bont, any of them. They won't win an Oscar, but they'll put butts in the seats just based on the trailer. Which is exactly what this film failed to do.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 07:21 AM   #8
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXx
Michael Bay, McG, Jan De Bont, any of them. They won't win an Oscar, but they'll put butts in the seats just based on the trailer. Which is exactly what this film failed to do.

I found Michael Bay's atrociously energetic way of filming action scenes make his films irritating and incoherent. A lot of the flaws you have pointed out can be blamed by the screenwriter and not the director. Many thought the actual directing was great, especially the action sequences - I think that Singer can do what Bay can't, which is make his action scenes stylish with some great, ostentatious camerawork, AND still make the sequences coherent and easy on the eyes.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 04:56 PM   #9
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Michael Bay's films don't feel like films at all, they feel like trailers for films. Take Pearl Harbor - it was like a 3 hour trailer for the film. And his films are full of these pictureseque, supposedly meaningful moments that are just contrived and silly (like the Jap Zeros buzzing over the baseball game, evil Japs juxtaposed with something iconicly American like Baseball...at 6:30 am on a Sunday morning???).

Okay, sorry, don't mean to rant about Bay but yeah, his films are ridiculous. Singer, on the other hand, at least knows how to put together a coherent action sequence. Most of your gripes XXX, though well founded, are ultimately content problems, as Nex pointed out.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 09:10 PM   #10
xXx
Sector Marshall

True, but Singer chose the script and had some involvement in it. He wasn't just handed it and told to polish the turd. The movie, the basic concept of a movie featuring Superman has so much potential. What we got was a ***** making a rock, an impatient ditz and a peeping tom.

And yes, Bay is all about the visuals. You can practically watch his movies with the mute on and not miss a thing (except for "The Rock" and "The Island", those were genuinely good). But that's what you want from a superhero film. When I think of the Spider-Man films, the image that springs to mind is him swinging through the city at the end of each film. Brett Ratner is a hack but he still made an X-Men film on par with the first two. Luckily for him, he didn't have much to live up to (in my opinion).
Old Aug 25, 2006, 01:40 PM   #11
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXx
And yes, Bay is all about the visuals. You can practically watch his movies with the mute on and not miss a thing (except for "The Rock" and "The Island", those were genuinely good). But that's what you want from a superhero film.

Visuals are cool, but the reasons why I find the X-Men comics so enjoyable is that they're more than just cool pictures, you get great, flawed characters and thought-provoking metaphors for important issues. Admittedly, the first movie was a bit weak - too much character interaction, not enough action. But the sequel is brilliant, in my opinion, and perhaps Singer's best film (while the third suffers from being the opposite of the first film, which too much action and not enough plot-driven stuff).

I'm surprised that I enjoyed Superman Returns, since it has an almost invincible character, but it makes great mindless entertainment, and the Singer made him a bit of an outcast. I enjoyed it for the same reason why I love the Spider-Man films: it doesn't care about being gritty or "dark", it's just a big, fun, colourful comic movie. If it's ever too cheesy, it can be forgiven because it doesn't pretend to be anything deep. I thought it was probably the funnest blockbuster I saw all year.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 09:36 PM   #12
Sleeper
Wing Commander
318 flights since Mar 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXx
*We see Superman barely be able to stop a plane, but yet he can lift a ginormous rock made of the stuff that can kill him all the way into space.

From the look of things, the chunk of the rock he was flying under was still far away enough from the crystals before they seeped down and by then he was already in space.
Sleeper is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy