Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

This is the forum to get to know your fellow pilots and the ONLY place to talk about everything else not really relevant to sci-fi movies, including your personal loves and interests. A true pilot doesn't discuss these issues while on duty.

View Poll Results: Should traditional marrage be inclusive of same-sex relationships?
Yes, excludinging homosexuals is descrimination and wrong 14 60.87%
No, traditional marrage is about husbands and wife 9 39.13%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 4, 2004, 09:02 AM   #1
Gugliemo
Wing Commander
246 flights since Mar 2002
Gay marrage, for or against?

I post this as a spinoff from the Election thread. I know it's a complicated issue, but it comes down to a simple answer, do u think homosexuals should be able to have traditional hetrosexual-esq marrages? Feel free to elaborate on your answer.

Personally, i'm against. I have nothing in the slightest bit against gay people and i think they should be able to have their own perfectly legitimate form of cerimony, but i dont feel that changing the basic rules of traditional marrage is not the way to do it. If you want to be alternative then be alternative and there should be a whole alternative option, but not by changing a set tradition which basically isn't designed for that purpose.

What do u think?
Gugliemo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 09:19 AM   #2
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001
Re: Gay marrage, for or against?

I'm staying out of this one. My opinion is too divided at the time for me to make a stand.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 09:28 AM   #3
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000

I am against traditional male-female marriage or any state approved formalization of love to start with, so the same answer could apply to the question you asked.
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 09:54 AM   #4
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

There's two elements to what we in the West descern as "marriage":

1. The religious purpose of marriage;
2. The legal purpose of marriage.

This is why, when you get married, you have your church service (so as to be married "in the eyes of God" or whatever) as well as the legal aspects - the signing of the certificate etc.

I can see no reason at all not to allow ANY two people, who really want to, to enter into such a legal marriage, and to be recognised, from a legal standpoint, as a "union" - and thus be subject to exactly the same rights and obligations as a conventionally married couple.
I also can not see any reason at all, from a legal point of view, why this couldn't be extended to marriages of more than just a couple - e.g. to a group of three etc - who want to bond themselves legally to each other - although it could get a bit complex when children become involved etc - but nothing too onerous.

And I'm steering clear of the religious debate as I'm atheist and hold no views on the matter either way from a religious standpoint.

And Ivanhoe, there are benefits to being officially married - especially in the event of the death of one half - as, certainly in the UK, the spouse inherits the lot and doesn't have to pay inheritance tax.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 10:32 AM   #5
narobi foss
Starfighter
73 flights since May 2004

don't care ...as far as i'm concerned you should be able to marry anything......animals, chairs...you'll prolly end up hateing whatever it is anyway.
narobi foss is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 10:43 AM   #6
Clay
Starfighter
149 flights since Mar 2004

Marrige is a joke in any form. The vows are meaningless after the initial animal magnetism is over. Rather than true love, I basically see people wanting to take legal ownership or exclusive rights to each other.
Clay is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:15 AM   #7
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

I agree with narobi and Clay.

While I don't care or see the point of marriages (anyone care to explain why can't I just simply live with someone in the same house?), if you really have to marry someone, I don't care and think you should marry anyone or anything you want...
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:27 AM   #8
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Im sorry. (No Im not ) I highly respect marriage.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:29 AM   #9
Jove
Sector Marshall

Ah - but do you approve of same-sex marriage - or are you a traditionalist?
You can still highly respect a gay marriage.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:40 AM   #10
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

I'm all for gay marriage.
My main reason, Becuase they shouldn't be subject to anything diffrent than anyone else.
When two people get married they get some extra rights.
When one partner is sick the other can visit in the hospital and help make desicions. without marriage they have no right to help make a critical disicion for the life of their partner. How would you feel if the person you've lived with and loved for 30 years suddenly had a heart attack and you coulndnt see them or even get to know what treatments and suguries are going on?
One Jove mentioned was that when your partner dies you inherit all the stuff you have accumulated over the years together, your partners pension, life insurance, etc...
Churches here already have the right to deny to marry two people. You dont need to ban it all together.
How does letting a same se couple get married spoil marrige for everyone else?
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 12:01 PM   #11
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Civil unions accomplish all of the above.

Gay marriage would be moral victory for the homosexual agenda but have no real impact on anything.

It's little more than a veiled attmempt to legetimize homosexuality in America that, frankly, American's aren't buying.

Two years ago the big debate was over civil unions. Homosexuals, seeing that they were losing this battle, had a flash of brilliance. This is nothing more than than something akin to telling your mother "I was arrested this afternoon for murder and will be going to prison for the rest of my life.....just kidding, I got an F in algebra." Now, most Americans are willing to accept civil unions in order to protect marriage. I think they knew that were going to lose this fight but it wasn't the fight they were looking to win anyway.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 12:14 PM   #12
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by mack
Im sorry. (No Im not ) I highly respect marriage.

it's a waste of time... seriously, people put too much stock into rings and white dresses....

marriage was invented by lawyers so they could get money for divorces
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 01:00 PM   #13
Jove
Sector Marshall

Quote:
Originally posted by HighWiredSith
Civil unions accomplish all of the above.
Really?
I don't think we have those in the UK.

If that's the case - and they are effectively non-religious "marriages" then fair-do - they've already got everything they need from a legal standpoint.

But do all states allow them?
Old Nov 4, 2004, 01:25 PM   #14
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by Iwata
I'm staying out of this one. My opinion is too divided at the time for me to make a stand.

So what you are saying is that you were for gay marriage before you were against it?
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 01:28 PM   #15
Drone is a fucking idiot and I hate him.
n/a flights since

I really don't care.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]