Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ M -- R ] > Running Man, The (1987)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Running Man, The (1987)

A game nobody survives. But Schwarzenegger has yet to play. | guide

View Poll Results: What do you prefer, the book or the movie?
Book 4 57.14%
Movie 2 28.57%
I like both 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 10, 2004, 08:35 AM   #1
33 flights since Jan 2004
Book or movie?

I haven't read the book but my husband has and he says it's much better and not everything from the book was put into the movie so i've posted a poll to see what anybody else thinks
NeonBliss is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 01:52 PM   #2
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001
Re: Book or movie?

This is one of the most rare of cases where I prefer the Book over the movie.

The book wasn't much SciFi as the movie was. But it was much better, much more "constructed" would be a nice term.
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 06:22 PM   #3
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Not read the book but would like to.

I thought that this was one of Arnold's better movies and quite underrated, despite some of the outrageous cheese. I like this, Total Recall and the Terminators best - I don't think that it's a coincidence that they all happen to be SF.

Then again...The Sixth Day...*shudder*
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 01:49 PM   #4
111 flights since Jan 2005

I thought the movie was actually a very run of the mill, typical Schwarzenegger movie nex.

Now of course with Arnie it I thought it was still good, but it was not in the class of Predator or any of the Terminator movies which stand alone.

The book though was more well constructed and developed then the movie.

Ben Richards was human in the book, in the movie you got the idea that all Arnie needed was a little opening to become invincible, but the book you feared for Richards unlike in the movie.
stewarde is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 04:32 PM   #5
Cluster Admiral
1,670 flights since Nov 2001

The book is brilliant. Phlub is right when he says that Richards is more vulnerable in the book. The the film is not without its charm, hence my voting for 'I Like Both'.
Sharky is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 12:02 AM   #6
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001

Plus they travel across the country if I am not mistaken in the book.

It is more of an adventure and much better. If they had followed per the book much closer this movie would be one of the all time great Sci-Fi movies.
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 08:11 AM   #7
Wing Commander
444 flights since May 2006

The book was far better than the film: the latter was ok but you just knew that because Arnie was starring it didn't matter how bad Ben Richards' predicament would be you just knew he'd pull through because Arnie does what Arnie does best - kick ass.

But the book was better
Sonny is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ M -- R ] > Running Man, The (1987)