Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > War of the Worlds, The (1953, 2005) [original and re-adaptation]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

War of the Worlds, The (1953, 2005) [original and re-adaptation]

Mighty panorama of Earth-shaking fury as an army from Mars invades! | original guide

Old Feb 8, 2005, 10:10 AM   #1
dmwallin
Apprentice
2 flights since Jan 2005
war of the worlds

i saw this movie long before and thought it was great and just bought the dvd and for a movie made in the 50s it still is a good movie even by todays standards
dmwallin is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 09:46 AM   #2
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001
Re: war of the worlds

no it really isnt a great movie by todays standards, at least in my opinion. It was a nice premace, but the whole overlooking the pathogens thing sorta turned me off to it.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 01:54 PM   #3
eveofthewar
Apprentice
4 flights since Sep 2004

I watched it a few months ago. The effects were superb for there time, but look a little ropey in places now. Still an enjoyable movie though. Good to see the 2 main characters are going to appear in the new Paramount movie.
eveofthewar is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 04:18 PM   #4
Hiteak42
Pilot
37 flights since May 2005
Location: A small blue and greeen planet in the far western edge of the Milky Way Galaxy revolving around the star Sol

I do have to agree that they were good for the time being for the original, but I hope the remake will have better effects.
Hiteak42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 03:39 PM   #5
Heavy Predator
Starfighter
76 flights since Jun 2005
Post Re: war of the worlds

Let us all pray that the effects are better.....
Heavy Predator is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 04:41 PM   #6
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

It does have far better effects, of that I can assure you.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 10:07 AM   #7
Oscar
Sector Marshall
756 flights since Feb 2002
Thumbs down Re: war of the worlds

God I hated this movie. Pfff... stupid aliens.
Oscar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:57 PM   #8
morthren
Recruit Pilot
6 flights since Aug 2005

The 1953 version is my all time favorite! It's dark but also has it's simple and enjoyable moments of Americana. The ships are the best! Plus I like the happy ending like Wells originally penned.

Paramount will finally be releasing a updated DVD later in the year with interviews and other stuff.
morthren is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 02:07 PM   #9
Hiteak42
Pilot
37 flights since May 2005
Location: A small blue and greeen planet in the far western edge of the Milky Way Galaxy revolving around the star Sol

About time
Hiteak42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 06:27 PM   #10
Nalrog Emperor
Pilot
43 flights since Aug 2005
WAS

WAS IT ANYGOOD?

IS IT WORth seeing twice?
Nalrog Emperor is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 06:32 PM   #11
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

Why are you worried about seeing it twice? Go see it once first I'd see it again.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 06:37 PM   #12
Nalrog Emperor
Pilot
43 flights since Aug 2005
sample

a sample yes or no would have done.

i will as soon i backmail someone at school.

and as soon as i get this "person" to pay me back.
Nalrog Emperor is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 11:44 PM   #13
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor
309 flights since Jan 2001
A Terrible film

The 2005 version of "War of the Worlds" has made well over $200 million this summer in the US. This is unfortunate since it is a terrible film. The only reason the film made such big money are the names "Tom Cruise" and "Steven Speilberg". The film was very poor and in some cases ridiculous.

The film opens with great special effects as the space ships attaack and the city is destroyed. However, the martian death ray is ridiculous. Why does the death ray instantly disintegrate the people but NOT their clothe? It is crazy seeing all these people running in panic then turned to dust by the death ray while their clothes float away unharmed on the breeze? A coworker of mine noticed that of all the clothes flying around like falling autumn leaves there was no underwear. I guess the death ray could disintergrate underwear, jockey shorts, jock straps, bras and panties, but not shirts and jeans. In the 1953 film the death ray disintegrate everything. The person hit by the death ray would go bright red with their skeleton becoming visible, like an x-ray, for a split second before the person was completely reduced to atoms and gone.

This film spent more time following and worrying about Tom Cruise's disfunctional family than the martian invasion. This film had no scenes of people and armies actively fighting the martian spaceships. The film showed armies heading toward battle. The was plenty of sound effects of battles being fought in the distance, but there were no battle scenes. In the 1953 version the were several scenes of soliders, tanks and aircraft battling the spaceships. In the 1953 version an atomic bomb is used in an attempt to stop the martians. In the current version we see lots of dead bodies floating in a river, empty clothes falling through the woods while hearing the continual screams of Tom Cruise's daughter while Tom Cruise and his son argue and scream at each other.

Half way through the film we see Tom Cruise's son run off to fight the martians. As the martians attack his son is quickly lost and feared dead. Yet, there is a happy ending as the long lost son reappears at the end of the film walking unharmed out of his grandparents home in Boston. Cruise returns his daughter safely to his ex-wife in Boston. The street on which the film ends looks as if it has been untouched by the martian invasion. Everything of the house looks to be in good condition. The glass windows in the front door are not even cracked.

I could go on and on about why this film was so bad. I saw this movie when it opened. To be honest, I hated it. There are so many things wrong with this film. But as bad as the film is Tom Cruise and Steven Speilberg are laughing all the way to the bank. It was still one of the biggest money makers of the summer.

Last edited by cabalcomb : Oct 5, 2005 at 11:51 PM.
cabalcomb is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > War of the Worlds, The (1953, 2005) [original and re-adaptation]