Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > World Without End (1956)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

World Without End (1956)

CinemaScope's first science-fiction thriller hurls you into the year 2508! | guide

Old Feb 9, 2003, 10:10 PM   #16
sheryldotrock
Recruit Pilot
11 flights since Feb 2003
Keeping the thread alive!

I thought I had seen every old SF flick from the beginning of filmdom but this title and its synopsis has me stuck. I will be on the lookout for it now and I'll post again after I've seen it. My favorite all time oldie has to be (it's a tie), War of the Worlds and The Day the Earth Stood Still. These are certainly collectible and watchable even by todays standards. Hey, you think special fx are a drag because they detract from the story line. Many great sf works would not translate without the fx. I agree that special fx have run rampant and are highly overused but, if done right enhance the storyline. I'm hoping I'll be around when they perfect holographic fx and make them interactive. Think of the possibilities! Maybe I'll find the portal and eternal youth too! Hey, I was born too soon and too late.
sheryldotrock is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2003, 02:26 PM   #17
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Re: Is this the movie I think it is?

Quote:
Originally posted by NYY
If this is the movie I think it is I remember loving it as a kid. Is it the movie with one group living underground or in caves and the other "Mutants" living outside?
I also like the film you're thinking of but this one ain't it. THIS one is similar but is much more over the top. It is hard to watch because it quickly degenerates into a predictable, formulaic shoot 'em up. The space travelers from the 50's have somehow entered a space/time continuem and have ended up on the Earth of the future. They are alive and vibrant whereas the cave dwellers have basically lost the will to live and procreate. But the space/time travelers revitalize the communtiy by shooting all the mutants and by acting like he-men. I can't recall the name of the other film but it was about folks deliberately trying to time travel.
Old May 21, 2004, 10:09 AM   #18
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Re: Sad!

I loved the movie. In the early sixties a New York TV station played the same movie every afternoon for a week. I t was called 'Million Dollar Movie'. I saw World Without End every day that week. I suppose if I saw it today it would appear hokie, but when I saw it as a kid it was my favorite movie. How I wished I could have gone with them.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 09:30 AM   #19
Unregistered
n/a flights since

I also would look at the Million Dollar Movie channel in New York. Lately I have been trying to find the name of a certain movie that ran. It was something like a Sinbad movie. About a princess dying and the only thing that could save her was a black rose. This flower was located at the end of seven (?) gates or doors. This young man (Sinbad ?) had to defeat several obsticles at each gate/door. A little man or wizzard dressed in white would help him along. He finally gets the flower, puts it in his belt, then sword fights with someone who cuts the flower from his belt. He only realizes the flower is destroyed when he returns to the dying princess. I know this sounds crazy but I've been wanting to find this movie or the name. If you could help, me I would really appreciate it. I was very young when I saw this movie but I remember it well.
You can notify me at anueu@aol.com
Old Jun 16, 2005, 01:27 PM   #20
michael Joseph
Apprentice
1 flights since Jun 2005

I really liked this film a lot when I was young, but honestly, this is probably one of the worst SF films not bad enough to be funny. Although in its day it had a certain something, that day is long gone. The theme that humanity will survive the wholesale destruction of civilization, and perhaps has done so already, again and again, provides the backbone for some later, better, films (The Planet of the Apes, of course, and The Time Machine, another Rod Taylor vehicle-no pun intended). One can also see in it something of the hubris of post-War America, with manly types like Taylor and Hugh Marlowe representing the sense that America was called upon by a higher power to go out there and show the savages what for. Of course, recommending the film for cultural studies is not necessarily an endorsement.
michael Joseph is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > World Without End (1956)