Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old Sep 6, 2007, 07:34 PM   #106
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002
Re: What Are You Reading Now?

Woot, indeed.

Slogged through Nightbringer, and it actually wasn't too bad once I got into it. Ultramarines are crazy boring though.

One thing I can't figure out: Why didn't Uriel blow up the mine with the Nightbringer in it? Or was that just a plot hole?
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 07:45 PM   #107
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill_valentine
Woot, indeed.

Slogged through Nightbringer, and it actually wasn't too bad once I got into it. Ultramarines are crazy boring though.

One thing I can't figure out: Why didn't Uriel blow up the mine with the Nightbringer in it? Or was that just a plot hole?

Plot hole.

Personaly, the only thing I remember is Uriel's two chums getting torn to pieces by the warp-things. The rest of the novel I found to be simply dull. As anything Ultramarine-related is bound to be.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 07:54 PM   #108
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

I figured as much. Argh. Next up... whatever the next one in the damn Omnibus is. More Ultramarines, hurrah.

Is Brother of the Snake any good?
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:33 PM   #109
Iwata
Autarch

Quote:
I figured as much. Argh. Next up... whatever the next one in the damn Omnibus is. More Ultramarines, hurrah.

Is Brother of the Snake any good?

I don't know. I know the Iron Snakes through their comic on Inferno! Magazine, and that's pretty cool. But is the novel anything like the comics..? Beats me.

It's by Abnett, though, and I've yet to read anything bad by him, be it a novel, a comic, or a short story.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:57 PM   #110
Sharky
Cluster Admiral
1,670 flights since Nov 2001

Z-Day? Must keep an eye out for it. Actually I'm doing a book shop today. is it out yet?
Sharky is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 07:52 PM   #111
Iwata
Autarch

It is indeed.

Oh, and Jill, just to let you know I got into "Horus Rising" today. Even though I had work all day, I managed to read roughly half of it, and I'm having a blast. Mostly surprisingly of all, I find myself rather liking Horus, the Arch-Traitor and sworn enemy of the Imperium.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 08:08 PM   #112
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

I liked it for that reason, it's way more complex than I expected. I know the whole Imperium thing is the crux of the Warhammer universe and all, but I like a few shades of grey...
Old Sep 7, 2007, 08:35 PM   #113
The one......
Sector Marshall
600 flights since Dec 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky
but my favourite book of all time is The Long Walk by Stephen King writing as Richard Bachman.

WEll I did read that on me hols and boy it was amazing. I couldn't put it down and even dreamt about it There were a group of boys sat down to eat and I was shouting at them, you can't stop- you'll get killed, you must get up and keep walking!

I really did like this book and think that the psychology of it is absolutely spot on, so much that the reader is brought into the story with their own inevitable thoughts You want the other boys to essentially die( so main character can win) and therefore you become the scum that cheers them on and put bets on them... very clever

Never would I have thought an entire story about boys walking would be so enthralling!

Sharky, I am wanting to know what your take of the ending is.... seeing as you have read it soo many times too

Honest, have a read everyone. Stephen King seems to write far better as Richard Bachman I have so far deduced.

Oh me murder mystery book was good too. I like em. Now onto a life stlye one, where the narrator is a gay man who turns straight tis funny book thus far.
The one...... is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 09:14 PM   #114
Iwata
Autarch

Quote:
I liked it for that reason, it's way more complex than I expected. I know the whole Imperium thing is the crux of the Warhammer universe and all, but I like a few shades of grey...

I also quite enjoy the Imperium's aversion towards all forms of religion, and the Emperor's own disgust at being called a God.

Ironic, considering how the Imperium is now, ten thousand years past.

I also LOVED the initial class by Sindermann on the stupidity of religion, and his conversation with Loken on the subject of morality and the Imperium's duty towards other human worlds. At the point I'm at in the book, Loken's Tenth Company has just been tasked with clearing the southern hemisphere of Sixty-Three Nineteen.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 09:41 PM   #115
Sharky
Cluster Admiral
1,670 flights since Nov 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by The one......
Sharky, I am wanting to know what your take of the ending is.... seeing as you have read it soo many times too

Well here are my thoughts on the ending. Have never shared them before but here goes. If you haven't read the book then please don't click the spoiler tab. Don't let my personal opinion of the ending taint it for you:

He sees a figure off in the distance. He can't quite see the face. He starts running towards it...

What do you believe running would do to a system that had been walking constantly for over 400 miles? Do you believe, as I believe, that it would kill the person in question. Because I believe that Garraty is running to death, the figure he sees is 'death' - not in the reaper sense, but his mind's manefestation of death. Because I believe McVries is right - everyone who chose to partake in that walk is going to die, even if they don't know it. They posess a mindframe which doesn't conform with the Major's idea of what a citizen should be. This is revealed by the tests they take for the walk - which becomes the Major's way of weedling out the people who might rebel against the system (remember Garraty loss of his father to the squads, Stebbins' personal feelings toward the Major, McVries' hatred of the system that drove his girlfriend against him).

Well there are my opinions on the ending. I'm not saying that they are fact. The great thing about the ending is that it is perfectly ambiguous for you to draw your own conclusions. If my thoughts make more sense than what you had thought then great, but I'm sure you have a far simply explanation which makes my thougths seem like random waffle
Sharky is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 06:30 PM   #116
The one......
Sector Marshall
600 flights since Dec 2002

Sharky- I tend to agree.

It is ambiguous, and I have thoughts on that the figure as you say is death. Like you say after walking so much- do you run at the end of a race? Good point about the Major's selection too.
I kinda thought an alternative that the figure was the Major himself, and Garraty was running toward him, or some other figure, ie his dad? Garraty seems to warm towards his father towards the end.

The thing is in something like this, the long walk, is that there are no winners anyway, as the friends you make die, and everything you aim for becomes nothing. How can your body cope, alongside your mind after being through all of that? (and it feels like an eternity I would imagine) Just being told that you are a winner, makes you spit on it and get angry, and anything that you desire becomes desireless, from both the point of view that you can have anything that you want, so there is no meaning in it and from earning it from others dying in a sadistic way.

This is only if the winner does actually survive, because even if you do win, the whole reason in your life and survival is to win that race. After winning, your body may no longer function, as RL doesn't exist any more.

Boy, tis a great book. So deep and psychological and entwining.

Thanks for the recommendation of this book!
The one...... is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 08:19 PM   #117
Iwata
Autarch

I'm halfway through The Horus Heresy: Galaxy in Flames, the 3rd book of the series.

Jill, I can't thank you enough for getting me started on this road. I'm absolutelly loving these books, they're everything I hoped they'd be and more.

While "Horus Rising" showed us the setting and introduced us to a few of the Warmaster's flaws, "False Gods" shows us Horus' descent into Chaos and the first cracks in the Crusade, in a quite detailed form, I might add. Also, characters we know from the first book undergo changes that absolutelly stunned me.

Now, in "Galaxy in Flames", the Warmaster, not that much of a different man from when we first met him, finally unveils his treasonous plan and turns on his brothers at Istvaan III. Like with every treason, it's fast, brutal, and unmerciful. After the Warmaster gives the order ("Open fire. Let the galaxy burn!"), I'm finding it almost physically impossible to stop reading. Characters new and old die, turn on each other, fight or flee. People we liked turn evil, and those we thought would readily kill for no reason reveal new qualities.

Anyway, since I'm halfway through it, I ordered "Flight of the Eisenstein" and "Fulgrim" today, the 4th and 5th books in the series, and pre-ordered "Descent of Angels", which is coming out on October 7th. Jill, get the rest of this series. You'll love it.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 01:51 AM   #118
Lt_Johnny_Rico
380 flights since Aug 2002

In between reading really boring things for classes and... er... food and sleep, I guess... I've been reading this:

It's a collection of 3 short stories and 3 novels in the Warhammer 40K universe centering on a self-interested Commissar who is only interested in not dying but, through sheer luck in several occasions, is heralded as a hero by Imperial propaganda. I've finished a short story and am getting started on one of the longer pieces, and I'm pretty much hooked. It's very funny, which I did not expect from a novel in the WH40K universe. I can't help but find the protagonist endearing and sympathetic, despite his self-interested nature. In fact, given the circumstances, I don't even blame him for acting the way he does. Now, if only I didn't have so much work to do...
Lt_Johnny_Rico is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:38 AM   #119
Iwata
Autarch

Cain is, without a doubt, the coolest Comissar the Imperium has ever seen. I love his books.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 05:28 PM   #120
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Totem and Taboo - by Sigmund Freud
mack is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room