Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

This is the forum to get to know your fellow pilots and the ONLY place to talk about everything else not really relevant to sci-fi movies, including your personal loves and interests. A true pilot doesn't discuss these issues while on duty.

Old May 5, 2003, 11:33 AM   #1
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001
Thumbs up Recommended Reading

Ok fellas, simply put, which books are you reading now, or which books would you recommend. Explanations would be helpfull.

Here are a few of mine:

"The Trigger": To me, A. C. Clarke's best. Simply put, a thriller about a scientist that discovers what he calls the "Trigger Effect", a device that renders all weapons in the planet useless, from bolt-action guns, to nukes.

"Rainbow Six": non-stop anti-terrorism action from the man that brought us "Hunt for Red October". The classic book that inspired the well-known game series. Oh, and for fans of the elusive Clark, this is definitelly for you, as he is head of the team.

"I Flew for the Fuhrer": A chance to look at the other side of history. A journal of a full Nazi fighter pilot. He makes no apologies, nor does he fake he was just "following orders", he admits himself for what he is. A good book into an evil mind.

"Rendezvouz with Rama": Again, A. C. Clarke's genius at work. Great space thriller.

"The Super-Hugos": A compilation of great Hugo-award novels and stories, including "Enemy Mine" and the original, actually-great-fun "Bicentennial Man"

"De Bello Gallico": Caesar's journal of his campaign in Gaul. Possibly my favourite "reality" book. He wrote the book in only 3 months to make his case of a war on Gaul before the Senate. But surprisingly, he keeps it realistic.

"The Arms Bazaar": A great look at arms sales around the globe and their geo-political influence. An old book, but still very modern in content.

"The Crusades as seen by the Arabs": Marvellous book. Exactly what the title says. Never before did I feel so primitive in other people's eyes.

"Diplomacy": Henry Kissinger's Bible for World Affairs.

"The Art of War": Sun Tzu's, that is. Quite an intriguing book. Food for thought for any person who likes to think. Be warned there's a book of the same name by Machiavelli that is rather dull.

"Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy": Funfunfun. Great humour here. Laugh out loud while reading it.

"Good Omens": See above.

"Empire of the Ants": Phenomenal book, one of a kind. The world as seen by an ant, part of a civilization we are too arrogant to notice. May just be the finest work of fiction I ever read. But not that fictional, actually...

"Secret Soldier": The auto-biography of Israel's greatest commando. This guy's been everywhere, from the Entebbe raid to the Gollan Heights.

"Eaters of the Dead": The book that inspired the film "The 13th Warrior". To me, Crichton's finest work. Yes, even better than "Jurassic Park".

"Red President": A Cold-War novel in which the U.S. President is a USSR puppet. Chilling stuff.

"Emperor of America": What if America had an Emperor and not a President? A funny book.

"Red Army", "SSN", "The War in 2020", "The Third World War", "Crimson Tide", "Red Storm Rising", "Debt of Honor", "The Bear and the Dragon", "Team Yankee", "Cauldron", "The Fortunes of War": Hipothetical scenarios for future conflicts. All of them great, no exception.

So, here's my extensive-yet-incomplete-list. What's yours?

Last edited by Iwata : May 6, 2003 at 01:46 PM.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 11:36 AM   #2
La_Lune
Starfighter
168 flights since Jan 2002
Re: Recommended Reading

ANYTHING by Piers Anthony... especially the Incarnations series, and the Xanth series... and the Mode series... Anthing by Douglas Adams.... The Restaraunt at the end of the Universe, and So Long and Thanks for all The Fish....

I could go on.. but... no time.
La_Lune is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 11:53 AM   #3
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

Orson Scott Card's, Ender's Game. I reccomned the whole series.

Michael Crichton, Jurassic Park, Eater's of the dead. Both great books.

Empire of the Ants. Haven't finised it yet but its really good.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 12:03 PM   #4
Iwata
Autarch

Quote:
Empire of the Ants. Haven't finised it yet but its really good.

YOU'RE READING IT!!!!! YOU'RE ACTUALLY READING IT!!!! HURRAY!!!! I'M NOT ALONE ANYMORE!!!
Old May 5, 2003, 08:02 PM   #5
JACKER
The Paradisal Man
1,359 flights since Dec 2001

Fear by L. Ron Hubbard: My favorite Hubbard novel so far. Written in 1940, Jim Lowry walks home one afternoon only to find half way home that it is night time and four hours of his life are missing. There must be a logical explanation becuase even with much evidence thrown his way, there's no such thing as spirits or divine intervention for that matter. Everything must have a logical reason to it. This book is short and sweet. Everything happens so quickly that by the revelation comes it's just...SH!T! I mean that in a good way of course. Supposidly this was one of Stephen king's favorites growing up. Just remember that the ending was more revolutionary at the time it was written.

A nice little treat follows the ending of that book: at the end of FEAR in paperback, a Hubbard short story Borrowed Glory awaits. A cute little story about a sixty something year-old woman who realizes she has never lived, is given 48 hours of the rest of her life to experience what she never has. Love of course being the main thing. A cute story, but I felt it abondoned its original premise about a devil and an angel who bet eachother that a human would not accept being offered to experience or with hold something then having it taken away.

The Simpsons And Philosophy: The D'oh! Of Homer: Ths book focuses on how THE SIMPSONS satirize our real lives. It's great for anyone interested in The Simpsons or philosophy. It has everything you would want to know really and I feel smart after reading it.
JACKER is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 01:53 AM   #6
floyd
Libertarian
1,141 flights since Feb 2002

Chuck Palahniuk's lullaby was really good.
floyd is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 07:26 AM   #7
JACKER
The Paradisal Man
1,359 flights since Dec 2001

Just between us: I think I wata is obsessed with war.
JACKER is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 07:40 AM   #8
ThinWLady
Mrs. Tony Harrison
1,295 flights since Feb 2002

(finished) Victor Burgin: The End Of Art Theory - just because it's fun to read difficult words
(starting) Terry Pratchett: Sourcery - the cover looks nice
ThinWLady is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 08:27 AM   #9
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

Legend - by David Gemmell - the finest living author of heroic fantasy (and who am I to argue with that quote on the front cover). I consider this his best and, while still a touch too much overt "magic" for my liking, is a wonderful description of a huge battle between a few against the many.

Guards! Guards! - by Terry Pratchett - the finest living author of humourous fantasy (and who am I to argue with... well, everyone else!) Any of his "Watch" books are pure heaven to read.

Good Omens - is there anything that hasn't already been said about this classic from Pratchett and Neil "Sandman" Gaiman?

Anything Sci-Fi by Ian M Banks (as opposed to his non-SF alter-ego Ian Banks - the "M" is important!) - "Use of Weapons", "Consider Phlebus", "The Player of Games" etc. Pick any and revel in his maginificence.

Anything by Douglas Adams - especially Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 02:11 PM   #10
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Anything by Terry Pratchett, especially Good Omens, the greatest antichrist novel I've ever read.

(Good Omens Trivia - This book was originally going to be called William The Antichrist after Richmal Crompton's William series, but the Crompton estate disagreed, unsurprisingly I prefer Good Omens)

Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams - everyone else has recommendeed H2G", so I thought I'd recommend this. It's an account of DNA's trip around the world to study endangered species'. I gave my copy away to someone I now no longer get on with, so I have to get my own copy

Salem's Lot by Stephen King - my 2nd favourite vampire novel ever.

Dracula by Bram Stoker - my favourite vampire novel ever.

Red Dwarf by Grant Naylor - Not just a novelisation, but an expansion, re-imaginement, as funny as the series and more so in places.

and others - I'll edit this post when I think of them ...
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 03:44 PM   #11
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by Iwata

YOU'RE READING IT!!!!! YOU'RE ACTUALLY READING IT!!!! HURRAY!!!! I'M NOT ALONE ANYMORE!!!

Yep. I'm almost done, Jorney's End. I want to know WTF happens down in that cellar! its making me antsy. (pun intended)
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 05:49 PM   #12
Gildamere
Wing Commander
192 flights since Dec 2002

Joe Haldeman - The Forever War

Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game (mentioned before, but highly recommendable)

Michael Crichton - The Andromeda Strain, Sphere

Everything by Stephen Baxter, especially Vacuum Diagrams and the Manifold Trilogy

John Steakley - Armor

Vernor Vinge - A Deepness In The Sky

John Barnes - Kaleidoscope Century

Larry Niven - Lucifer's Hammer, Footfall, Protector

Tom Clany - Red Storm Rising, Without Remorse

Eddy Shah - Fallen Angels

Ben Bova - Orion

Frederick Pohl - Gateway
Gildamere is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 07:10 PM   #13
Emperor
Starfighter
61 flights since Jan 2003

RED STORM RISING: bY Tom Clancy.
The Moslem terrorists who destroyed the Soviet Union's largest petro-chemical plant thought they were striking a blow for freedom. What they had done, unkowingly, was fire the first shots of World War 3.
Desperately short of oil, the Kremlin hawks see only one way of solving their problem-seize the supplies in the Persian Gulf. To do that, they must first neutralise NATO's forces and eliminate their response. And so they develop Red Storm, a dazzling master plan of diplomatic subterfuge and intense re-armament.
The battle lines are drawn and Armageddon beckons.
(Taken from the novel's back cover)

This book is truly intense, and a great read. It is the second time I have read it.

THE MATARESE CIRCLE: by Robert Ludlum.
Vasili Taleniekov, former director or the KGB, is wanted by the Politburo. Brandon Scofield, the West's most professional assassin, is now considered dangerous and unstable by the State Department. These two men are sworn enemies. Their hatred runs deep and furious. But they are forced to join together against a common enemy: the Matarese.
They are the Corsican brotherhood. Their power binds the world in potential chaos and destruction. The Corsican fever must spread no further...

The best spy novel I have ever read.

ONCE A PILGRIM: by Will Scully.
Ex-SAS soldier Will Scully travelled to Sierra Leone in May 1997. His job was to protect geologists prospecting for gold in the jungle. Within days of his arrival violence erupted in the capital, Freetown, where he became stranded along with countless other refugees.
As the coup to oust President Kabbah's democratic government intensified, so too did frantic efforts to escape the country. But Scully and hundreds of civillians were caught, trapped in the Hotel Mammy Yoko, under siege and under fire. He took control of an explosive situation to single-handedly defend the hotel against over 200 heavily armed rebels and lead the hostages to safety.

A true story, and a brilliant, graphic account.
Emperor is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 08:32 PM   #14
Iwata
Autarch

Quote:
Vernor Vinge

"A Fire upon the Deep" is his best book to me. Great plot.

Quote:
Tom Clany - Red Storm Rising, Without Remorse

I didn't enjoy "Without Remorse". His best books to me are still "Rainbow Six" and "Red Storm Rising".

Quote:
Yep. I'm almost done, Jorney's End. I want to know WTF happens down in that cellar! its making me antsy. (pun intended

Freaky, ain't it? Quick question: Who's your fav character? I can tell you right away that to me it's the Princess 56.

Odly enough, I'm going to Lisbon tomorrow on a quest to find the 2 sequels, "Day of the Ants" and "Revolution of the Ants".

Glad you're enjoying it. Sidenote: The PC game is great fun.
Old May 6, 2003, 08:47 PM   #15
Lt_Johnny_Rico
380 flights since Aug 2002

Band of Brothers and Citizen Soldiers by Stephen E. Ambrose - Two very good books about American involvment in Europe during World War II. I used to not like Ambrose's books that much because they focused too much on the Americans, but I started to like them better recently because I realized that Ambrose is actually a pretty good historian.

Enemy at the Gates by William Craig - A very good book about the Battle of Stalingrad, the bloodiest battle of the Second World War.

The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan - A great book about D-Day.
Lt_Johnny_Rico is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]