Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Dune (1984)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Dune (1984)

A world beyond your experience, beyond your imagination. | guide

Old Apr 3, 2002, 08:29 AM   #1
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Re: Dune Sequel Due At Sci-Fi

The Sci-Fi channel is currently in pre-production for a sequel to last years mini-series (which I haven't seen yet) - Children of Dune which will combine the stories of Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. The only name now associated with the project - Susan Sarandon.

Read all the books that followed Dune, one of the greatest science fiction books ever written, and didn't like any of them. Been a while since I read them though, fifteen years or better.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2002, 09:33 PM   #2
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

My sentiments exactly. Dune was a wonderfull future history in every sense of the word, and the sequals were all insanely outlandish and quite pointless.

The original is a true masterpiece of the genre. The way that Herbert intertwined real historical events, trends, place and character names that have only hazy and exotic associations for most readers to weave a living world... breathtaking!
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2002, 09:03 AM   #3
Oscar
Sector Marshall
756 flights since Feb 2002

I have only seen the mini-series and I thought it sucked.
Oscar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2002, 01:48 PM   #4
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally posted by Oscar
I have only seen the mini-series and I thought it sucked.
Damn... lets hope that it did not ruin your potential enjoyment of one of SF's classics!
Old Apr 6, 2002, 06:24 PM   #5
darkjedi
Sector Marshall
609 flights since Mar 2002

The original movie is 100x better than that mini-series Sci-Fi did.
darkjedi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2002, 07:04 PM   #6
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally posted by darkjedi
and the book beats 'em both by a lightyear!
Old Apr 17, 2002, 01:57 PM   #7
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Quote:
Originally posted by darkjedi

I assume you are referring to the David Lynch film - the one with Patrick Stewart and Sting (and that goofy guy that plays in all of Lynch's films). I thought the film was horrible, loosely peicing together the events of the book to the point of incoherence. Had I not read the book I doubt I could have followed the movie. I first read the novel at 13, considering a major accomplishment of early teens. Have read it about six times since then and think it stands as one of the finest pieces of modern science fiction yet written.

Last edited by HighWiredSith : Apr 18, 2002 at 09:21 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2002, 09:26 PM   #8
darkjedi
Sector Marshall
609 flights since Mar 2002

Yeah, I loved that film. I just thought it was one of the coolest sci-fi movies I had seen. I know the book is awesome too, I just liked the movie alot.
darkjedi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:20 AM   #9
Thufir Hawat
Pilot
27 flights since Nov 2005
Question Re: Dune Sequel Due At Sci-Fi

Which 1984 version are you guys talking about? The David Lynch version? Or the Alan Smithee (extended version disowned by Lynch) version?
Thufir Hawat is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 11:19 AM   #10
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

I knew there were at least two version of the Lynch film (have heard there are as many as five versions from different TV presentations and releases). I'll have to check my DVD but I am pretty sure it's the extended version.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 08:31 AM   #11
Thufir Hawat
Pilot

If in your DVD, the spitting scene (Baron Harkonnen spitting on Jessica) is cut out and the Bile extraction scene (Water of life being taken from juvenile worm) is included, then you have the extended Alan Smithee version. In Hollywood up until a few years ago, anytime a director was not happy with the final product, they would use the psuedonym 'Alan Smithee' instead of their own name.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	harvester_large.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	1180  
Old Dec 8, 2005, 10:50 PM   #12
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Thufir Hawat
If in your DVD, the spitting scene (Baron Harkonnen spitting on Jessica) is cut out and the Bile extraction scene (Water of life being taken from juvenile worm) is included, then you have the extended Alan Smithee version. In Hollywood up until a few years ago, anytime a director was not happy with the final product, they would use the psuedonym 'Alan Smithee' instead of their own name.

You are an interesting read. Im at the Smithee comment. I have the "owned" Lynch version, and I consider it the best, but now you have me all curious. Still, if the difference are as minimal as you say, what is the big deal??

Although, the Baron spitting on the prone Jessica, was the ultimate subjection of her - a Bene Gesserit possessed of full power...no, now that I think of it, that scene was key; the Baron reveling in his short-lived victory...
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 09:17 AM   #13
Thufir Hawat
Pilot

There are many other differences, particularly the beginning, where instead of Princess Irulan giving the background introduction, A voice over with some cartoon like pictures depicting the machine crusade was included.
The 'Lynch' version is clearly the better however the 'Smithee' version does answer some questions that you may have had. I think the 'Smithee' version is only available in Region 2 and Region 4, so if you are in the USA, you'd have to get one imported from Australia or Japan.
And by the way your comments on the spitting scene are very astute. The Baron was given his vile infliction by the Bene Gesserit sisterhood, so this was a great display of contempt, and satisfaction in knowing that he was getting his revenge.

Last edited by Thufir Hawat : Dec 9, 2005 at 09:24 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 09:45 AM   #14
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

Back in topic, I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I thought that both miniseries did a far better job of telling the story and showing the Dune universe than the Lynch movie.

In fact, as I mentioned elsewhere, I regard both Dune miniseries as perfect examples on how to perfectly adapt a literary work to the screen.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 10:40 AM   #15
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

Then I'm in the minority as well, as I thought the miniseries were done far better. Though, I thought 'Children' lost alot of points in the fact that several key actors were replaced, Duncan, Stilgar, Jessica, etc. Alice Krige is a fine actress, but I preferred Seskia Reeves as Lady Jessica.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Dune (1984)