Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

This is the forum to get to know your fellow pilots and the ONLY place to talk about everything else not really relevant to sci-fi movies, including your personal loves and interests. A true pilot doesn't discuss these issues while on duty.

Old Mar 30, 2007, 05:39 PM   #1
Sharky
Cluster Admiral
1,670 flights since Nov 2001
In the words of Neo, "Woah!"

Ok. I happened to stumble across this group on Facebook recently. I've never heard of this case before, but the implications are huge. Take a gander for yourself:

Quote:
Courtesy of Facebook.com
Imagine what a spiritual black women in America could do with one billion dollars and a real concern for humanity. You may never know.

Sophia Jackson is an African American woman who has been cheated out of almost a billion dollars worth of sales, purchases and revunues from the success of The Matrix series of movies and the Terminator movies. She was cheated when her scripts was STOLEN by the Wachowski brothers and she is fighting for her payment.

The reason we need a group like this to show support and spread awareness is because her lawxuit is against AOL/Time Warner and the Warner Brothers film company. For those of you who don't know, AOL/Time Warner owns about 90% of the media in the United States and abroad. If you do a Yahoo/Google search for Sophia Jackson's lawsuit you will only find approximately 10 pages, because NO media outlet will cover the story. Why? Because the people she is suing owns 90% of the media. AOL/TIME WARNER IS THE BIGGEST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION ON EARTH, RIVALED ONLY BY SONY, MICROSOFT, AND OTHER COMPANIES IN THE TOP MOST ECHELON OF MONEY AND POWER. They have a lot of influence and control of media outlets directly and indirectly, which includes some of the largest Black and Latino Media outlets, which means that not only will national media syndicates not cover the story at AOL/Time Warner's demand, but even minority-specific media companies and websites wont. Even on the web their tentacles stretch over to one of the most popular destinations for Blacks, Blackplanet.com, and popular latino and asian news and cultural websites. They even have major control of myspace.com, CNN, Fox, ABC, the list goes on and on. The suppression channels cover a lot of ground, but thanks to vigorous reporters especially at the grassroots level the story started to surface in bits and pieces. After all this is the Matrix, a cult classic and the most copied, satirized and creatively influential movie in arguably the last two decades. The Matrix represents the second highest Grossing Trilogy behind Lord of The Rings. Simultaneously while Ms.Stewart was in court fighting for her case to be heard, the Matrix sequel hit theatres. The Matrix Reloaded (2003) was released and according to the Internet Movie Database became the 24 highest grossing movie of all time at $281,492,479. Combine that with domestic receipts of The Matrix (1999) and The Matrix Revolutions (2003) and the Matrix has grossed near a billion dollars domestically. Taking into account international box office receipts and merchandising and the Matrix movies surpass the billion dollar mark and may have no equal outside of Star Wars.

You see then, her struggle. This group is to spread awareness of his struggle.

NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO SILENCE A PERSON WHO HAS BEEN CHEATED OUT OF ALMOST A BILLION DOLLARS. MAKE SURE TO SPREAD THIS INFORMATION TOO ALL YOUR FRIENDS. IN AN EVIL, NEO POLITICAL, BASTARDIZING COUNTRY LIKE THE UNITED STATES IT IS HARD FOR A BLACK, BROWN, OR YELLOW PERSON TO GET THE CREDIT THEY DESERVE. THE MORE WE SUPPORT SOPHIA, THE MORE WE HELP A BLACK WOMAN DEFEAT A BASTARDIZING SYSTEM THAT IS DETERMINED TO MAKE US MODERN DAY SLAVES.The reason I invite not just blacks to join this cause but all minority groups is because the reality of it is: THE PLIGHT OF BLACK AMERICA IS THE PLIGHT OF MEXICAN AMERICA, BORIQUA AMERICA, DOMINICAN AMERICA, CUBAN AMERICA, ASIAN AMERICA, JEWISH AMERICA, HAITIAN AMERICA, FILIPINO AMERICA, AND ALL MINORITY GROUPS IN THIS COUNTRY THAT ARE CHEATED. This time's it's Sophia Jackson. Next time it could be Sophia Ortiz, Sophia Mulumbo, Sophia Hernandez, Sophia Streiz, Sonya Liu, the list goes on. We of all races need to stand up against the abuse that we as minorities in America receive.

PLEASE READ THE INTERVIEW WITH SOPHIA JACKSON FOR COMPLETE DETAILS OF HOW THE SCRIPT WAS STOLEN FROM HER, COPIED, AND MANIFESTED INTO MATRIX I, II, III AND TERMINATOR I AND II.

And the interview:

Quote:
INTERVIEW WITH SOPHIA JACKSON & DETAILS

Here's the truth about how one of the most successful movies of the 21st century was plagiarized.

In late 2003, when Playahata.com first heard that somebody else outside of the Wachowski Brothers was claiming to have written the Matrix, many of us were not shocked at that accusation. We later learned that the women who claimed to have written the Matrix was a Black woman from New York that had a lot of experience as a writer and was once very connected in celebrity circles. Her name is Sophia Stewart.

It was ironic that information started to surface from community media outlets like Brother Jammal, Gary Byrd and on the web at www.Daghettotymz.com that pointed to Sofia Stewart as the "Mother Of The Matrix" just like in the Warner Brothers Sci-Fi Movie Trilogy.

Tabulating what is at stake here is s no easy task since the story gets complicated by the fact that her court case also involves the blockbuster film, The Terminator. Before any of this could be sorted it out though, Ms. Stewart's case had to first reach the court system before it could all be worked out and thus On October 4th 2004 after a long behind the scenes battle, Judge Margaret Morrow of Central District of California made the decision to have the courts proceed with the biggest copyright infringement and racketeering case in movie history.

Its been a long time in coming considering that Stewart filed her case in 1999, after her shock at seeing the Matrix. Immediately she said she knew it was based on her original manuscript entitled the "The Third Eye," which has a copyright, which dates back to 1981.

This is Part 1 of the tale of Sophia Stewart vs. the Wachowski Brothers, Joel Silver and Warner Brothers.

In coming days expect to see more media appearances from Stewart including upcoming features in The Source Magazine and BET to name a few but here Bruce Banter discusses with Sofia primer questions introduced by Roporter on this Question of who wrote the Matrix?

Part I: The Oracle Reveals.....

Mother of the Matrix?

Playahata.com: How and when did the Wachowski brothers get a hold of your script called the "Third Eye" to turn it into a movie?

Sophia Stewart: They got access to my script around 1986. I sent it to them because they had an ad in a national magazine looking for science fiction manuscripts that they were going to turn into a comic book. I sent it to the Wachowski brothers in Chicago. I never heard anything back from them. I had also shopped the script around Hollywood to other places. I did not know anything became of the script until 1999 when I went to the movies to see The Matrix. When I saw it with my friend Seagram, I was astonished, just blown away.

Playahata.com: Well, the Wachowski brothers have yet to answer your lawyers legal challenges and since they don’t do interviews regarding The Matrix you pretty much have free reign until the trial starts?

Sophia Stewart: This idea that they don’t do interviews is crazy, when have u ever heard of such a thing, This is one of the hottest movies of all time and they just don’t want to talk about it. They can’t talk about what they don’t understand, these high concepts that I have laid out which came from years of study. I wrote another epic like "Third Eye" called Soul’less it means born without a soul, I can duplicate my Matrix concepts. The Wachowski brothers have no other bodies of work like the Matrix they have Bound and some other assassin movie they did. I have been writing for a long time I worked on Janet Jackson first television feature scripts called “My Special Love” and “Blue Short”. I received my degree in Journalism from City University of New York in 1979. I moved to California to study Cinema at USC Film school, the same school that George Lucas and Steven Spielberg went to. I have studied writing under some of the most famous authors and writers in the world such as Max Segall, Emille Capouya, Paul Cherry etc. To my knowledge the Wachowski Brothers did not even go to film school. I worked as an intern with WNET channel 13 PBS. Check out my bio.

Playahata.com: First off the majority of people don’t understand how The Terminator plays into this lawsuit, they see a direct connection with your manuscript and The Matrix film. However The Terminator is a different movie, they get confused trying to figure out why you are suing both, please make the connection for us.

Sophia Stewart: First these two franchises are owned by the same people or movie house. Ok, The Terminator and The Matrix are actually “one book”. That’s my "Third Eye" manuscript. It’s nine chapters but it's all from the same source (no pun intended) Terminator starts from the front of my book to the back. Matrix starts from the back of my book and works its way to the front. They are moving in two opposite directions. My book was separated into two. "The Third Eye" is an epic, my book spans three time frames the past, the present and the future. Those films do the same thing. The child in the first Terminator who is born to the pregnant lady (Sarrah Connor) grows up to be the same as the grown man character in the Matrix called Neo, it’s that chosen one, savior concept. Matrix starts in the future, when technology has taken over. The Terminator was sent to kill the child who was prophesized to destroy the machines. That intersects directly with Neo as being the one prophesized to bring the machine reign to an end. One critic who is unaware of my lawsuit called the movies cousins but they are actually one in the same in the original.

Playahata.com: I see the themes being the same like Man vs Machine or Technology vs Humanity, both have the apocalyptic vision of world ending as we know it if the machines win. The artificial intelligence wanting to survive on its own.
Sophia Stewart: When you read "The Third Eye", you will see it's all one story. You have to understand I am very subtle with the way I write, I work on the subliminal. When I write I don’t want people to be able to tell my race or gender. Look at Octavia Butler the most famous black female science fiction writer they never put her work on the big screen.

Playahata.com: WAIT, I want to back track why didn’t you come out with the lawsuit after The Terminator movie came out since The Terminator was before The Matrix?

Sophia Stewart: I have not seen The Terminator film so I never knew. They can’t punish me for not having seen The Terminator. Actually my friend James Perry read the "Third Eye" and said "wow, this is The Terminator movie" but initially I never paid much attention to him. To this day the studio only tried to dismiss my case by saying the statue of limitation had expired but copyright laws go by “discovery date”, so they start from when the plaintiff discovers the problem. I currently work as a paralegal so I know about the law. When I moved to file the lawsuit against the Wachowski Brothers / Matrix in Federal court the FBI investigated and established the connection with the Terminator film for me, they established my work as having been used in the Terminator , other wise it would have just been the Matrix in my lawsuit.. Letters to me by the FBI called “evidence of access” establish my work on site. Bruce I want you to emphasize this point cause people need to understand this, “what is protected under the copyright is the expression”. These concepts have been around for thousand of years but what my copyright protects is the expression. My story is a science fiction story, its created in a science fiction form and all the subliminal esoteric stuff is unique that is my expression, so the concepts may not be new, nobody can own a concept but it is how these ideas were presented, the expression which the law protects. Copyrights last for about.175 years

Playahata.com: Before we go into the heart of your story, I want to discuss some of the court documents that you have provided me with and some of the more dramatic points that you have shared with us. The infamous term of Arnold’s –“I ‘ll be back.” – you say that you created that right?.

Sophia Stewart: Yes, Arnold Schwarzenegger was on the Howard Stern show and Stern asked him about the popular phrase. “I’ll be back”. Stern asked where did it come from. Arnold told him that he did not know where it came from because it wasn’t in the script. He said one of the directors or producers on the set just told him to say it and he has been saying it ever since. That “I’ll be back” quote is in my original script which is copy written from 1981.It wasn’t written in the movie script but it was in my book, the "Third Eye". I can prove that, my manuscript is physical evidence of who had it first.

Playahata.com: Lets go over a few striking similarities between your manuscript and the movie, you have the Character Named Icon which can be translated to the one sacred persona, I means first and we all know that the name Neo is a anagram for the word One and in the movie they call him “The One” and he is a sacred personage. What other similarities from characters in your book and the Matrix can you tell us about?

Sophia Stewart: I have what’s called a character analysis sheet, that profiles all of my characters and all mostly all the matrix characters have parallels of my people. In my work I had illustrations and logo’s to compare them with also. The FBI investigators used this to establish things. Icon gets blinded and the gold light comes out of his eyes, Neo has the same experience. I can show you the page and all of that in my book. Icon’s human side dies and he is reborn and Neo’s human side dies and he is reborn, Icon comes into spiritual power and Neo comes into spiritual power. I have the old gypsy hag and they have the Oracle they work in the same capacity. In "Third Eye" my character Trafeeny has been renamed Trinity ,Vashtar is renamed Morpheus, X’sers is Apock (sp) , Un becomes Cypher, Sona is Switch, Treve is Mouse, That is straight theft no real creativity even in their theft. I have the three levels of authority which was 3 guys that could pass their power off to each other - they all become one man that is the three agents. In my book I have The Dome which is a hidden city above the earth they have Zion which is a hidden city below the Earth. I have the Guardians they have the Sentinels.

Pretty shocking claims. Surely a hoax. I've never heard of such a thing (not that that has anything to do with anything). But a bit of digging on Google.....

Quote:
Courtesy of Afrikan World Reparitions and Repatriation Truth Comission - www.awrrtc.com
Black Author (Sophia Stewart) wins The Matrix Copyright Infringement Case
2005-09-11

This little known story has met a just conclusion, as Sophia Stewart, African American author of The Matrix will finally receive her just due from the copyright infringement of her original work!!! Monday, October 4th 2004 ended a six-year dispute involving Sophia Stewart, the Wachowski Brothers, Joel Silver and Warner Brothers. Stewart's allegations, involving copyright infringement and racketeering, were received and acknowledged by the Central District of California, Judge Margaret Morrow residing.

Stewart, a New Yorker who has resided in Salt Lake City for the past five years, will recover damages from the films, The Matrix I, II and III, as well as The Terminator and its sequels. She will soon receive one of the biggest payoffs in the history of Hollywood, as the gross receipts of both films and their sequels total over 2.5 billion dollars.

Stewart filed her case in 1999, after viewing the Matrix, which she felt had been based on her manuscript, The Third Eye, copyrighted in 1981. In the mid eighties Stewart had submitted her manuscript to an ad placed by the Wachowski Brothers, requesting new sci-fi works.

According to court documentation, an FBI investigation discovered that more than thirty minutes had been edited from the original film, in an attempt to avoid penalties for copyright infringement. The investigation also stated that credible witnesses employed at Warner Brothers came forward, claiming that the executives and lawyers had full knowledge that the work in question did not belong to the Wachowski Brothers. These witnesses claimed to have seen Stewart's original work and that it had been often used during preparation of the motion pictures. The defendants tried, on several occasions, to have Stewart's case dismissed, without success.

Stewart has confronted skepticism on all sides, much of which comes from Matrix fans, who are strangely loyal to the Wachowski Brothers. One on-line forum, entitled Matrix Explained has an entire section devoted to Stewart. Some who have researched her history and writings are open to her story. Others are suspicious and mocking. It doesn't bother me, said Stewart in a phone interview last week, I always knew what was true.

Some fans, are unaware of the case or they question its legitimacy, due to the fact that it has received little to no media coverage. Though the case was not made public until October of 2003, Stewart has her own explanation, as quoted at aghettotymz.com:

The reason you have not seen any of this in the media is because Warner Brothers parent company is AOL-Time Warner... this GIANT owns 95 percent of the media... let me give you a clue as to what they own in the media business... New York Times papers/magazines, LA Times papers/magazines, People Magazine, CNN news, Extra, Celebrity Justice, Entertainment Tonight, HBO, New Line Cinema, Dreamworks, Newsweek, Village Roadshow... many, many more!... They are not going to report on themselves. They have been suppressing my case for years... Fans who have taken Stewart's allegations seriously, have found eerie mythological parallels, which seem significant in a case that revolves around the highly metaphorical and symbolic Matrix series. Sophia, the Greek goddess of wisdom has been referenced many times in speculation about Stewart. In one book about the Goddess Sophia, it reads, The black goddess is the mistress of web creation spun in her divine matrix.

Although there have been outside implications as to racial injustice (Stewart is African American), she does not feel that this is the case. This is all about the Benjamins, said Stewart. It's not about money with me. It's about justice.

Stewart's future plans involve a record label, entitled Popsilk Records, and a motion picture production company, All Eyez On Me, in reference to God. I wrote The Third Eye to wake people up, to remind them why God put them here. There's more to life than money, said Stewart.

My whole to the world is about God and good and about choice, about spirituality over 'technocracy'. If Stewart represents spirituality, then she truly has prevailed over the technocracy represented in both the Terminator and the Matrix, and now, ironically, by their supposed creators.

Stewart is currently having discussions with CBS about a possible exclusive story and has several media engagements in the near future to nationally publicize her victory. June 13th 2004. Sophia Stewart's press release read: The Matrix Terminator movie franchises have made world history and have ultimately changed the way people view movies and how Hollywood does business, yet the real truth about the creator and creation of these films continue to elude the masses because the hidden secret of the matter is that these films were created and written by a Black woman... a Black woman named Sophia Stewart. But Hollywood does not want you to know this fact simply because it would change history. Also it would encourage our Black children to realize a dream and that is... nothing is impossible for them to achieve!

A quick check on Wikipedia:

Quote:
Courtesy of Wikipedia.com
Sophia Stewart (aka Zenia Kavala) is the author of a work titled The Third Eye by Sophia Stewart. In May 1981 she registered the manuscript with the United States Copyright Office (TXu 117-610) on February 2, 1983 [1]. Additional work was registered on February 6, 1984 (TXu-154-281) consisting of a narrative, preface, introductions, 8 brief chapters, and illustrations. Stewart claims this work has been creatively infringed upon by the movie series The Matrix and Terminator, and has taken legal action. Stewart asserts that "these two franchises are owned by the same people or movie house".[2]

In the original copyright registration for The Third Eye and letters from the author, Stewart uses Sofia, and uses both Sophia and Sofia in real life. She says they both mean the same.

Litigation
A complaint was filed by Stewart against Larry Wachowski and Andy Wachowski, Warner Brothers, and Joel Silver, (responsible for The Matrix and its sequels/spinoffs) and Gale Ann Hurd, James Cameron, Hemdale Films and 20th Century Fox (responsible for Terminator and its sequels) in the United States District Court for the Central District of California on April 24, 2003 [3][4]. In the complaint, damages are sought for relief from the results of copyright infringement, RICO violations, and supplemental state claims.

On October 4, 2004, the court granted her leave to continue the case against the accused. [5]. This particular case has since been dismissed:

Stewart's case was dismissed in June 2005 when she failed to show up for a preliminary hearing of her case. In a 53-page ruling, Judge Margaret Morrow of the Central District Court of California dismissed the suit, saying Stewart and her attorneys had not entered any evidence to bolster its key claims or demonstrated any striking similarity between her work and the accused directors' films. As of this writing, Stewart's case is no longer before the courts. She has announced that she does not plan to let the matter drop, so possibly this case will someday be re-filed and heard, but for now it is over.

And last but not least, a whole website dedicated to this woman @ www.sophiaoracle.com

Why have I not heard about this before? Even if what the articles claim is true, that this was suppressed by AOL/Time Warner, surely it would have been picked up elsewhere. If I can, I might pick up this woman's book.

Or am I just way way out of the loop on this one and this is old news?
Sharky is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 05:51 PM   #2
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Re: In the words of Neo, "Woah!"

I think it is old; I recall hearing something like this before. But it doesn't matter much because The Matrix also ripped off Fassbinder, Proyas, William Gibson, ect. ect.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 05:54 PM   #3
Sharky
Cluster Admiral

And Cameron has admitted that his ideas came from a couple of Harlan Ellison stories. One was called "I Have No Mouth But I Want To Scream" and I can't remember the other one.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 06:06 PM   #4
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

Interestingly, in one of Empire's Movie Almanacs (I think it might have been the second one), they said that the "bullet time" effect was actually done by a GAP advert first.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 06:09 PM   #5
Sharky
Cluster Admiral

I remember seeing that (the almanac, not the advert). Never seen the advert. There's some bullet-time footage on The Matrix Revisted DVD that's not in the film. Wonder if that's it?
Old Mar 30, 2007, 06:12 PM   #6
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

I believe I saw the advert, but it was after I saw The Matrix so I thought it was GAP that was doing the copying. It had a shot of a dog leaping into some water and freezing in mid-air. There was also another bit where they do it with a still image of a pupil/student's hand being raised in the air to answer a question in class...it wasn't as exciting as The Matrix's use of bullet-time, really.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 11:33 AM   #7
Sharky
Cluster Admiral

The only other movie, in my opinion, that has managed to effectively use bullet-time without being a spoof or ripoff of The Matrix is the opening scene of Swordfish - which you have to admit looks pretty cool.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 08:40 PM   #8
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

didn't I post something about this years ago? Probably not.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 02:41 PM   #9
Sharky
Cluster Admiral

Probably. But I must have missed it.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 05:25 PM   #10
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Sounds vaguel familiar. The whole her allegedly winning $2.5bill and then not turning up to court sounds fishy though.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 12:10 PM   #11
Sharky
Cluster Admiral

Info on this case does seem to be pretty vague.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 12:37 PM   #12
videonaut
Starfighter
145 flights since Sep 2003

Did anybody ever get ahold of the book, "Third Eye", and read it?

Sciflicks Beta Site
http://z7.invisionfree.com/SciFlicks...ex.php?act=idx

Last edited by videonaut : Jul 7, 2009 at 10:56 PM.
videonaut is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:03 PM   #13
Sharky
Cluster Admiral

No. I get paid on Friday, but I need to pay my dad back for advancing me the money for my Wii (done so I wouldn't have to pay for the Internet Channel), then buy an official NES cleaning kit and The Ultimate Ted Nugent CD. I'll see what I have left after that, but there's a lot of other stuff I need to investigate purchasing, such as Twisted Sister tickets in November.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 03:38 PM   #14
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Er you don't have to pay for the net channel, you just have to pay for the Opera software after this month - which will be like a couple of quid.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:23 PM   #15
Sharky
Cluster Admiral

Well whatever. I just wanted a Wii, and a couple of quid is a couple of quid. With that I could get the trolley into the city, catch a motion picture performance, 2 cartoons and a newsreel and still have change left for fish and chips afterwards

At least I could until Brown slimed his way into Downing Street lol.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]