Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Logan's Run (1976, 2007) [original and upcoming re-adaptation]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Logan's Run (1976, 2007) [original and upcoming re-adaptation]

Welcome to the 23rd Century. The perfect world of total pleasure. ...there's just one catch. | original guide

Old Nov 13, 1999, 09:18 AM   #1
Christopher Dalton
n/a flights since
Lightbulb Re: Carousel begins...

Logan's Run is definately my favorite movie of all time. It was the first movie I ever saw. It made me a fan of Sir Michael York and Jenny Agutter. As well as establishing a life long crush with Jenny. The storyline was very solid and entertaining, if not convincing. The special effects were awesome, if not explosive. I also enjoyed the late Richard Jordan's performance as Francis. Peter Ustinov should have won the Oscar for his role as the old man. He did a marvelous performance, and his Southern accent was really a delight to hear. Farraf Fawcett was sweet and innocent as Holly, Roscoe Lee Brown was frightfully convincing as Box, and Michael Anderson, Jr. gave a real hateful performance as the conniving runner Doc. Gary Morgan was deliciously deliquent as Billy.

I also loved the wonderful electronic/orchestral soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith. It was one of his best soundtracks. I was so amazed and stunned by the scenes in Washington D.C. that it was hard to believe that it was once our nation's capital. The domed city was really beautiful, as were the buildings inside of them. I really liked the scenes in the Mall and the carousel, as well. the costuming was really well done, and the Sandmen sleeper guns, equally impressive.

This movie deserved a sequel and not the trashy television series that CBS had put together so haphazardly. Logan's Run is definately a cult classic that has withstood the test of time, and it brings out a serious message of what could happen in our world if we don't take better care of it. Most of all, I liked the movie beacuse of the women that were in it, too. I do wish that Michael Anderson would release a director's cut to the film, with all the scenes that were originally edited out. That is event I would like to see happen.
Old Nov 13, 1999, 10:56 AM   #2
Joshua Michael Downham
n/a flights since
Re: Carousel begins...

Logan's Run was a film that the critcs hated. It suffered an unjust fate at the box-office and became widely known (again, by critcs) as one of the worst sci-fi films ever made. I, and millions of others, don't agree. Logan's Run May not be a classic and yes, it could have been better, but it's still doesn't deserve to be trashed by critcs.

For one, the music score by Jerry Goldsmith (Planet of the Apes, Alien, Total Recall) is outstanding. Two, the special effects and sets are fantastic. This redeems the poor script 100%.
Old Nov 14, 1999, 02:51 PM   #3
Jim Bullard
n/a flights since
Run, Forrest...er, Logan. Run.

Logan's Run was very different from the classic novel it was derived from (how many times have you heard that complaint?), but somehow managed to be a cinematic classic.

Groundbreaking (for the time anyway) special effects, a wonderful musical score, wonderfully paced action scenes and deft use of symbolism combined to make this a classic.

But, like so much pre-Star Wars sci-fi, it was unmercifully panned by critics. If this type of film were to come out today, it would have garnered much more of the respect it deserved - and found its audience (if not theatrically, later on video or cable).

Perhaps, since even Planet of the Apes May be updated for the new millenium, Logan May run anew.
Old Dec 2, 1999, 03:59 PM   #4
John Anthony
n/a flights since
The Greatest Movie Ever Made In SciFi

I rate this movie an A+++

I think it is very original athough they did not follow the book completely. Nevertheless it is visually stunning and innovative in its tempus fugit of a 7Os SciFi. The music far ahead of its time which has also become an obscession of mine being an electronic musician. So if anyone out there wants to play this kind of music let me know so we can get together and write. Utopia\distopia are my favorite themes. [Maxentivs@aol.com]
Old Dec 21, 1999, 08:44 PM   #5
Netboy 007
n/a flights since
Drama show's butt kicker

This movie called Logan's Run is a so called fantasy that has stuff not like real life. No nursing homes because nobody can live past 30. I Think 31 or 32 is when people start to grow old in the 23rd century. This movie is better than the drama show Party of Five(made 280 years before carousel). It's like 1984's Dune. That box robot looks like the bicentennial man with a square body. This Movie is alot like the Matrix(1999).
Old Dec 24, 1999, 11:54 AM   #6
Marakoon Apiza
n/a flights since
A Magic Classic!

Ranks up there with Kubrick, perhaps even surpasses his best work, a story of survival of the individual, Logan, through the harshest master controlled society imaginable. Much recommended for all.
Old Jan 6, 2000, 05:56 PM   #7
John W. McGarrah
n/a flights since
Favorite all time movie!

Logan's Run has alway been, and will always be, wy favorite movie of all time. I think in many ways it was ahead of it's time. (and I still think that Jenny Agutter is the most beautiful woman who has ever lived. The soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith is incredible and also ahead of it's time. Some of his best work ever, until Star Trek. If there are any Logan collectors out there E-mail me. [jonmcgarrah@aol.com]
Old Jan 18, 2000, 07:02 PM   #8
Norman5
n/a flights since
One of my top fav sci fi movies

Logan's Run is simply wonderful. Jenny A. is mesmarizing as Jessica, the as it were "Eve" in Logan's world.

Richard Jordan plays Logan's best friend, then worst enemy.

I really can't say enough about this film. So I won't bother. You will.... fall in love with Jessica, wish you were Logan, long for and then hate the society they live in...

This is 70's sci fi and maybe sci fi as a whole's best.

The latest DVD version is very well done.

Norman Boisvert
Old Jan 30, 2000, 11:34 AM   #9
Chris LR
n/a flights since

Logan's run is a terrific movie, if for nothing else, the imaginative world it creates in the mind's of its viewers. It's a place where the overpopulation problem is finally "solved" - and where the younger generation finally beats out the over 30 crowd once and for all. (Critics who fail to pick up on Jerry Rubin's "Dont trust anyone over 30" dictum, in regards to this movie, is missing the boat.)

Of course, without any sense of history, or the wisdom of the ancients for that matter, what happens is the creation of a totally narcissitic world, that ironically loses the "skeptical, questioning" part of youth culture that originally sought to overthrow the influence of the older generation in the first place. What we are left with is a hedonisitic paradise, totally unconscious of its past or future, and totally devoid of the intellect that created it in the first place. It is only the stumbling, hedonisitcally driven Logan who can restore the past. (Logan, after all, is out to save his own skin as much as he is out to complete his mission...)

I particularly enjoy the tension of this movie, to which the music adds to greatly, and was genuinely surprised at the positive outcome at movie end - which is a tribute to the script, even if it is otherwise flawed.

I would have to say that this sci fi movie is a classic, and its far and away superior to 95% of the sci fi movies since its release... which includes the absolute cliched, hackneyed, bore fest known as "star wars" - a sci fi movie for the dullard masses that in reality is nothing more than a 1930's serial movie, with special effects. (Seriously, divorce the budget and the special effects from this "story" and all you get it a cartoon fit for saturday morning.)
Old Feb 2, 2000, 06:55 PM   #10
Carrie
n/a flights since

This is my favorite movie of all time!! It was on Sci-fi Channel one night and I could hear the strange music from the other room, so I went to see what it was, and I was spellbound through the whole movie, waiting to see if they found sanctuary. I now own the movie and have watched several times over. Now looking for the 3-part book to own.
Old Mar 31, 2000, 11:21 AM   #11
Jürgen
n/a flights since
N° 1

It´s undoubtedly the best Sci-Fi Movie I have ever seen. At least a hundred times better than any senseless effect orgies like Star Wars. It is said that any kind of Science Fiction shines a certain light on the age it was created in. If so the last 24 years seem to be a period of intellectual decline.
Old May 3, 2000, 08:31 PM   #12
Francis 7
n/a flights since

I can rememember seeing this movie for the first time in the theater. It was the first novel I ever read and still have to this day. The movie touched me in many ways.

I recommed it to anyone who wants something more than great special effects. I need a story and a sense of hope for our future, which at times seems to be heading in the way Logan's world was. We have all become self absorbed and tend to forget the one thing that we can not do alone and that is to love. Take the time to view this movie and take to heart it's meanings, I think we can see ourselfs in them.
Old May 22, 2000, 08:08 PM   #13
dancinjohn
n/a flights since
One of my favorites

This is my favorite Sci-fi film. I never was a sci-fi fan, but loved this one. It was shown to me the first time in a world civilivation class I had in my freshmen year in high school back in 1992. I love the whole theme and the plot of the story. I just bought the movie finally in DVD and have watch aleady twice in the few days I bought it. This movie is a "must see!"
Old Nov 26, 2003, 03:02 PM   #14
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Going on a limb here, but I am thinking all these people posting on this thread...are the same person. I know, call me crazy...
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Logan's Run (1976, 2007) [original and upcoming re-adaptation]