Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Logan's Run (1976, 2007) [original and upcoming re-adaptation]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Logan's Run (1976, 2007) [original and upcoming re-adaptation]

Welcome to the 23rd Century. The perfect world of total pleasure. ...there's just one catch. | original guide

Old Jul 22, 2000, 07:10 PM   #1
Matt Krogmeier
n/a flights since
Question Re: Is this related to Brave New World?

While watching the film with my girlfriend, she commented that it reminded her of the book "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley... having never read the book, I have no basis for comparison. Are any of you familiar with both of these works? Are they similar?

BTW, this is one of my favoritie films of all time... wonderfully complex for an early 1970's film, depsite the apparent hokey-ness of the costuming and special effects today!
Old Mar 10, 2001, 01:01 PM   #2
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Re: Is this related to Brave New World?

I agree, I read the book for a college english class. I commented that the book has the same type of theme as Logans run."A brave New World" is a world made up of genetically made people, of different hiarcy. The population is controlled like Logans Run. I suggest reading the book, it is a great book to read. I recommend it.
Old Mar 21, 2001, 06:45 PM   #3
lennie
Recruit Pilot
12 flights since Feb 2001
Thumbs down reply to" Logan's Run" regarding "A Brave New World

I have also read a "Brave New World", though it quite some time ago, but if I remember correctly it had very little in common with "Logan's Run". The only thing it would have in common is that people in both the book and the movie were created in a test tube. "THX 1138" would have much more in common with "A Brave New World" than "Logan's Run. A movie that at best is second rate in the world of Science Fiction.
lennie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2002, 01:54 PM   #4
Ender
Wing Commander
305 flights since Apr 2002
cant compare

brave new world strives for ultimate eficiency while logans run is one of ultimate plesure. both societies pay a dear price.
Ender is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2002, 10:01 AM   #5
arkansasgirl
Recruit Pilot
8 flights since Jun 2002
Is there a forum for Brave New World?

I watched a BNW TV movie around 97-98. I'm currently reading the book and would like to discuss it with someone or a group. I'm reading it for class, but my professor talks about EVERYTHING, but the book.

There's a correlation between Logan's Run and BNW in that the Alpha Pluses were the highest order and everyone lower served them so that the Alphas would have a most pleasurable existance. The Alphas were concerned with their own needs and pleasures. There weren't old people in either forms. I hadn't watched Logan's Run in years. I loved it, though.

Arkansas Girl
arkansasgirl is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2002, 03:00 AM   #6
Ender
Wing Commander
305 flights since Apr 2002
Re: Is there a forum for Brave New World?

Quote:
Originally posted by arkansasgirl

There's a correlation between Logan's Run and BNW in that the Alpha Pluses were the highest order and everyone lower served them so that the Alphas would have a most pleasurable existance. The Alphas were concerned with their own needs and pleasures. There weren't old people in either forms. I hadn't watched Logan's Run in years. I loved it, though.

i'm sorry, but as i recall, in BNW, the alphas had the most responsibility also. dont forget, they were all tailered to perform certain tasks, alphas included. they worked at thier own jobs; not menial, but jobs nontheless. they were to the deltas like a CPU is to the plastic case.
Ender is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2002, 05:33 PM   #7
arkansasgirl
Recruit Pilot
8 flights since Jun 2002
Exclamation You're correct

You're correct, of course.

Good analogy, too.

Arkansas Girl
arkansasgirl is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 06:10 AM   #8
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Re: Is this related to Brave New World?

disgaree, the movie is the height of campness.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 10:29 PM   #9
Unregistered
n/a flights since
As Far as I know

Ive read the book, my boyfriend has seen the movie, and we have concluded that it is based on the book. I was talking about certain events and he was finishing my sentances.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Logan's Run (1976, 2007) [original and upcoming re-adaptation]