Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Off-World Discussion Forum

Forum for science fiction related material not listed in Movies Galleria or Upcoming Movies ONLY. If you want to chit-chat, please visit the Pilot's Mess.

Old Feb 12, 2010, 08:12 PM   #1
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002
Misfits - British superhero show.

I enjoy the hell out of Channel 4's Misfits.

Pitched as a cross between Skins and Heroes, it's about a bunch of young offenders and their probation worker get caught up in a storm and start developing superpowers afterwards that turn out to suck. Funny at times, extremely dark, and a very gleefully British take on the whole idea.

They're all spectacularly obnoxious, but engagingly and convincingly so, and in a variety of different ways. Makes for a fun new spin on the whole superhero idea. They're on probation, for a start, so they're already criminals; criminals with superpowers. Best character of the lot being Nathan, who spends most of the first season - six episodes, in common with most British season lengths - wondering what his power is and being an outstanding a*shole to everybody and still being brilliant.

It's refreshingly self-assured, it's got a nice mixture of razor-sharp humour and a pitch black sense of menace running right through it. Makes great use of some very grim locations and it's pleasingly confident in it's premise and it's characters.

You can either watch it on E4's online player, or download some decent quality ones here. The DVD is dirt cheap, but probably has a load of music changes; the last episode had, hands down, my favourite use of Lady Gaga ever, and a scene where somebody saves the day in part thanks to Smack My ***** Up, so it would be a shame to lose out. I'm sure it's out there on torrents too, but the point is - it's well worth seeking out.

The six episodes weave together beautifully and the last episode was a sweetly note-perfect end to the season. Treat yourself to it one way or the other - you'll laugh, you'll fret, you'll cheer. Cracking stuff and I cannot recommend it enough.

Trailer here.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum