Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies > Battle Angel (2009)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Old Aug 6, 2007, 09:43 AM   #1
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Looks like Avatar is definately Cameron's only upcoming project.

Here's some casting news:
Quote:
Rodriguez, Lang Join Avatar

Michelle Rodriguez (Lost) and Stephen Lang have joined the cast of James Cameron's 3-D SF epic Avatar, Variety reported. They join Australian actor Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, Wes Studi and C.C.H. Pounder in the performance-capture movie, which is in production in Los Angeles.

In October, the company will move to Wellington, New Zealand, close to Peter Jackson's Weta Digital, which is supervising the film's visual effects.

Lang plays a seasoned Marine Corps colonel who travels to the faraway planet Pandora to take charge of its troops. Rodriguez plays an ex-Marine pilot.

Avatar is a $190 million hybrid of live action and animation. Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment team has researched a mix of live-action cinematography and virtual photorealistic production techniques that will feature virtual characters. Thirty-one days of live-action photography will begin on Weta soundstages in October.

Avatar, which will be filmed in a new digital 3-D format, is slated to debut on May 22, 2009.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 04:53 PM   #2
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
Re: Avatar - News

All star cast, if you count Sig Weaver and Rodriguez. I feel like I may have seen a trailer for this movie.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:39 AM   #3
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

I also read somewhere that Michael Bien was cast as well.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 08:51 AM   #4
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Some general James Cameron info:
Quote:
Quint: Speaking of being in a ridiculous situation, aren’t you working with James Cameron now?

Joel Moore: [Laughingly] That is a ridiculous situation, ridiculous in the fact that I could never ever dream that I would be working with the biggest director…

Quint: I got to meet Cameron at the Santa Barbara Film Festival a couple of years ago and that was just the coolest thing ever. I got to sit down and just talk and I totally just geeked out about ALIENS and I probably freaked him out, because there was a point were he was like “Well you know I’ve directed other movies besides ALIENS” and I was like “Dude, I have TERMINATOR posters and stuff, too. I love all of your movies, TRUE LIES… that’s great, but ALIENS is the tip of the top for me, so…

Joel Moore: (laughs) And I’m sure ALIENS is probably the one that he feels less… he created TERMINATOR… he created THE ABYSS… he created, like you said, TRUE LIES and all of these and the whole franchise of TERMINATOR is because of him. ALIENS is actually a sequel that he wrote to a movie that he really liked which shows how creative and passionate he is, but it’s probably the one that he has the least control over, I guess. In conversation with him, he loves the movie and it’s a big part of his success was making that and because I’m working with Sigourney Weaver as well, they have some stories about that and…

Quint: That’d blow my mind man, that’s so cool.

Joel Moore: Yeah, I’m her right hand man in the movie, but yeah they talk about how… they give great stories about how they were on set together and the **** that happened and the fact that this was a sequel and Sigourney didn’t even know that there was going to be a sequel to ALIEN. She had no clue and Jim wrote this great treatment or script for it and ended up making it and then it sort of turned into a franchise because of him writing the sequel, which I thought was pretty cool. I think he had already done TERMINATOR by the time he went and directed…

Quint: Yeah, I think he got the gig for ALIENS when he was wrapping up TERMINATOR, if I know my nerd history.

Joel Moore: You’re very right, but Sigourney… it’s such an honor to be in the position that I am in and coming from all of these comedies and movies that people don’t necessarily take seriously, which is fine because they are still entertaining, it’s such a blessing to be a part of something that is so big. It’s literally going to change the history of filmmaking, this movie. It’s crazy and the stuff that we are doing on set and the technology that is involved and the way that Jim’s concept of making this movie is A) completely different than any other movie that I’ve done or anybody has done, just because of the technology involved and B) the story that he is telling and the vision that he has created for it is captivating and not just because it’s 3D or because we are using this whole different motion capture type of thing, it’s because… I read the script when we were meeting at first and they locked me in a room and made me sign my life away and said “We will start with your pinkies if you say anything,” but I literally was, and I knew that outside of his history and outside of TITANIC, there was a bunch of Sci-Fi stuff that he had done and that’s awesome, because I’m a fan and I had loved those movies, but I thought “OK cool, another huge 200 million dollar Sci-Fi movie… this is awesome and a great thing to be a part of,” but it’s actually this beautiful love story and it’s very politically relevant and it’s almost a coming of age for humanity story. It’s just so developed at all of these different levels and I literally teared up a couple of times just reading the script. It was such a great script. I was so surprised, not that he couldn’t make anything like this, but surprised that it was this. I didn’t think it was this kind of a movie. I thought Sci-Fi from the way that when I had met on the film originally on the phone that they had explained it and I’m sure everybody in the world right now thinks that it’s Sci-Fi, but it’s so much more than that.

Quint: Everybody assumes in Cameron’s Sci-Fi that there’s going to be good action, but at the same time you look at what he did in ALIENS and THE ABYSS, especially THE ABYSS. THE ABYSS is such a character movie all about relationships and all about the emotion.

Joel Moore: This does have a little bit of that in it, if you were to liken it to anything else that he has done. It’s just on such a bigger level, because you’ve got these crazy LORD OF THE RINGS size action sequences in it and it’s that kind of a movie as well. To be able to put all of that together in one movie is ****ing hard and that’s what I think was so impressive to me personally, because I read a lot of scripts and you never see people successfully put all of these things together, you kind of have to pick and choose. If you’re a big budget movie and you are wanting to be a love story, you be a love story. If you want it to be an action movie, you be TRANSFOMERS, you know? You can still have a love story, but it’s just… it’s really cool that all of it happens in the same movie. I’m sorry. I know that I’m being very vague, but…

Quint: No, I understand. I don’t want you to lose your pinkies.

Joel Moore: Exactly, but working alongside Sigourney is such a crazy honor and she couldn’t be nicer and Jim couldn’t be a better director. In as much as directing and filmmaking goes, I honestly can’t imagine ever working with a better director. He doesn’t take lunches. He’s editing on his lunch breaks. He is the hardest working person on set. When other people are on a tiny little break and the people are kind of… like if there’s a computer crash or a whatever is going on, there is people just waiting around to see what’s going to happen next and he’s up and going, sketching a new sketch, creating a new part of the land that we are on and just doing whatever there is to be done; he can’t sit down. They literally have to bring lunch in to him and put it in front of him so that for whatever he is doing he can just walk around and eat a sandwich as he’s going.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 06:34 PM   #5
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Sith, you definitely need to move this thread, simply because Battle Angel and Avatar are two different projects by Cameron. Its confirmed, as you point out in your other thread!

Release Date: December 18, 2009
Studio: 20th Century Fox
Director: James Cameron
Screenwriter: James Cameron
Starring: Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, Michelle Rodriguez, Giovanni Ribisi, Joel David Moore, CCH Pounder, Peter Mensah, Laz Alonso, Wes Studi, Stephen Lang, Matt Gerald
Plot Summary: "Avatar" tells the story of an ex-Marine, thrust unwillingly into an effort to settle and exploit an exotic planet rich in bio-diversity, who eventually crosses over to lead the indigenous race in a battle for survival.

here
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 02:29 PM   #6
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

You get whathisname here to create an Avatar thread and I'll move it. Geesh, this place needs cleaning up!

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies > Battle Angel (2009)