Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Upcoming Movies

Scoops, news, gossip and rumors abound...

Old Mar 7, 2010, 06:18 PM   #46
Sharky
Cluster Admiral
1,670 flights since Nov 2001
Re: Avatar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_not_Sci-Fi
And holy ****- I didn't realize that 101 Dalmations was such a big ****ing deal. I mean good LOOOORD that's a lot of money.
With that kind of money one could buy......

*raises little finger to mouth a la Dr Evil*

....a Dalmation Plantation.....
Sharky is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 05:14 AM   #47
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWiredSith
Doesn't take a genius to see where this is going.
You mean a continuing proliferation of 3D films until either everyone is sick of them again or home theater 3D set-ups become commercially viable and the studios are forced to re-vamp some other absurd mid-20th century gimmick like "Percepto!" or "Smell-O-Vision" in order to differentiate their primary product from home video?
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 06:58 AM   #48
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Quote:
You mean a continuing proliferation of 3D films until either everyone is sick of them again or home theater 3D set-ups become commercially viable and the studios are forced to re-vamp some other absurd mid-20th century gimmick like "Percepto!" or "Smell-O-Vision" in order to differentiate their primary product from home video?

Imagine Seth Rogan's next movie - Stone-O-Vision, like smell-o-vision only better! I haven't fired up in nearly two decades but I admit, I would go see it.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 03:20 PM   #49
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

"Stone-O-Vision"? In that you have to be stoned to find the thing even remotely funny? Weren't several of his previous films shot in that?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:23 PM   #50
Sharky
Cluster Admiral
1,670 flights since Nov 2001

Quote:
"Stone-O-Vision"? In that you have to be stoned to find the thing even remotely funny? Weren't several of his previous films shot in that?

'Post of the Year' contender right there

Avatar has surpassed Return of the Jedi and moved into 14th in the all-time adjusted list. Next up, Ben-Hur.....
Sharky is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 03:05 AM   #51
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWiredSith
Common sense would tell us the real and accurate measure of a film's success would be the number of tickets sold.

Cept that whole tiny thing whereby the world's population has doubled in the last 50 years alone (making box office numbers incomparable unless you weight it).
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 09:49 AM   #52
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Actually, it isn't so much the doubling of the world population that's the major factor here but Holywood's ascendant global cultural hegemony and the erosion of the cinema's niche in the "developed" entertainment market.

There are lots of places where every Hollywood blockbuster just wasn't immediately available 50 years ago. And we also shouldn't overestimate population as a factor simply because 50 years ago, the cinema was still what you did on a Friday night. It was the best and only way to see a moving picture for most people who even had access to them. These days, it's a secondary entertainment at best. Except in some of those aforementioned new markets.

The population hypothesis is undermined by the waning of the popularity (and the erosion of the market niche) of the cinema in the imperial metropolis (where a disproportionately high percentage of Hollywood's tickets are still sold), and it is further undermined by the fact that most of the population growth has happened in places where American films were not widely available 50 years ago.

So you can't just say "the population has doubled, so film ticket sales ought to have doubled and the numbers are incomparable." Not as simple as that. If the numbers are incomparable, it's because of a more complex set of factors. And more importantly, who gives a flying ****? Last time I checked, The Big Lewbowski didn't make much money in the theaters at all. And yet it remains one of the best things ever.

Last edited by SF_not_Sci-Fi : Mar 15, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:43 PM   #53
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002

Ok so here's a small question. Firstly as I've said before in this thread I'm actually quite a fan of Avatar, I'm well aware of its shortcomings and the baggy nature of the whole thing, but I do happen to feel that it does what it does very well. Anyway, this isn't meant to be a re-hash of whether the film is any good or not.

My question is this, does Jim Cameron still need Gale Ann Hurd? I personally think so, or at least someone like her to do that job. Now I don't mean as a wife of course, purely as a producer. Is it a surprise that all his best films, the tightest, most coherent, most loved were all produced by her. From all accounts she was very good at being the bad guy and reining in Cameron when needed. The infamous 2nd reel cut for Aliens, takes out the entire colony pre-infestation sequence, beloved by fans all over, including myself, but at the time, from a monetary heads first not heart first perspective, a great cut and the right call.

I suppose all I'm getting at is something that's probably been said before on these forums, is Cameron now his own worst enemy? That with all the fame and notoriety is he just surrounded by too many yes men? Is no-one willing to do what Gale Ann Hurd did and keep Cameron in check, keep the picture on time, on budget, and tight? Essentially do the work a good Producer is supposed to do? Or has Cameron simply just gone a bit hippy in his old age? Spent too much time doing documentaries? I guess we'll see next year with Battle Angel.

Personally, I think Hurd should still be involved, get her dressed in one of those 80's power suits again and give Cameron a slap. Obviously I'm a very big fan of his, but even he needs to be told how things should be done occasionally.

But then again... what do I know?
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 05:55 PM   #54
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

~sigh~ SF and his damned logic.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 07:50 AM   #55
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

So my kid brought home Avatar on Blu-Ray DVD and being too lazy to get up and NOT watch this film I saw it for the second time.

Wow - take away the 3D wow-ness and you've really got nothing left but Dances with Smurfs minus all the decently written dialogue. Didn't notice the first go around, but why did the guys who ran the forest raping machines have to wear coat vests and trucker hats? Did they really need to import stereotypical truckers all the way across the galaxy to remote control these machines? Hell, with all this technology, why did the machines even need human controllers? Am I asking too many questions? I think I am.

This was a terrible, terrible movie packaged in a lot of shinies and pretties. You can serve a turd on the finest china but it's still a turd.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 08:04 PM   #56
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

I too watched it without the majesty of 3D two nights ago but I still liked it. The bulldozer operators honestly made me laugh sitting in that ultra futuristic control center with the trucker hats, I have expected to see a bottle of Southern Comfort laying nearby and a package of sunflower seeds.

Dances with Fern gully it may be, but it was still pretty to look at and still didn't seem like 3 hours of sitting on the couch.

I'm wondering if the new 3D TV's would bring some of the awesomeness back to the picture. I'm no where near rich enough to even dream of buying one yet.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies