Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Andromeda Strain, The (1971)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Andromeda Strain, The (1971)

Rated G... But may be too intense for younger children. | guide

View Poll Results: Do you think that what happened in this film, can happen in real life?
Yes 4 80.00%
No 1 20.00%
Not Sure 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 10, 2003, 11:42 PM   #1
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001
An actual possibility?

I would like to know what you all think...

do you all believe it possible that this could happen?

A space rock falling to earth and wiping out a town?

Now the wiping out of town, maybe not, but infecting people with a deadly disease. I think that is possible.

Do you?
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 12:17 PM   #2
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002
Re: An actual possibility?

For a rock to fall to Earth and wipe out a town either the virus/bacteria would have to be VERY heat resistant (or it would die in the entry into Earth's atmosphere) or the rock would have to be so damn large that the centre parts didn't heat up enough. And in this case the rock would be large enough to wipe out any town it hit with the sheer impact.

It's a good idea for sci-fi, but I couldn't see it happening.

But then neither could they....

Maybe that is what killed the dinosaurs and not the actual physical impact
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 03:49 PM   #3
Phlub
The Head Hunter

I am not sure. Meaning I think it is and isn't possible.

And the possibility of it whiping out the dinosaurs, the rock would have had to have been HUGE.

But the burning in the atmostphere. That is an astute observation making me lean towards unprobability.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 04:12 PM   #4
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor
309 flights since Jan 2001

The rock on which the Andromeda Strain came to Earth was trapped inside a small satellite. It was protected from the heat of entering the Earth's atmosphere by the satellite. The Andromeda Strain was not released until the doctor in small Arizonia town opened the small satellite in his office.
cabalcomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 04:13 PM   #5
Gildamere
Wing Commander
192 flights since Dec 2002

As far as I recall in the novel it was a satellite that was launched to collect possible organisms in the atmosphere of Earth, so it is quite logical that whatever was inside that satellite when it crashed survived. I think Crichton spun his novel around an actual experiment conducted in the 70's (not sure of that though).

basically, yes, I think it could happen
Gildamere is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 11:41 PM   #6
Charlie
Wing Commander
342 flights since Mar 2002

This is a serious topic!!!! And I have to agree it is a possibilty. I wish they would put this on TV again. It deserves more recognition as a film and it is about time for it to re-surface. Brilliantly made--
Charlie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 12:38 AM   #7
Phlub
The Head Hunter

Now I have been swayed to believe that it is a possibility, that it is a possibility.

Gildamere and Cabalcomb made astute points and I thought that it was good enough to change my vote.
Old Aug 3, 2003, 07:29 PM   #8
DieseLove
Recruit Pilot
8 flights since Aug 2003

does it work?
DieseLove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 06:53 AM   #9
mulletman
n/a flights since

I think its possible but highly unlikely, think of all the events that would have to happen for this series events to play out...

it would have to be a virus compatible with our biology (after all it could be one that only works on silicone based life or whatever),
it would have to have enough protection to stop it being burnt up in re-entry,
it would have to survive impact (no good landing in a volcano!),
it would have to land in the right place (i.e. no good landing in the middle of a desert or no one would ever find it)
it would have to be found by the wrong person (i.e. some idiot who would unleash it, willing or otherwise, on the world).

when you consider all of the above, it doesn't seem very likely does it?

A side point here, why can't viruses have beneficial effects? like making you feel good/happy, or curing baldness, it would be a great survival tactic for a virus to beneficial to its host, after all would you want to fight off a virus that caused fitness? (red dwarfers here will be thinking luck virus at this point )
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:30 AM   #10
harshbarj
n/a flights since

I'd be more likely to think of the sexual attraction virus first (the second tube found on the program red dwarf). Now there is a virus I would want to catch (although the luck virus might just have the same effect).

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Andromeda Strain, The (1971)