Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Off-World Discussion Forum

Forum for science fiction related material not listed in Movies Galleria or Upcoming Movies ONLY. If you want to chit-chat, please visit the Pilot's Mess.

Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:30 AM   #1
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Fringe

Any Fringe addicts here yet?

I've given this show a lot of chances, almost gave up, but I think it's slowly starting to hook me. If you've not seen it - it's basically a hybrid of CSI and The X-Files. The opening titles are even a blatant rip from The X-Files.

One thing - they've started to build mythology from episode one which, if you haven't noticed (LOST, Heroes, Chuck, The Sarah Connor Chronicles) is the IN thing to do these days. And yet, every episode I've seen is a "monster of the week" episode with the long term plot lines tossed in here and there.

And I'm not sure I like John Noble. He plays the now standard old-guy, medical expert and, frankly, he's a little too creepy.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 01:45 AM   #2
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001
Re: Fringe

Tried it once, didnt hook me either. Gave up. figured lost was enough for me right now.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 07:31 AM   #3
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

Every episode I've seen was pretty terrible. And I'm an idiot, any old crap will keep me watching, but Lord...
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:22 AM   #4
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Am I the only one really enjoying it? It's The X Files on crack ... though that might be why people aren't liking it much, the crack bit It moves too quickly, there are glaring plot holes and it's gloriously silly at times ... but I find myself really liking it. Especially the silliness of it.

I also quite like John Noble and his character, creepy though he can be. He's strangely endearing. Am on Episode 5 now, and going strong, no signs of boredom yet.

X Files also started its mythology in episode one, don't forget, I don't think it's really that new a new fad.
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 12:39 PM   #5
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002

Never even heard of it let alone seen it, from the sounds of this it's very 50/50 as to whether I should bother.
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 01:14 PM   #6
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendiferous
Am I the only one really enjoying it? It's The X Files on crack ... though that might be why people aren't liking it much, the crack bit It moves too quickly, there are glaring plot holes and it's gloriously silly at times ... but I find myself really liking it. Especially the silliness of it.

I also quite like John Noble and his character, creepy though he can be. He's strangely endearing. Am on Episode 5 now, and going strong, no signs of boredom yet.

X Files also started its mythology in episode one, don't forget, I don't think it's really that new a new fad.

Let me clarify about the mythology - I agree that The X-Files mythology can be traced to the pilot episode and a number of season one entries but I think Chris Carter and company had no clue what that mythology was or ever what it would become when they started out. I get the clear sense that Fringe knows exactly what the big story is, just as they do in the aforementioned shows, and are meticulously teasing us with it. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, but being meticulously teased can get frustrating and annoying, especially when you get addicted [see LOST thread in pilots mess for visual aide].
Old Feb 12, 2009, 08:43 PM   #7
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Yeah, fair enough, I see what you mean now. I'm enjoying the teasing, possibly because I've got more of a sense that it's leading somewhere than I did with Lost, which I completely lost interest in halfway through season 2 when I realised that although things had been happening, not a tiny thing had been explained or even explicitly hinted at, and it was starting to get on my nerves. Here's hoping Fringe doesn't follow the same direction.
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:47 PM   #8
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

sith - first off, merge your threads man!

secondly. i was all on board for this when they started playing games and waiting like months to release another episode. that odd scheduling irritated me. plus, the show wasnt moving along convincingly enough in an "ummbrella" plot sort of way. somewhere in there they seem to have lost their way, and it became a basic episodic crime thriller with a sci-fi twist. i havent made it past "The Cure" episode where the girl has the exploding radioactive body. Nor does it bother me.

when they start seriously looking into "the pattern" and following the conspiracy theory instead of staying sidetracked on mere cases.....well then I might pop back in with some popcorn.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 08:39 AM   #9
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Admit - it took a while for Fringe to grow on me. Yes, it was a little too much like The X-Files - John Noble was just a tad too creepy, the hinted-at mythology was interesting but not enough to keep my intensely interested early on.

I think last night's season finale did it for me - this show is clever on a level that I don't think X-Files ever achieved and could yet be J.J. Abrams best work. The finale had not one but two major plot twists yet it was hardly over the top like so many other shows (LOST, Heroes, etc.). This willingness to completely disassemble entire season's worth of story lines in order to constantly bring something new to the table - I guess this is Abrams style and he's got not one but two genuine TV hits on two different networks (whilst Joss Whedon is about to witness yet another series suffer premature cancellation on the same network), not to mention a huge hit in theaters right now.

I guess for the moment, Abrams is the man, and Fringe is shaping up to be a great series.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 06:31 AM   #10
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies
1,104 flights since Jun 2004

I actually really like this show. The old guy trips me out.
Demosthemighty is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum