Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ]

From "12 Monkeys" to "Explorers"...

Old Apr 27, 2004, 09:25 AM   #1
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002
Cowboy Bebop (the movie)

Now I haven't seen the series (yet) but I still found this to be a superb movie.
From the opening sequence reminiscent of a Dirty Harry movie, to the amusing opening credits, and right through to the explosive finale, this film had me gripped.

It follows the tale of a bounty hunter and his companions in the future. The world isn't vastly different to look at from today which helps place the action in a recognisable frame (i.e. we know immediately what should and should not be possible).

I found that not having seen any of the series on tv has both its advantages and disadvantages - you have no preconceptions of the characters (good) but you also don't know some of the back story and miss out on some of the references (bad).

The music is top notch, the picture quality great and even the English language dubbing isn't all that bad.

The DVD extras are reasonable - and in one the Director admits that there are some scenes that he wasn't too happy with. I can guess which ones they might be but they hardly detract from a great piece of entertainment with possibly the coolest manga hero of them all... Spike, Speigel.

Some of the reviews criticise the film compared to the series - which only leaves me wanting to watch the series even more.

Not as good as the classics like "Ghost in the Shell", "Wings of Honneamise" or "Akira" but good fun - and probably the best anime tv-series-to-film I've seen.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 01:57 AM   #2
BalrogTim
X
1,044 flights since Mar 2002
Re: Cowboy Bebop (the movie)

Cowboy Bebop is one of the greatest series I have ever seen (falling only behind Evangelion). Everything about it is excellent, especially the music. The Seatbelts and Yoko Kanno put forth the best musical score in any anime, and most real movies.

The movie I saw in theaters (the few that showed it) and it was awesome.
BalrogTim is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 01:33 PM   #3
Cucumber Posse
Wing Commander
408 flights since Feb 2002

The movie is great...

It is, however, only really just another episode in the series...

If you do follow the series carefully, the movie falls somewhere between the 20th and 21st episodes...

(I may be wrong)

Now, another thing, the music is MAGITASTICAL!!!

I mean, friggin' cream dream!!!

The SEATBELTS are a great band and are dedicated enough to the life of the series that they even pretend to be from like 2076 and act full-on as if they were from somewhere around about the happenings of the series...

Yoko Kano (the composer) is RIDICULOUS...

I would like to invite everyone to check these guys out...I mean seriously...

The Poss
Cucumber Posse is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 07:22 PM   #4
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

yet to see the film, but I love the series. I bought the 1st Session DVD from when I went on holiday to America. I wish they would release them over here in the UK, I really want to see more.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 02:44 PM   #5
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

The movie is outstanding. I got it for my birthday this year. its does make me wish i had more money to buy the full series.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 09:44 PM   #6
broken tusk
Wing Commander
461 flights since Jul 2003

I've see an episode or two and have past on the movie many times a the retail place. Maybe I'll give it a shot tomarrow night, if it's as good as you all say it is.
broken tusk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 02:42 AM   #7
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

Its definetly worth a rent.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:39 PM   #8
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall
782 flights since Oct 2002

This was one of the first DVDs I ever bought! And like some here, I had only seen a couple of eopisodes before watching the movie. So while I knew the names of the characters, I had no background story on them. But thankfully, the movie in itself is wonderfeull with or without the series' backing.

I have the series now. The really hit it on they mark when they said that it has created an entirely new genre of Anime. It certainly is one of the best I have ever seen.
Kieraganion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 04:18 PM   #9
broken tusk
Wing Commander
461 flights since Jul 2003

I watched it finaly the movie was good but I have seen alot better. But I will say it was worth it to rent. I liked the begeining the most were the guy is holding the old lady hostage and the bounty hunter is like so kill her I ain't a cop.
broken tusk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 07:05 PM   #10
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall
782 flights since Oct 2002

Tusk, you're right. The movie could have been better, I honestly think they should have waited untill the end of the series. Made it a closing.

But then again, it could have been a whole lot worst.

Last edited by Kieraganion : Jul 15, 2006 at 12:22 PM.
Kieraganion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 08:41 PM   #11
scifi_lover
Trust No One
1,049 flights since Jan 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by BalrogTim
Cowboy Bebop is one of the greatest series I have ever seen (falling only behind Evangelion). Everything about it is excellent, especially the music. The Seatbelts and Yoko Kanno put forth the best musical score in any anime, and most real movies.

The movie I saw in theaters (the few that showed it) and it was awesome.

I agree. I have the movie and most of the box set, but I've seen it all. I also have the soundtrack, one of the best anime sound tracks I've heard to date.

I really enjoy the character of Edward, she's awesome

My flatmate and I imitate her all the time
scifi_lover is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:19 PM   #12
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies
1,103 flights since Jun 2004

I've only seen the movie once, damned good though. That guy was creepy with his not being able to dieness.

But the last episode of the series beats anything the movie or any other episode ever put out. "Bang". awesome.
Demosthemighty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 07:21 PM   #13
soviet-terran
Pilot
43 flights since Dec 2004

I liked both the series and movie. some of the best anime ever made in my opinion.
soviet-terran is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:05 PM   #14
Clay
Starfighter
149 flights since Mar 2004

Just watched the movie and really enjoyed it. Hope to see more anime films like this one.
Clay is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:46 PM   #15
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Saw it a while ago. My general impression was that they basically stretched a single episode's worth of plot over the length of about three or four. The animation was astounding, but I was somewhat disappointed with the movie.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ]