Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old Sep 4, 2004, 05:20 PM   #46
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002
Re: Book Tab

I am currently reading my newly purchased copy of Bernard Cornwell's Harlequin, the first in his Grail Quest series. So far, it's not as good as the Warlord Chronicles, but it's still good. Full review once I finish, though it'll probably be at Sciflicks Beta.
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 06:10 PM   #47
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

I assume you mean because once you finished reading it, this site will be gone... yes?

Anyway, I'm currently reading "JG 26- Top Guns of the Luftwaffe", a history of the Luftwaffe's most successfull, famous and feared fighter group of WWII. Trully some amazing personnal accounts from "the other side".

Last edited by Iwata : Sep 4, 2004 at 06:16 PM.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 07:41 PM   #48
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Quote:
Originally posted by Iwata
[b]I assume you mean because once you finished reading it, this site will be gone... yes?

Yup - well, I may finish it before, but I'll be in Jordan, with no internet access, and I'll miss Sciflicks Alpha's D-Day.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 07:55 PM   #49
Unregistered
n/a flights since

I wonder, by alpha d-day, do you mean alpha is the germans, the french, or the USA-ers?
Old Sep 7, 2004, 07:55 PM   #50
Tess-Smash.
n/a flights since

Christ, that was me.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 07:56 PM   #51
Tess, the blood, and the holy ghost walk into a ba
n/a flights since
Talking Re: Book Tab

I cannot EDIT!!!! god...

Old Sep 7, 2004, 08:05 PM   #52
Quintessa
Sector Marshall
875 flights since Jul 2004

Tess, the father, and the holy ghost walk into a bar...

At least that is how it is suposed to be.

I think I am a teapot, but I don't have a handle (harhe) on my views.
Quintessa is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2004, 04:35 AM   #53
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Quote:
Originally posted by Splendiferous
I am currently reading my newly purchased copy of Bernard Cornwell's Harlequin, the first in his Grail Quest series. So far, it's not as good as the Warlord Chronicles, but it's still good. Full review once I finish, though it'll probably be at Sciflicks Beta.

Well, Alpha is still here ... so ...

Harlequin. It's annoying. I want to finish the story! What happens?! I can't wait to get the next installment! Gaaah!

Thomas is an archer, a longbowman for the English, who are currently (in the book, obviously) fighting the French in Brittany and Normandy. This is just before the Hundred Years War, and the longbow is proving to be England's superb weapon, better even than the cannon, which seems to have just been invented. Well, discovered by the English, at least. You can tell I'm not good at history, eh?

Story? Well, Thomas of Hookton is supposed to be on a mission to retrieve both the Lance of St George and the Holy Grail from a noble French family, who stole them both and will use them to destroy the church, because they're the remnants of the Cathars and don't like the church. This is what I gathered in between all the battle scenes and (thankfully sparse) romance. If you like historical fiction, I reccomend this. He's an excellent author anyway.

Until I borrow the next one, I'm currently feeding my Bernard Cornwell addiction by reading RedCoat, about the American Revolution. It's nice, portrays both sides and the mixed loyalties therin.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 06:43 AM   #54
merlin
n/a flights since

Quintessa is there a reason to your flooding every thread with meaningless sh!t?

Last book i read was Ster Trek The Return by William Shatner i enjoyed it and got the sequel Avenger.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 12:13 AM   #55
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris (Ace 2004) 10/10
--yet another hilarious and compromising adventure for telepathic blonde barmaid Sookie Stackhouse.

Heat Stroke by Rachel Caine (ROC 2004) 10/10
---after Joanne smashed Delilah, she upgraded to Mona, a new Viper with a V10 engine (she of course only drive at 100+ mph ).

interesting fact: I just read that Rachel Caine contributed to an anthology of Buffy.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 09:10 AM   #56
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

Still reading "Galapagos" by Kurt Vonnegut.
An... interesting... book.

The story is told by a ghost in the year 1,000,000 A.D. (give or take)
The ghost died in the late 20th Century, building a large boat that was to take people on a cruise to the Galapagos islands.
The story is quite simple but is told in a way that I have never read before - and it is difficult to explain.
The actually story is of the events of a few days that would eventually lead to humanity surviving to the year 1,000,000 A.D. - albeit in a much different form and only around the Galapagos islands, and all descending from quite a small group of people.

It's a good book - just quite odd.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 09:25 AM   #57
Jill - Resident Buffy Nerd.
n/a flights since

Yup, though under her own name, Roxanne Longstreet Conrad. She contends that Xander is actually the axis of the series, rather than Buffy. I'm told it's a rather excellent essay, but I haven't gotten hold of that particular anthology. The best is widely considered to be Dusted, but that's hard to get hold of in Europe, for some bizarre reason...

Last book I read was the monumental From Hell, which swallowed up two weeks of my life and left me with a fearful mistrust of all architects, and an unwitting tendency to slip into Victorian slang. Alan Moore is the guy who wrote Watchmen and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. He's also the guy who famously distances himself from any adaptation of his work because they have an alarming tendency to suck. Anyway - From Hell basically novelises Stephen Knights theory that Jack the Ripper was a Freemasonic assassin operating with royal approval. Very intense, and though it takes a while to get into it, thoroughly immersive. I've never read a book where the notes at the end were so necessary. I fully recommend it to anybody with even a passing interest in Jack The Ripper or the graphic novel as a medium.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 12:42 PM   #58
Quintessa
Sector Marshall
875 flights since Jul 2004

That's weird, because the book I'm currently reading is Portrait of a Killer by Patricia Cornwell.

It's also about Jack the Ripper, but this has a VERY different explination of who commited the Ripper crimes. It's very well written, and it includes numerous fact plus pictures. According to Cornwell, most of the Ripper letters were legitamate and the murders were comitted by artist Walter Sickert. I'm about half way through and I'm really into the story. Cornwell says the reasons Sickert murdered the women was because of his HATE for women. I mean this is Victorian hate for women. That and a disfigurement of the... um... male parts. It's really interesting.
Quintessa is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 01:02 PM   #59
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

Great book. It's not what the titles suggests (though I've seen that you indeed get the lowdown on how to build WMD's), it's rather a study on the threat and availibilty of WMD's in the world today.

Superb book, and an extremelly valuabel source for this topic.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 02:29 PM   #60
Diz
Starfighter
143 flights since Oct 2004

Just read 'Going Postal' by Terry Pratchett, twas excellent as usual.
All about getting the Discworld's decripit postal system up and running again. Was hugely amusing.
The lastr book before that was 'Song of Susanna' By Stepthen King in the Dark Tower series. The next book I shall be reading is 'The Dark tower' by Stephen King, the last in this most spendid series.
Also been browsing through the 'Colonial Marines technical Manual'. But then, I'm always doing that.
Diz is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room