Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:15 AM   #1
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
What Are You Reading Now?

Personally, been a bookworm since I was old enough to hold a comic book in my hand (even before I could read I would make up the stories that went along with the illustrations) and with very, very few exceptions I have always been reading at least one book, sometimes several.

I am currently working on the fifith novel of Robert Jordon's epic (and hefty) fantasy series The Wheel of Time. Though the exposition of The Fires of Heaven is starting to show telltale signs of the author intentionally slowing the action and sequence of events, no doubt in order to extend the bulk of the already bulky series, the writing is still top notch and the characters, now approaching a literal cast of thousands, are interesting enough to keep me reading. I am nowhere near the end (the series currently stands at 11 books with more promised from the author should his rare blood disease not claim him first).

My "up next" book is John M. Ford's classic Trek novel The Final Reflection. John Ford died three weeks ago and this novel was mentioned heavily in his writing legacy and often claimed to be one of a select group of quintessential Star Trek novels (no doubt an elite group since the number of Trek novels written since the mid 70's numbers over or very near to the 1000 mark). I read the first chapter was immediately drawn into one of the most in-depth and revealing glimpses into the Klingon culture I've come across. Outstanding writing as well. I decided to put it aside and complete The Fires of Heaven (hey, only 459 pages to go!) first lest I again lose my place in the Jordon series and have to back track when I again jump back in.

So, that said, what are you currently reading?

Last edited by HighWiredSith : Feb 26, 2008 at 05:29 PM.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 05:55 PM   #2
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002
Re: What Are You Reading Now?

Is this like a SF version of the Book Tab thread in the Mess?

I'm reading a book by someone called Philip Kerr, some rubbish about a blood disease and transfusions and stuff, set in the future where blood is the most precious commodoty. it hasn't grabbed me, so I'll probably ditch it and start something else.
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 06:41 PM   #3
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005

I'm reading Armor, by John Steakly, Realistic Visionary (a bio of George Washington), a bio of Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow, The Golden Bough by James Frazer, and From Ritual to Romance by Jessie Laidlay Weston. I'm also finishing up a collection of Robert E. Howard's Conan stories, The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian.

I know that's an odd collection. I have different moods and times and places for each. I would like to finish them all, actually, so I can chill out and focus on a series maybe.

I've always aspired to be a book worm but haven't really become the master reader that I would like to be. I think there is a lot of really great stuff out there to read.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:10 AM   #4
merlin
Sector Marshall
685 flights since Apr 2004

Quote:
I'm reading a book by someone called Philip Kerr, some rubbish about a blood disease and transfusions and stuff, set in the future where blood is the most precious commodoty. it hasn't grabbed me, so I'll probably ditch it and start something else.

I was the same its where hes trying to steal a cure for his Daughter isnt it?

I'm reading Garden of Beasts by Jeffrey Deaver at the moment and I'm really enjoying this WW2 thriller.
merlin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:48 AM   #5
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

I've read that Phillip Kerr book - The Second Angel.

It's okay - ish.
6/10.
Can't really recall much about it - other than he's got to break in to a maze-of-a-security-system on the moon and steal something or other.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 06:45 AM   #6
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Well, I've given up on it, now, I'm re-reading Sophie's World by Jostein Gaardner, or whatever his name is

At work I'm on Sharpe's Revenge. It's not very good so far, but the next one is Sharpe's Waterloo, so I'm looking forward to that one. Then it's back in time to Sharpe's Tiger.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 07:44 PM   #7
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

I've read that Philip Kerr one, Splend it only gets stupider. I was roped in by promises of Apocalypse, and tricked, dammit. Some nifty ideas, but yes, rubbish.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:00 AM   #8
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

George R. Martin -A Game of Thrones

Purchase for 25 cents at the local thrift store, read three chapters - so far dullsville and some really wretched writing. Tossed aside, if anyone wants it, she's yours.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:59 PM   #9
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005

I'm finishing up Armor by John Steakley. I enjoyed it, but I tended to not pay attention during the action scenes. I don't know if that's due to the writing or my inability to put together a picture of events that happen during battle. I've had that problem while reading other books, I just sort of go "Yeah, yeah . . .action, action . . . okay, back to the story."
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 08:37 AM   #10
Sonny
Wing Commander
444 flights since May 2006

The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenent ~ Stephen Donaldson. Beautifully written fantasy epic that I read at least once a year
Sonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 05:50 PM   #11
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

I've just started Plato's Republic. I may very swiftly move back to Sharpe
Old Oct 23, 2006, 08:13 AM   #12
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

Just finished "Impossible Odds" by Dave Duncan - one of his six or so "King's Blades" stories.
Pulp stuff - but good fun.

Just about to start on my very first Eternal Champion book - one from Morcock's sweeping saga of Elric.
I've started reading the 1st volume of the Omnibus editions - seemingly about a "Von Bek", currently set in mid 17th Century Germany. A good start - although I realise there is a loooooong way to go and many varieties of guises that Elric takes across the dimensions etc.

But otherwise I know little of the story etc - so it is all new.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 04:09 PM   #13
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

Just started, Good omens.

I'm ashamed to say, I didn't purchase it earlier... still, better late than never.
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 04:10 PM   #14
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bob
Just started, Good omens.

I'm ashamed to say, I didn't purchase it earlier... still, better late than never.

LOVE that book... Crawley is awesomeness in sorta-person.

Also, on Splend's suggestion, I started reading "The Winter King" last night.

He knows what expects him if he fails...
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 05:36 PM   #15
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

Currently reading the first TPB of Y:The Last Man. It's cool, except I hate every single one of these women. And have no opinion on Yorrick. But other than that, it's all good.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room