Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Andromeda Strain, The (1971)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Andromeda Strain, The (1971)

Rated G... But may be too intense for younger children. | guide

Old Oct 14, 2002, 08:00 PM   #16
DaughterRogue
Wing Commander
214 flights since Sep 2002
Re: Rated 'G'????

It's probaly rated PG-13 now!!!!
DaughterRogue is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 10:48 PM   #17
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor
309 flights since Jan 2001
MPAA Rating: G.

This is the rating still listed for "The Andromeda Strain"; MPAA Rating: G.
cabalcomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2003, 11:39 PM   #18
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001

Cabalcomb I think what she means is, that if it were made today or re-made it would be rated PG-13 at least.
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2003, 11:47 PM   #19
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor

If it were rated by today's standards it would probably be rated PG, not PG-13.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 12:13 AM   #20
Phlub
The Head Hunter

Well what about the nudity?

That certainly merits PG-13.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 04:19 PM   #21
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor

There is almost NO nudity. It is all out or focus of behind screens. PG-13 is awarded more to films with extreme violence, sex and foul language. Brief nudity does not get a PG-13 rating.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 12:43 AM   #22
Phlub
The Head Hunter

Brief nudity barely sqeaks into "R" movies. How can you say that?
Old Jul 3, 2003, 07:03 PM   #23
Omega2064
Wing Commander
279 flights since Jun 2003

I saw this originally in the theater and it was scary as heck because it was so damn serious! The book puts it all forward as if it really happened too, an allmost documantary feel to the novel at times... very sneaky.

The nudity is so tame and offhand I doubt anyone even noticed.
A buttt shot and a back shot just dont quantify as nudity to most.
The boob shot is harder to pin down though. Its been dropped from many versions.

What got me though was when they sit the dead doctors wrist and the powder comes pouring out. THIS is G rated?

But as people have pointed out. This movie came out before ratings hit and its possible the initial showings didnt even have a rating.

Omega2064
Omega2064 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 04:36 PM   #24
Unregistered
n/a flights since

Just like with any regulation, public or private, things start out simply and then become more complicated as do-gooders try and protect the world from itself.

When the MPAA originally came out with ratings, all there was was G, M, R, and X, general, mature, restricted and X (not originally trademarked and was thrown in at the end). Since M was misunderstood as being sterner than R (instead of being between G and R) it was changed to PG (actually GP for a year or so).

But that, of course, isn't good enough for the hair-splitters of the world. As the puritans in our midst spoke out, PG-13 was added for the parents too dim to understand the nature of the movie they were bringing/sending their child to, and as if one more category would make the grey area perfectly factored. Then NC-17 was added so parents couldn't take their children even if they wanted to, it was completely restricted to anyone under 17 (whew!!!).

Now, armed with all these new categories, and endless pressure from the sanitizers, G was only good for cavity producing sweetness of Disney instead of the 1970-ish reasonable standard of as long as truly disturbing content or gratuitous nudity was involved, a G rating was appropriate. But, at the end of the day, to more gradations there are over an arena that is ultimately subjective, leaves it with less meaning instead of more. If the goal was to protect children from strong images then it fails. It is up to the parent to have some idea of the nature of what they are letting their children see, or remain unconcerned. Either way society should have little concern over what a parent does in rearing their child when it comes to what they are allowed to see. Attempts to do so, either through voluntary means have little effect, and if through State Force, decreases over all liberty.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 05:48 AM   #25
Horn Dawg
n/a flights since
Talking Who Was The Topless Woman?

Ok, i know this is totally gratuitous, but she looks like that actress from Romeo & Juliet (70's as well) does anybody know who she sreally is? just curious.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 06:11 PM   #26
Quintessa
Sector Marshall
875 flights since Jul 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Just like with any regulation, public or private, things start out simply and then become more complicated as do-gooders try and protect the world from itself.

When the MPAA originally came out with ratings, all there was was G, M, R, and X, general, mature, restricted and X (not originally trademarked and was thrown in at the end). Since M was misunderstood as being sterner than R (instead of being between G and R) it was changed to PG (actually GP for a year or so).

But that, of course, isn't good enough for the hair-splitters of the world. As the puritans in our midst spoke out, PG-13 was added for the parents too dim to understand the nature of the movie they were bringing/sending their child to, and as if one more category would make the grey area perfectly factored. Then NC-17 was added so parents couldn't take their children even if they wanted to, it was completely restricted to anyone under 17 (whew!!!).

Now, armed with all these new categories, and endless pressure from the sanitizers, G was only good for cavity producing sweetness of Disney instead of the 1970-ish reasonable standard of as long as truly disturbing content or gratuitous nudity was involved, a G rating was appropriate. But, at the end of the day, to more gradations there are over an arena that is ultimately subjective, leaves it with less meaning instead of more. If the goal was to protect children from strong images then it fails. It is up to the parent to have some idea of the nature of what they are letting their children see, or remain unconcerned. Either way society should have little concern over what a parent does in rearing their child when it comes to what they are allowed to see. Attempts to do so, either through voluntary means have little effect, and if through State Force, decreases over all liberty.

Bravo!
Quintessa is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Andromeda Strain, The (1971)