Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > 28 Days Later (2002)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

28 Days Later (2002)

The days are numbered.

Old Jun 1, 2006, 05:46 AM   #1
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003
Spot the Homage

Ok, generally I'm not a zombie fan (but I love 28 Days Later), yet people keep saying "Oh this has been done before", "That's been done before" yadda yadda - even Boyle admits to homaging certain flicks.

Soo....what are the 'homages' in 28 Days Later? What's been done before, where, when, how well?

Is homaging a good thing? Or lacking in imagination?
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 08:25 AM   #2
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002
Re: Spot the Homage

When did we get a 28 Days Later forum??

I like zombie films as a general rule, but I'm not so much a fan that I can spot homages - and I don't remember any particularly standing out in 28 Days Later. Mind you, it's been a while since I saw it, so there are probably plenty.
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:59 AM   #3
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005

Well, there's that movie The Night of the Comet where a few people wake up and everybody is gone, reduced to sand, actually, and pouring out of their shoes in the streets. So the scene at the begining of 28 Days Later where the entire city seems vacant is like The Night of the Comet. That movie also has zombies chasing the humans around, so that's similar.

The only difference, which is an important one, is that they give a plausible scientific reason for people being transformed into zombies.

Last edited by toomuchcoffee : Jun 1, 2006 at 11:22 AM.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 05:14 PM   #4
Seraph

The plausible reason being in 28 right? (Can't see cosmic comet stuff being quite plausable)

There's been a lot of films/tv series where people wake up and everything is gone (I love that for some reason, makes me want to watch the above actually).
Old Jun 6, 2006, 06:43 PM   #5
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

The shopping scene is pure Dawn of the Dead.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 06:57 PM   #6
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

It might be coincidence, given that there's only so many ways to make an apocalyptic drama in Britain, but I did think it owed an awful lot to The Last Train. Shady Government lab, missing time, industrial wastlands, lots of empty roads, and extremely unfriendly locals.

And unpleasant deaths. One of the aggressors gets necked with a broken record. Not in a funny Shaun of the Dead way neither.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0195471/
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 01:52 PM   #7
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph

Is homaging a good thing? Or lacking in imagination?

Not sure I noticed this first time round.

Nothing wrong with a few good homages. Superman Returns is full of them - though they're all homages to the first one, and it's more accurate to say 'bits that might as well have been copied and pasted and had the cheese extracted from them'. I don't think it's so much a lack of imagination as a desire to tip your hat to your peers/idols as a show of respect. Nothing wrong with that, provided your entire film isn't composed completely of homages, nods and winks and not a lot else
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 04:44 PM   #8
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendiferous
Nothing wrong with that, provided your entire film isn't composed completely of homages, nods and winks and not a lot else

Yeah. See, Tarantino got away with that in Kill Bill, because he still has his own style that is uniquely "Tarantinoesque". The same goes for Woody Allen, whose referencing becomes part of his oeuvre, just like his constant referencing of literature, music and art. I think that a director should have a style of his own and not mimic other directors' "film grammar". There's a countless amount of irritating Tarantino wannabes out there, but fortunately they've all been forgotten about. That's why I don't like to listen to bands who sound like other bands (and most mainstream music does sound the same).

I do love homages though, because it's nice for the director to pay tribute to the people that influenced him, and "getting" the in-jokes that you know every few people are going to get is a nice feeling. I liked Kill Bill, but I think it should be a one-off (well, two-off) for Tarantino, a little movie masturbation, and then he can go back to doing his own thing. Otherwise it might get tiring.

(Did you know that Danny Boyle often homages Apocalypse Now? It's his favourite film, and he inserts something Apocalypse-ish in all of his films, apparently. I'm not surprised, because the climax of 28 Days Later DID remind me of it...)
Old Jul 17, 2006, 05:37 PM   #9
Seraph

Nah see Tarantino just borrows from so many it all blends together to make 'him', his own orginality is an amalgamtion of what he saw that was cool in what came before.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 06:20 PM   #10
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

Well, you could say that every director does that. His style that I refer to is his dialogue, which many have commented on is quite different, but now everyone copies. His other "post-modern" stuff, like the non-linear narrative was all done before though. I always liked him as a screenwriter more than a director - in fact, my top two weren't even directed by him.

Every single one of his films homages everything, but it's in Kill Bill where he did it for the sake of homaging, and didn't even twist it in his own way. I mean, look at Pulp Fiction - not one of the stories is original, the point was to make a film version of the pulpy noir stuff he read in Black Mask (the film's original title) - you've got the story where a boxer is meant to go down, but instead kills the other fighter, the "sitcom" style plot where they have to get rid of the body before "The Wife" comes home...but it'll be Tarantino-ized by his dialogue.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 06:24 PM   #11
Seraph

Mmm possibly (though a sneaking suspsicion I'm only agreeing on the dialogue being his own true voice due to being too tired to think of any examples to contradict it).

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > 28 Days Later (2002)