Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Escape from New York/L.A. (1981, 1996) [movie series]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Escape from New York/L.A. (1981, 1996) [movie series]

1997. New York city is now a maximum security prison. | NY guide | LA guide

Old Oct 1, 2002, 03:32 PM   #1
JACKER
The Paradisal Man
1,359 flights since Dec 2001
Red face Escape From L.A.

I don't know what to make of it. I thought Kurt Russel did some over acting with his lines and speech, but as the film went on, I kind of didn't pay attention. The special effects were cheesy, I really was distracted by quite a few scenes, just in amasement it's awfulness. I'll write more on this later.
JACKER is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 12:24 PM   #2
JACKER
The Paradisal Man
1,359 flights since Dec 2001
Re: Escape From L.A.

I've seen some pretty damm cheesy movies in my time, but this one just made me feel cheap and dirty. And this doesn't suprise me that it's a John Carpenter film. I think the only movie I've actually liked from him, is the original Halloween. This guy's Sci-Fi action style I just don't dig. Suprisingly to me though, is that this movie isn't exactly as tensionless as the highly overrated Ghosts Of Mars (4/10). Now that's what I call borderline garbage.

I should probably say that I haven't seen the original Escape From New York, nor do I care to. I didn't notice anything that I couldn't catch up on right at that moment. I suppose what this movie does offer however, is a leave it all out on the field mentality.

Now I can enjoy movies that indulge itself into fun over the top Sci-Fi and fantasy (Battlefield Earth 8/10 and The Time Machine 7/10) but "fun" of course being the keyword. The whole plot just seemed like a device to watch our hero talk deep & slowly, then shoot someone or smoke a cigarette. It could also exist for the sol purpose to show case its extrordinary campy special effexts.

So it's 2013 and Los Angeles has broken apart from California from constasnt Earth quakes. Snake Plisskin (kurt Russel) has been captured by authorities and offered a deal by the president of the new United States; to rescue his daughter (who I guess was somehow brain washed) from the L.A. There's actually something for which the president's daughter posesses, that would put the world in ruins.

Ok, so I'm kind of falling a sleep describing the plot, so I guess I should get on with the good and bad: The story is what you could call incoherent. There's little holes left here and there, but the real problem is undefined character motivations. Like is Snake Plisskin a good guy or a bad guy? It seems he makes attemps to kill people whenever he can't and doesn't kill when he actually can. He was willing to kill officers making a deal with him, but not Steve Buschemi when he betrays him for the umpteenth time? And Kurt Russel's over acting mocho guy just doesn't help. The character (or the actor playing him) was trying too hard to be cool, and you can't look cool when you try.

So yes, this movie has some crummy acting and special effects. The utopia is also undescribed. I don't know how America lost all its freedom. In fact, we really don't see the actual world, just L.A. What it did have going for itself, was a couple of cool action scenes and a couple funny one-liners. There's a kind of cool ending, although I don't see why Snake would dso what he did. There was also this basketball scene which I found quite amusing. But ultimately, too many holes and not enough suspense.

5/10
JACKER is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 04:03 AM   #3
Vonstadt
Pilot
44 flights since Dec 2002

Like Assault on Prcindt 13, Escape from NY was Gothic and dark. Helplessly outnumbered Snake has to rescue the Prez....yadda yadda

We all know the story, a rich nice twist on Dark cynical sci fi..

But this ...Pah it is a cheesey 'do over'

Nothing new.

a waste of time, no a prequel or a take on Assault 13 with Snake as a sequel...adding something to his character then it would have been worth it.

A waste of talent, and time....John what has happened to ya???
Vonstadt is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2003, 07:05 PM   #4
Drone
Sector Marshall
584 flights since Jun 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by JACKER

I've seen some pretty damm cheesy movies in my time, but this one just made me feel cheap and dirty. And this doesn't suprise me that it's a John Carpenter film. I think the only movie I've actually liked from him, is the original Halloween. This guy's Sci-Fi action style I just don't dig. Suprisingly to me though, is that this movie isn't exactly as tensionless as the highly overrated Ghosts Of Mars (4/10). Now that's what I call borderline garbage.

I should probably say that I haven't seen the original Escape From New York, nor do I care to. I didn't notice anything that I couldn't catch up on right at that moment. I suppose what this movie does offer however, is a leave it all out on the field mentality.

Now I can enjoy movies that indulge itself into fun over the top Sci-Fi and fantasy (Battlefield Earth 8/10 and The Time Machine 7/10) but "fun" of course being the keyword. The whole plot just seemed like a device to watch our hero talk deep & slowly, then shoot someone or smoke a cigarette. It could also exist for the sol purpose to show case its extrordinary campy special effexts.

So it's 2013 and Los Angeles has broken apart from California from constasnt Earth quakes. Snake Plisskin (kurt Russel) has been captured by authorities and offered a deal by the president of the new United States; to rescue his daughter (who I guess was somehow brain washed) from the L.A. There's actually something for which the president's daughter posesses, that would put the world in ruins.

Ok, so I'm kind of falling a sleep describing the plot, so I guess I should get on with the good and bad: The story is what you could call incoherent. There's little holes left here and there, but the real problem is undefined character motivations. Like is Snake Plisskin a good guy or a bad guy? It seems he makes attemps to kill people whenever he can't and doesn't kill when he actually can. He was willing to kill officers making a deal with him, but not Steve Buschemi when he betrays him for the umpteenth time? And Kurt Russel's over acting mocho guy just doesn't help. The character (or the actor playing him) was trying too hard to be cool, and you can't look cool when you try.

So yes, this movie has some crummy acting and special effects. The utopia is also undescribed. I don't know how America lost all its freedom. In fact, we really don't see the actual world, just L.A. What it did have going for itself, was a couple of cool action scenes and a couple funny one-liners. There's a kind of cool ending, although I don't see why Snake would dso what he did. There was also this basketball scene which I found quite amusing. But ultimately, too many holes and not enough suspense.

5/10

Even if you didn't like Escape From L.A., you should still see Escape From New York. Like you, I disliked LA but love Escape from New York.

Last edited by Drone : Apr 26, 2004 at 11:03 PM.
Drone is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 08:15 AM   #5
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

Escape from New york, is definatly the better of the two,

the only thing I liked about L.A was the end,
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Escape from New York/L.A. (1981, 1996) [movie series]