Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Fahrenheit 451 (1966, 200?) [original and upcoming re-adaptation]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Fahrenheit 451 (1966, 200?) [original and upcoming re-adaptation]

Guy Montag was a fireman whose job it was to start fires... | original guide

Old Nov 11, 2000, 09:57 PM   #1
i_luv_juliaroberts
Apprentice
1 flights since Nov 2000
Cool Re: Good book, bad movie

I am a student in a middle school. In Language Arts class, we are reading F451. I personally think it's a good book. Confusing, but good. A couple of days ago, I decided to rent the movie. My teacher told us that the movie was down-right horrible. I watched the movie, and I thought that the movie was good, but the adaptation was bad. It was sooooooooooooooooooooo confusing. Let's take the example of when Clarrise and Montag are in her house after she ran away. One moment, they're telling each other they shouldn't see each other anymore in the basement, then the next minute, they're outside agreeing. Plus, Mildred, or Millie, was called Linda. She had no electronic bees in her ears, and plus, when she took the over dose, and the doctors came over and started pumping her, we didn't get to see the pumping. Clarrise doesn't die. I could keep on and on and on, but Mad TV is starting soon ;-) I heard a rumor that they are making a remake with Mel Gibson. Is this true? If you know anything about this, please e-mail me at webmaster@welovejuliaroberts.zzn.com Buh-bye <(•¿•)> Do not reply with a message here. Please send me an e-mail. Thanks
i_luv_juliaroberts is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2000, 05:24 AM   #2
Ramses
Administrator
209 flights since Jul 2000
Re: Good book, bad movie

Welcome aboard i_luv_juliaroberts!

Fahrenheit 451's movie adaptation is indeed not known to be perfect. François Truffaut later admitted that his script wasn't using perfect English fluidity and that, had he better mastered the language, he would have made a better film. I haven't read the book yet, but it's high up on my wish list

Mel Gibson was very interested in doing a remake of F451, but I hear some sort of legal dispute brought the process to a halt. Unfortunately, that means that the remake will not be for anytime soon... if it is ever made!

[ no offence, but I prefer writing here than emailing ]

Cheers!
Ramses is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2000, 09:16 PM   #3
Dark Regime
Recruit Pilot
14 flights since Nov 2000

I haven't seen the movie, but I LOVE the book. It's too bad someone would make a second rate movie (or third rate movie by the sounds of it) after Ray Bradbury's book.
Dark Regime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2001, 03:05 PM   #4
john boy
Recruit Pilot
9 flights since Jan 2001
Thumbs up Re: Good book, bad movie

I actually liked the film, although, i haven't
read the book. However, I found the film very
depressing!. I could never imagine a world
without the written word, it would be soo
damm boring!. One of my favourite moments is
when Montag is reading a book for the first time. As well, as when the head-fireman finds
that miniture book on the baby!.
john boy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2001, 09:20 PM   #5
Guy_Montag_Rocks
Apprentice
1 flights since Jan 2001
Talking The book is da bomb

I have not seen the movie [ I want to though.] Montag, Clarisse, and Faber are so cool. I love The Hound. Mildred is worthless and so is " the family". Beaty is kind of cool considering he is sort of the bad guy in the book. It is a great look on the world of how it could actually in my own opinion happen to be. It is a little hard to keep up with. Ray Bradbury is a genius. It is one of the best books I've read.
Guy_Montag_Rocks is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2001, 08:31 PM   #6
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Question Fahrenheit 451 Movie

Hi. What are the differences between the book and the movie? As in, the differences in the plot, and the differences in the way the characters are portrayed, and any differences in the issues that are highlighted. Thanks for ANY help! Waldo000000.
Old Sep 4, 2001, 06:18 PM   #7
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor
309 flights since Jan 2001
Thumbs up Good book, GREAT Movie!!!

I have read "Fahrenheit 451" twice. I have seen the film several times. I believe the movie is superior to the book. I did not care much for Fabre in the book and I did not like the ending of the book either. It ended with Montag meeting hobos that memorized books and with nuclear distruction of the city. In the movie we actually see the books burning. We see each page curl up in flame. The movie also shows us the woman sacrifice herself dying in the midst of a huge pile of burning books. The book people in the film were more fasinating characters than the hobos in the book. The symbolism in the film is wonderful. I feel greater empathy for Montag in the film then I ever did reading the book. Bradbury's book is good, but Truffaut's adaptation is excellent.
cabalcomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2001, 10:48 AM   #8
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Exclamation Re: Good book, bad movie

Get a life! This movie sucks and so did the book. What kind of loser would read this book twice and even think about watching the movie. I fell asleep trying to read both the book and the movie. The only reason I even attempted do either was for school.
Old Nov 5, 2001, 08:55 AM   #9
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Thumbs up Class viewing of F451

The movie was great. What a perfect world without reading, according to one student. Six including teacher, gave it a thumbs up. Why do you think Truffaut has Julie Christie as both Linda and Clarisse?
Old Nov 18, 2001, 05:06 PM   #10
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Smile Horrible Movie!

After reading Fahrenheit 451 for class, I was really excited to see a film made from it. It was a huge disappointment, being that:
1) It wasn't very futuristic (yes I understand it was made in the 60's)
2) Too many vital parts of the novel were left out i.e. Hound, Dead Clarisse, etc.
3) Bad music, poor cinematography.

The movie did not live up to its novel, in my opinion. It is true that it might have been more interesting had I not read the novel first. But it's a really great book, It makes you think about what can happen if people stopped doing what they didn't like (research papers, school work) and just did what they wanted to make themselves happy.

Kendra
alannafaye@hotmail.com
Old Nov 18, 2001, 08:12 PM   #11
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor
309 flights since Jan 2001
Good Book, GREAT MOVIE

I respectfully disagree. Having read the book twice and seen the film several times I personally believe the movie is superior to the book. I realize I may be in the minority on this issue. True, the hound is not in the film, but I feel it was a unessential gimmick in the book. Also, I like the girl in the movie better. I believe she makes Montag's motives and change more believable. I feel cheated when Clarrise dies so quickly in the beginning of the book. Once she is dead what's is Montag's motivation to read books. Also, the girl in the movie gives Montag a sharp contrast between her and his wife. The noticable differences between her and his wife give him reason to want to change his life which is so lonely and devoid of emotion. I really like the way the movie protrays the book people at the end. You get a real sense of community and purpose from them. This is vividly clear when the dying man recites himself to his grandson for him to learn and become the book. In the novel the book people are not much more than a small group of vagabonds wandering along the rail lines. The novel ends with the start of a nuclear war, somewhat cliche and unnecessary. I like the book and admire Bradbury for his unique vision, but I love the movie much more.
cabalcomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2001, 04:58 PM   #12
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Exclamation Dude guys, the book sux

Seriously, did you even read Fahrenheit 451? The author jumps around soooo incredibly much and doesn't give you time to get to know the characters at all...it had such potential with the plot but is missing the analysis to become a good book.
Old Dec 3, 2001, 07:13 PM   #13
cifey
Apprentice
1 flights since Dec 2001
Cool wide appeal

For me the appeal of the book was the psychology of the bored male. He grew up in a society which took away all of the inspiring things about living and he had no choice but to make drastic changes to regain control of his own mind. The cycle of stabilization and revolution continues.
cifey is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2002, 02:53 PM   #14
linksys
Starfighter
97 flights since Dec 2001

yes i liked the book also
linksys is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2002, 02:26 PM   #15
Unregistered
n/a flights since

i didnt like the movie! the book was so much better. i think they left key points out of the movie. it would be great if someone would remake the movie because i believe that it could become one of the best movies ever made if it was as good as the book!

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Fahrenheit 451 (1966, 200?) [original and upcoming re-adaptation]