Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Akira (1988)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Akira (1988)

Neo-Tokyo is about to E.X.P.L.O.D.E. | guide

Old Jun 5, 2003, 08:59 PM   #1
Capt. Bob
Recruit Pilot
10 flights since Jun 2003
My Opinion of Akira

Akira, in my opinion, is a good movie. However I feel it is vastly overrated (Prepares for posts of akira iz 1337 u r suXors LOLOLOLOL). The story is good, the Animation is OK, however some of the characters needed a little more development. On the other hand, it's a good introduction to the world of Anime.

Your thoughts?
Capt. Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 10:55 PM   #2
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001
Re: My Opinion of Akira

I think that it is an awesome movie. The mystique created by the film's minimal story and diolouge actually pulled me into the world of Akira far more effectievely then it would have had there been an extra few hours of backstory. It is primarilly a sensory experience, a tale largely told through cool postapocalyptic cityscapes break-kneck speed bike-chases and stunning feats of telekenieses accompenied by some of the greatest and most apropriate sound effects out there.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 05:22 AM   #3
Omega2064
Wing Commander
279 flights since Jun 2003

Its based on a pretty big manga series. Its alot like both Sprigan and Ghost in the Shell... Trying to condense all that into a single film where an OVA of maybbe 3 could have worked.

Very good art work, dynamic and with few shortcuts.
Though I agree its a bit over-rated, as is Ghost in the Shell (I MUCH preferred the manga of that.)

Omega2064
Omega2064 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 01:38 PM   #4
TastyWheat
n/a flights since
Thumbs up Re: My Opinion of Akira

One of the greatest movies i have ever seen.It is a raw,gritty,thought-provoking experience.I'll never forget the opening sequence motor-cycle fight through Neo-tokyo. The backrounds and music alone in those shot are phenomenal.

Simply put: A masterpiece.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 06:15 AM   #5
BalrogTim
X
1,044 flights since Mar 2002

This movie will always hold a special place in my heart, being the movie that introduced me to anime (as well as Ghost in the shell and ninja scroll).

I admit that it is difficult to squish the entire manga series into a movie, but they don't do a terrible job.
BalrogTim is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 06:47 AM   #6
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

I agree - awesome movie.

One of the problems with watching it on a small screen is that you miss quite a bit of the detail in the animation.
For example, in some places there are ten different shades of purple being used next to each other that the compression on to video and DVD just completely miss.
It is a film that has to be experienced on the big screen at least once to realise its true impact.
When I saw it first time I never knew it was a condensed version of a series: the film played almost flawlessly in terms of building characters up as much as needed.
But then this did introduce me to anime (not counting the "Battle of the Planets" tv series) so maybe my vision is slightly blinkered.

It is bettered, IMHO, by "Ghost in the Shell", and in certain ways by "Wings of Honneamise".
But "Akira" will remain in my eyes the GodFather of anime - to be revered forever.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 03:26 PM   #7
Evil Milk Man
Starfighter
105 flights since Mar 2002

This movie is very well the Moses of all Anime. Just pure f-ing platinum.

Quote:
Akira is the awesomest animated movie of all time -- especially recent time.

- God

Evil Milk Man is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Akira (1988)