Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The (2005)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The (2005)

Don't Panic

Old Dec 10, 2005, 03:20 AM   #1
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
Question What was with the towel?

Can someone explain the whole obssession with the towel, because I dont think I really fully understood at movie's end. I know it was good for something, but WHAT?
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 08:23 AM   #2
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002
Re: What was with the towel?

<<clears throat>>

The answer to this can be found in that wholly remarkable book, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy :

"To quote from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have. Partly it has great practical
value - you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindboggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a bush, but very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with."

I hope this has answered your question
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 05:01 PM   #3
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

I knew it! I knew it!

There is NO reason for the towel! That, Splend, was THE most obscure reason for an object as I can think of. It makes me think that Doug Adams just liked having the towel there and made up a reason for it.

I like it.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 02:51 PM   #4
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by mack
I knew it! I knew it!

There is NO reason for the towel! That, Splend, was THE most obscure reason for an object as I can think of. It makes me think that Doug Adams just liked having the towel there and made up a reason for it.

I like it.

you only say that because you don't know where your towel is.

Adams obviously knew where his was, and it's true, people will replace anything you've lost as long as you have your towel.
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 01:58 PM   #5
davecallaway200
Wing Commander
206 flights since Jun 2006

Have Towel will Travel
davecallaway200 is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The (2005)