Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ M -- R ] > Matrix, The (1999) > Matrix Revolutions, The (2003)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Matrix Revolutions, The (2003)

Everything that has a beginning has an end.

Old Jul 8, 2006, 06:41 PM   #1
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
Matrix Revolutions: Interviews

Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss, Laurence Fishburne, Joel Silver & Jada Pinkett Smith Interview
http://www.cinecon.com/news.php?id=0311041

The first question sets the elaborate question/short answer precedent for the rest of the conference.

Question: Movie trilogies seem to be getting more and more common. What are the obstacles of making a movie trilogy and what advice would you give people undertaking them now?

Laurence Fishburne: If you're going to go and undertake something like this, it helps to have a lot of money. (Laughter)

Question: Considering that the Revolutions ending is very open-ended, can we expect more Matrix movies in the future?

Joel Silver: (with a coy smile) Never happen. (Laughter)

Question: What from working on The Matrix, if anything, have you carried over into your personal lives?

LF: Well, I now keep a very large samurai sword in my home. (Laughter)

At this point, I realize there aren't going to be any hardball questions, nor any questions for Keanu about his film "Hardball." The motif seems to be unabashedly trite answers followed by sycophantic collective laughter. I'm beginning to get the idea. The next question goes to a Japanese writer seated behind me.

Question: Question for Keanu. In this movie, Neo has psychic powers. If you could have the powers, which one would you have?

Keanu Reeves: If I um...could have any of Neo's super powers? I'll take the flying. (Laughter)

Question: Do you approach a character differently knowing you'll be playing it over such a long period of time?

LF: I don't think any of us knew we were going to be playing the characters for this long. We sort of knew there was a trilogy somewhere, that they wanted to make these movies. I signed on for one movie and then it performed really, really well. Then it was made clear that there were two others they wanted to make back to back. For myself, it was about taking it one scene, one sequence at a time.

Question: Throughout the ages, heroes have come to be a part of society. For many kids, Trinity and Neo will be their heroes. Who are some that you had growing up as a kid, and what do you hope the kids of today will take from the heroes you portray in film?

KR: O.K.... (Laughter)

LF: My heroes were all great actors and great musicians. Movie heroes? I don't know. John Wayne, Charles Bronson, Kathleen Hepburn, Sidney Poitier, James Coburn. You know. It's not for us to say. If they get whatever they need, we've done proper servitude. Ultimately, it's the vision of the filmmakers.

Keanu, I notice, seems like a guy in line at the DMV with a dentist's appointment to go to afterwards. The click-clack of flashless camera shutters denotes moments when he seems to be aware of the assembly.

Question: On the 20th anniversary of Alien, a film having a strong and dominant lead female character, can you talk about your charactersí strength; as women with courage and the fact they're all coming together in this cumulative way?

Jada Pinkett: I think every woman has strength. In watching The Matrix, it's not that unusual to me. We don't see it a lot, but it's very natural. I didn't have to muster up any 'special techniques' to play Niobe. It was very natural.

LF: Yes, dear. (Laughter)

Question: How did your relationship with the brothers help you understand the Matrix more fully as the project evolved?

Carrie-Anne Moss: They are extraordinary people, and they absolutely knew how they wanted to see each and every moment of the film. They are really smart, interesting guys. It wasn't so important to me that I understood everything intellectually. For me, it was about my part and understanding the character. I think we're all conscious people looking to understand our place in the world and the movies really reflect that.

Question: For Carrie Anne, Keanu and Laurence. You've worked together on this project for over 6 years now. What emotions are going through your heads knowing this will probably be the last time you're all together?

CAM: It's great that we can all together one last time, say goodbye, and enjoy the fruits of our labor. It's very emotional. Reading on the poster "Everything that has a beginning has an end," made me cry the first time I saw it.

A handler previous to this question informed me I'd be asking next. I feel immediately timid and cancel the plans I'd made to ask my question in a thick german accent. Taking a cue from the guy on my left who addressed specifically the 3 main stars, I swallow hard and ask:

UGO: For Lawrence, Carrie Anne, and Keanu, what anime, books, films, or videogames have you come to appreciate as a result of your work on The Matrix?"

Morpheus asks me to reiterate the last part of the question, which I evidently hadn't spoken loud enough into the mike. Despite my best efforts at keeping relaxed, I realize I'm beginning to sweat like Meatloaf in concert.

UGO: What anime/films/books (I accidentally leave out video games this time) have you come to appreciate as.....a result of your Matrix experience?

LF: I was aware of those things before The Matrix. Anime, watching anime, reading books, watching movies....and I met these two guys who had this idea, an opportunity to encompass all of those things.

His eye contact instigates a spasm in the base of my neck common when I encounter celebrities.

LF: It was a great experience.

I purse my lips trying to get the word "but" out, attempting to segue into a reformation of my question realizing he has either misinterpreted, or didn't understand it. Simultaneously, the spasm in my neck causes me to break eye contact, and a handler grabs the mike redistributing it to someone else.

Question: Have any of you had the chance to see Reloaded or Revolutions yet in the IMAX format, and if so what did you think?

LF: I saw Reloaded on IMAX this summer. It was really a tremendous journey to see it that big.

Question: Will there be any subsidiary Matrix things like more anime, or other related material you can talk about in development?

JS: A company called Ubisoft is developing a multiplayer, online game that will become available as early as next summer. It will continue on the story, and develop the world of the Matrix fuller. It will also create more of a backstory to the films, carrying the story and certain characters forward.

Question: For Keanu, especially, this movie really brought a fashion sense in a way we hadn't seen in a while, particularly the long, black trenchcoat. Does that put extra pressure on you to become more fashion conscious after all this is over?

KR: I don't think so. (Laughter)

Question: How do you all feel saying goodbye to these characters after 6 years? Will it be hard to let go?

LF: The groovy thing about these characters is that they'll live with us for the rest of our lives. We don't necessarily have to say goodbye to them; we're going to be walking around with them for the rest of our lives. They're a part of us.

Question: Was there any resistance from the studio to shoot two movies at once?

JS: No, I mean the order was part of the idea. These two scripts dynamically forming one script, filming both at once was from the beginning the best idea.

I motion for the handler to give me another chance for a question, but sense I won't have time. If given the chance, I want to ask Joel Silver to elaborate more on the video game. Perhaps ask what level of involvement the Wachowskis had in it. Anticipating the end, I snap some shots, sans-flash, with my crap camera. They, of course, come out later completely black. It's then announced the next question will be second to last.

Question: Was it difficult working with the sunglasses? They were so dark. Did they obscure your vision while filming?

LF: They were hard to keep on, but I'm cool like that. (Laughter)

CAM: I remember them being painful.

Question: Is it really hectic getting ready for a premiere?

CAM: It can be. It can be really crazy. We've been getting ready for it since five this morning. Like in high school, getting ready for the big dance.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:22 PM   #2
scifi_lover
Trust No One
1,049 flights since Jan 2004
Re: Matrix Revolutions: Interviews

Man, that guy seemed really freaked out about being in front of them! I was like that with Penny Arcades Gabe and Tycho though... man, imagine being someone like that where people actually sweated and got nervous talking to you.

That's gotta be awesome.
scifi_lover is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 06:42 PM   #3
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies
1,104 flights since Jun 2004
Re: Matrix Revolutions: Interviews

Being that i am known all over the world for my greatness, i can tell you, it is awesome. It is indeed.
Demosthemighty is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ M -- R ] > Matrix, The (1999) > Matrix Revolutions, The (2003)