Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

This is the forum to get to know your fellow pilots and the ONLY place to talk about everything else not really relevant to sci-fi movies, including your personal loves and interests. A true pilot doesn't discuss these issues while on duty.

View Poll Results: Given the current events, is a Shi'ite uprising innevitable in Iraq?
Yes, a Shi'ite uprising is now innevitable. 3 50.00%
It's a volatile situation, but maybe it can be resolved. 3 50.00%
No, an uprising will not take place so soon. 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 5, 2004, 07:27 AM   #1
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001
Question Inssurection?

The situation in Iraq is deteriorating fast.

Just in the last few days, there has been a siege of the Spanish camp, an attack on the Italian/Portuguese convoy, several more attacks on U.S. troops.

Furthermore, the Shi'ites are beginning to follow a radical cleric, and have launched what appears to be the groundwork for a massive uprising.

The city of Fallujah has been locked down by Coalition forces, and heavy fighting has been reported in some areas in and around the city.

In Baghdad, a massive clash between Shi'ites and U.S. troops left dozens dead and hundreds wounded.

Also in Baghdad, three tank plattoons were sent in to restore order after Shi'ites took several police stations and government buildings all across the city.

In Najaf, Apache helicopters oppened fire on a Shi'ite crowd to disperse them.

In Kahatmiya, Shi'ite militants set up roadblocks into the area and stormed a police station.

Finally, in Basra, protesters seized the governor's office, though they seem peacefull at the time.

The Shi'ites seem to be rallying in what they call "Mehdi's Army", led by a radical cleric named Muqtada al-Sadr. He's another of those all-too-common Muslim fanatics that calls 9/11 "an act from God".

The irony is, Saddam persecuted and killed hundreds of thousands of Shi'ites. When the Coalition took Baghdad, they cheered and chanted. When Saddam was caughtm they sang and praised. Now they are free to speak their mind at last, they choose to do so by turning to Islamic extremism and killing those which returned their freedom of speech and cult.

So... the question is: Are we witnessing the beggining of a major and coordinated Shi'ite uprising in Iraq? If so, what can be done?
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 08:45 AM   #2
Oscar
Sector Marshall
756 flights since Feb 2002
Re: Inssurection?

Kill'em all.

Or maybe every eerm... non-iraq-troops should just abandon Iraq. What's the use... bring law and order, yea they really have managed to do nothing. Heard on the news last week that some non-iraq civilian workers or such were killed by some guerillas and after that a whole punch of Iraq civilians draged the bodies all over the streets and cheered. Sure that might not impliment the attitude of whole Iraq, but ****'em. And **** that stupid Bush too.

The first option on the poll felt the most realistic to me although I think the Shi'ites are too unorganised to commit a large scale uprising. But what do I know.
Oscar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 12:14 PM   #3
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

The way I see it: the war on terror upset the balance of power in the Middle East. Generally, when we (read: the US) upset the balance of power somewhere, (ie Haiti President asked to step down) it is because we want to put our puppet in place.

The problem is, Bush (and consequently "we" as Americans) are in over our heads, I think. Without delving into the religious and cult reasons (Im no expert), the Shi'ites most likely were glad that Hussein was out of power----they wanted it for themselves! All we did was drop in on a volatile situation and help one bloodthirsty side over the other (read: what's next? Israel-Palestine?).

I wouldnt be surprised to know that ALL Iraqis hate meddling westerners, including the ones we treat like children ("we so great, dont you know we freed you?"). Yeah, they're happy we shifted the balance of power in their favor, and now, they are making a run for their money before we set up our own puppet.

but what do I know?

absolute power corrupts absolutely.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 12:40 PM   #4
alxcote
Recruit Pilot
12 flights since Mar 2004

i think you forgot about making a 4th answer : Who give's a ****.

i vote 4.
alxcote is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 12:42 PM   #5
Iwata
Autarch

No, I just foolishly assumed members of the 4th option would simply not post.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 12:51 PM   #6
alxcote
Recruit Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by Iwata
foolishly assumed

..no further question.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 01:03 PM   #7
Iwata
Autarch

Sarcasm.

Check a dictionary.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 02:19 PM   #8
alxcote
Recruit Pilot

Whatever makes you feel better about yourself.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 02:32 PM   #9
Iwata
Autarch

You must be new here...

Don't you have anything better to do than post in a thread you don't care about?
Old Apr 5, 2004, 02:48 PM   #10
alxcote
Recruit Pilot

Sorry,

have i hurt your feelings ?
Old Apr 5, 2004, 02:54 PM   #11
Iwata
Autarch

Yeah, plenty.

Ok, being it you're new here, I'm just going to try and explain how a message board works: you see the topic, right? You click on hte link, and enter the thread. Then, if you feel you have anything relevant to say about the issue at hand, you post.

Now, some people might think that "Who give's a ****" is a clear sign one has no interest in the topic being discussed, right? So, why not just let the people who DO give a **** continue their discussion without it being disrupted by this kind of event?

In my quality as both a moderator and a member, and in the name of all of Sciflicks, I thank you for your kind understanding and your cooperation.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 03:03 PM   #12
alxcote
Recruit Pilot

didn't bother reading, too long boss.

just hope you realise i didn't care in the 1st place. Just don't go mad for nothing. You just seem sketch.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 03:11 PM   #13
Dajistano
326 flights since Jun 2002
Post Re: Inssurection?

Quote:
Originally posted by alxcote
didn't bother reading, too long boss.

just hope you realise i didn't care in the 1st place. Just don't go mad for nothing. You just seem sketch.

We've seen too many members such as yourself.
It may be better if you just go away.
Dajistano is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 03:19 PM   #14
Iwata
Autarch

Just let him be. Maybe he'll be another Mack. Annoying but sometimes hilarious.

Anyway, trying to get back on topic, the Coalition has issued an arrest warrant for the cleric responsible for the near-uprising and hte recent attacks on Coalition forces.

I'm not sure if announcing his arrest on a country filled with angry Shi'ites is going to do any good. I'd hate to be in the task force that's charged with picking him up now...
Old Apr 5, 2004, 07:27 PM   #15
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Iwata
Just let him be. Maybe he'll be another Mack. Annoying but sometimes hilarious.

*gasping with feigned hurt* how could you say that?
(I get no respect around here--->see me as the whipping girl? )

I am probably the most serious person in my (large) drama-centered family other than my dad. So it is always weird to be accused of histrionics by others.

Of course that also means I understand a cry for attention (yes, alxcote, thats you!), of any kind.

You little firestarter, you! (i know you are just stirring the pot You just have to remember that everyone is not always ready to play (a hard learned lesson, I know from personal experience. . .)

You want some attention----just direct your attention THIS way. I run circles around you-----ill wear you out, enjoy it, and respect you afterwards. And thats saying a lot, dont ya think?

Last edited by mack : Apr 5, 2004 at 07:35 PM.
mack is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]