Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)

We built a super computer with a mind of its own and now we must fight it for the world!

Old Jan 7, 2003, 08:58 PM   #1
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor
309 flights since Jan 2001
Colosuss: The Forbin Porject

Has anyone seen this scifi thriller? It was released in 1969.

It is about a U.S. Defense Department computer, named Colossus, created by Dr. Charles Forbin (Eric Braeden) Colossus develops a mind of its own and starts sharing classified information with its Russian counterpart, a computer called Guardian. The two computers begin working together as one despite the attempts of the U.S. and U.S.S.R. to stop them. Between these two computers they control all the nuclear missiles in both the United States and Russia. Soon the computers start to take control over their creators, especially of Dr. Forbin. This is an excellent film. Colossus is a far more dangerous computer than HAL.

cabalcomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 11:20 PM   #2
Charlie
Wing Commander
342 flights since Mar 2002
Re: Colosuss: The Forbin Porject

Hi there Cabalcomb--- I saw this --possibly 15 years ago.. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to view it again. It was excellent. I seem to remember the actress who plays "Richie Cunningham's mother (happy days) taking a part in this? -- for anyone reading this-- the film is definately not a comedy.. I would like to see it again. If it came out on DVD I'd buy it.
Charlie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2003, 06:28 PM   #3
Omega2064
Wing Commander
279 flights since Jun 2003

A very complex movie. Perhaps this is how Terminator started.

Colossus is cold and calculating and yet has certain needs and desires of its own making it a complex beast to deal with.

The ending is chilling and not what one would expect.

Omega2064
Omega2064 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 01:33 PM   #4
arthurclarke9@m
n/a flights since
the forbin project

yes i remember this film years ago myself and was very impressed with the storyline.liked the idea of the computer being far smarter than its creator its a bit like hal in 2001 only this time it wins.isn't it funny how it shares its name with the first true computer ever built?
Old Feb 14, 2004, 05:56 PM   #5
Unregistered
n/a flights since

And don't forget that the "Collossus" logo (seen on the entrances to the underground complex and a few other places) is a blue triangle (representing the mountain in which the system is imbedded) with a "C" in it. It looks hauntingly like the blue AOL icon. Spooky.

AOL: The Case Project
Old May 12, 2005, 02:51 PM   #6
darkjedi
Sector Marshall
609 flights since Mar 2002

I'm finally getting to see this movie soon. Wil be getting it from netflix.
darkjedi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 01:09 PM   #7
THX
Recruit Pilot
13 flights since Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurclarke9@m
yes i remember this film years ago myself and was very impressed with the storyline.liked the idea of the computer being far smarter than its creator its a bit like hal in 2001 only this time it wins.isn't it funny how it shares its name with the first true computer ever built?
Thanks for ruining the ending there.
THX is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)