Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (2001)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (2001)

Enter a new dimension, beyond all you imagine, where fantasy becomes reality, | guide

Old Dec 28, 2005, 02:56 PM   #1
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002
Advent children

yes, the movie which we all want, the movie we all crave, the movie which should have made this into final fantasy (Series) forum, but due to ramses not being here it isn't,

I have seen the great movie (a few months ago actually), which is advent children, and yes, it is as damn good as it looks, yes it is damn cool, and yes, you should have seen it by now, best film of this year!

and if you havn't seen it yet, go now, leave your countries, emmigrate to japan, buy it and leave with the bliss that is FF7:advent children, the movie sequal to the game, that delivers and delivers, and has everything you'd expect from a "proper FF movie" not the crap that was spirits within
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 03:05 PM   #2
Azrael
Wing Commander
442 flights since Jul 2003
Re: Advent children

Indeed.

AC is the movie every true fan of FF7 have been waiting.

Non fans will enjoy it too because of the action but true fans will love each scene of it.

Tetsuya Nomura have really outdone himself with his work in the move.

How come you are still reading this and havent watched it yet?
Azrael is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 08:44 AM   #3
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall
782 flights since Oct 2002

I went out and purchased the Special Edition DVD. And on that remark, don't waste your money. The extras arn't worth it.

As for the movie itself, freaking awesome. I did, though, have some problems with the overall flow of the move. It seeemed, to me, a little choppy. And some of it didn't piece together as much as I would have liked. But, it's understandable. The people who actually created the movie part of movie, have little to no experience doing fully cinimatic stories. As the director stated, up to that point, they have only had experience doing FMVs. So it's obvious that the entirety of the movie ran like one big FMV. I've also heard some people complain about unrealistic camera angles. The director himself chose to do that on purpose, becuase, and I quote, "We wanted it to look cool." And it did. As far as the story goes, top notch. Some say that the return of Sephiroth(Yay! I finally have a reason to use it. xD) was not a good idea. Originally, the creators thought so to. But they realized early on that no antagonist could live up to that legand, no matter how hard they tried. So they chose instead to have three minor antagonists be a precedence to the primary . I also wasn't to happy with their decision on the design for Bahamut. I think they should have stuck with the one(s) used in Final Fantasy VII, instead of creating some Final Fantasy X hybrid. But these are very minor flaws to the sheer awesomeness that is Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.
Kieraganion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 08:58 AM   #4
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000

I thought it had to much action and very little plot.

Also I think it is a bit unfair to the people that did not play the FF7 Game . Because Advent children explians very little and assumes you know everything from the games.
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 09:27 AM   #5
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall

Probably why the movie was a direct to DVD release, as it has theatrical pontential. There is no mistaking that it was total fanfar, directly targeted to fans of the game, that much is certainly obvious. They arn't prepared to attempt something on the scale of Spirits Within just yet (for obvious reasons). Although the plot itself is easier to grasp if you know the backstory, it doesn't solve all the problems. That I'll agree on. They tried to cram way to much in, and the end result was not enough being explained. It's not that the story itself sucked, oh no, I honestly think this would have work so much better as 13 part seires.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:42 AM   #6
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies
1,104 flights since Jun 2004

I personally, loved the movie. I have a few complaints...which is why did Cloud continually get semi manhandled by those two lackeys? I can kinda understand the last guy, but the one with the gun and the other long haired guy...come on. Cloud killed Sephiroth...now, just a few years later, he canhardly defend himself. He constantly just defends them off, never really attacking. But then magically, refinds his strength.

And what the hell was that attack Cloud pulled off at the end? Not really a complaint, but it looked cool. Was it Knights of the round? Or some kinda of revamped omnislash? Who knows? Who really cares? It looked kick ass. So why then, am i complaining? I'll tell you why...oh, i'll tell you....i'm bored. I thrive on misery. Thats why.
Demosthemighty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:09 PM   #7
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall

Omni Slash!
Old Jul 15, 2006, 03:06 PM   #8
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies

It was? Man, it woulda looked cooler if he just wailed on him like in the game. It looked a little like Knights of the Round to me. Course, i could be wrong.

I'm sure its happened once before.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 03:52 PM   #9
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

it was omni slash type 4. a level 5 limit break of awesome strength,

and I found the english translation to be a little lacking on some details, essentially, the three beings are the remenants of sephiroth, and they seek mother aka jenova, the geo-stigma is an anti-life stream, it disrupts the cycle of death, life and rebirth, trapping those who died from sephiroths infection of the life-stream (At the end of the first game, where cloud kills him within it)

the three, are unaware, that Sephiroth stopped merely being an offshoot of jenova, and has become Jenova, due to jenova having no real mind of it's own, this is why, when merged with the jenova cells, Kadaj is consumed, and Sephiroth is reborn.

As for the loss of skill and power, looking at it simply, over time, your skills degrade if not in constent use, but like anything previously learned, it's easier to regain such lost knowledge and strength again.

The film also removes any chance of aeries resurrection being retconed into the remake that officially, isn't happening
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:54 AM   #10
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies

I still think the omnislash on the game looked cooler.

And the little scene where Kadaj finally became Sephiroth, right in the middle of Clouds attack, had the effect of an orgasm of sorts...at least with the people i was watching it with. Not like a real orgasm...but that kinda release. You spend the whole movie wondering, waiting, hoping he'll come back. And when he did, it was just kinda like "Huh!...........there he is!"
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:36 PM   #11
Unicron
Sector Marshall
653 flights since Jul 2003

because I am such a nerd, I got this sword after many years of wating
http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=2362
Unicron is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (2001)