Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Off-World Discussion Forum

Forum for science fiction related material not listed in Movies Galleria or Upcoming Movies ONLY. If you want to chit-chat, please visit the Pilot's Mess.

Old Oct 2, 2008, 09:40 AM   #1
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002
Farscape

I've been re-watching farscape recently (I happen to have it all on dvd) and I'd almost forgotten how good it was. I remember when it first came on telly and I thought a sci-fi show with puppets from Jim Henson's creature shop? That'll be for kids then I thought, how wrong I was, I found it one of the most absorbing, enjoyable, original, interesting, thought provoking and damn funny shows I had seen in a long time. The longer it went the better it got, I don't know how well it was received in America, if at all, considering it was made by an Autralian company essentially for the sci-fi channel here in the UK, but I'm guessing most of you guys have seen it.

I found it incredibly refreshing to have a sci-fi show that wasn't trekish, where humans are all powerful do-gooders. All the characters had real bite to them and real flaws. The universe the writers created was filled with intrigue and I couldn't wait to see the next episode. Just a shame it got cancelled after the fourth season, of course fan power prevailed in the end and the studio threw some money at it so they could make the peacekeeper wars, which was equally successful I believe.

Remember this is pre-Firefly which was equally refreshing, enjoyable and funny and met a very similar end!

Funny how that happens, and yet utter shi/te continues to be made and forced upon us by T.V.

Ah well, such is life

(Plus Farscape had tasty ladies, even if they were aliens, it always helps keeps an audience)
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002
Re: Farscape

I havn't watched farscape since I bought the ultimate collection on release, never did get to season 4 again (stopped watching around the giant space work episode in season 3 "Green Eyed Monster" ) one of my favourites though is season 2's "crackers don't matter" first appearance of neural clone scorpius "harvey"

Scorpius: Go on. Kill her. Then we'll have pizza and margarita shooters. Do it. Do it.
Crichton: [aims gun at Scorpius] Nobody has margarita with pizza.
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 03:54 PM   #3
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Never got into it. The writing just never did it for me. Pretty puppets though
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 05:24 AM   #4
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002

Crackers don't matter was a superb episode, watched that again the other day, "Humans are SUPERIOR!!!"

You really should finish watching it, the payoff is good, though you have to watch the peacekeeper wars otherwise you'll end up with that same, oh.... feeling at the end of firefly due to the cancellation of the show.

Like any other show it had its good and bad episodes, but I always felt the good outweighed the bad. Maybe it just appealed more to my sense of humour.

I particularly enjoyed putting a 'normal' guy into the sci-fi world, with all the pop culture references one would expect if you were in the same position. No setting it in the future, the classic other side of the galaxy, as such I could always empathise with Crichton far more than with the star trek humans. Still.... bit of trek's always good.
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum